It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Most Members of ATS Have Any College Education?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I'm sure many of us hold degrees on this site. I for one hold an associates degree, working on a bachelor's in IT. However with that being said. I'll put it like this... I know people without degrees. Some without diplomas that are extremly smart, dumb in ways, but smart. Owning and running successful companies. I also know people holding degrees that are plain dumb. Going no where fast. So now we're at book smarts vs street smarts or how much of the two makes for the smarter person? Thats where I'll leave it open for you guys to argue. LoL

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Aqualung2012

I've been trained in graphic design and photo manipulation software as well as 3D animation software, for which I received a certificate for multimedia applications.

I also completed a 2 year college course in IT, networking, and specifically network security.

I'm A+ Certified, Network+ certified, and have a few basic Microsoft certifications, but I have as of yet, not attempted any Cisco certifications.

I feel this prior education gives me insight into analyzing video and images posted here in various sections (paranormal, UFOs, etc) and I believe my background and current career in the IT field gives me insight into security matters, hacking such as anonymous, and government tracking, all of which are popular topics here.

Though of course I don't limit myself to only those areas where I have training, I'm interested in it all.

I'm not going to post the schools I attended nor my certification IDs as I do prefer a little anonymity
edit on 23-12-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

I think this was just a formality to me, i needed the piece of paper to get a job with the skills i've had since i was 13 years old.

Ditto, I've been tinkering and playing with this stuff since before the internet when you had to dial into a BBS. I taught myself Qbasic programming in junior high when I found someones high school textbook on the bus. Everything else just seemed like a logical extension of that.

I'm a creative person, so I set out to work with computers graphically, but found not only was that field over-saturated, but it was also a crushing field for anyone who liked art for arts sake. That's when I got more interested in the hardware that makes the computer actually work.

I really owe it to a junior high school teacher who noticed how quickly I learned things computer wise. He was my computer aided drafting teacher and ended up having me learn the 3D aspects of autocad to teach him, so he could teach the class. As a side project a few other students and I were handed several boxes of unorganized computer parts and told to make it work.

From that point on I've been working with computers as a hobby and a career.
edit on 23-12-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

You are beyond me my friend, I can do programming, i did it in junior high as well but we had macintosh computers (poop), and what did we learn... Ill think of it in a sec.

Anyways yeah, i've always had this enormous capacity to learn electronics and technology, i was ripping apart little model cars with 100's of pieces and putting them back together when i was 7 or 8, and then electricity was my think right up until we got our first computer, and even after that too (electricity fascinates me),
Then we got the computer, and it was over.
I had the computer mastered in weeks, and i was teaching my parents how to use it!

When it comes to hardware side of things, i own that. I love hardware (my computer kicks ass, i built it myself). Graphics design was never really my thing though, i tried at it but im not all that artistic these days.

I have my A+, I forgot the test day for me Net+ so i effed that up. I have several other certs i -can- get ( Sever 2008, Application infrastructure 2008, novell netware, active directory, and a couple others i think.), as the cost to take them was covered by my tuition. But i landed a job in telecommunications right after school (actually it was a work term, a paid one, which was a 2% chance of happening. I was so grateful), it was a temp job, and when the temp job was over, said telecommuncations company contracted the job i was doing to another company, and i got a job there for roughly the same pay. Is it the best pay? not by a long shot. But it pays the bills and rent and keeps me fed. And i dont think i can explain how awesome my office is, i think i will show you with a link (its a facebook image, might not work) Picture

And the programming language i learned in grade 9 or 10 wassss.. Turbo pascal? It was super easy, beyond easy. I even corrected the teacher sometimes.

(I'm only 23 by the way, i dont remember a time before internet, well, i remember not having it. But it existed.)
* I mis spoke, we got our first computer when i was 11, not 13.)

edit on 23/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I have a degree in psychology, and criminal justice, and I've been through nursing school. I've worked as an agent for bands, breifly in law enforcement, nursing, and I've worked as a security guard...... But I think life experience is the most important. My interests are all over the board, after school and working for a short time in what I THOUGHT I wanted to do, I just got burnt out, and I now work in a job which pays WAY less, but which I enjoy a lot more (911 operator)..... In this job, I can incorporate a little bit of everything I've learned.Everyone thought I was "wasting my education" by going to school and not pursuing that career afterwards, but hey, it's my life....and I don't consider learning a waste. I just apply it to other areas of my life....and like I said, I use it even in my current job (the psychology comes in handy when people are hysterical)There are so many people here who are well educated, and many who are just plain smart.....degrees really don't determine how smart someone is....I know plenty who have degrees, and have NO common sense
So yeah....there are a few "confused" people on here at times, but most all here are very intelligent and grounded from my experience.
edit on 12/23/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I know plenty of people with degrees who are stupid as hell
But it depends on your definition of stupid, a degree just gets you a job in something. Do you know it? Yes.
But it doesn't make you smart, sure it makes you smart in whatever field you took, of course it would.

But if your watching TV with someone with a degree, and some reporter is talking about the imminent collapse of the EU, and all you hear is "she should have parted her hair the other way", then you have yourself a dumbass.

Or an airhead.
Whatever you may call them =P

But then again, i have the same issue with people who are older than me as well. I was taught to always respect my elders, which i do!. But just because you are my 'elder' does not make your word any more important than mine, and does not mean you are more mature than me (i've seen some immature or just plain dumb people who are older than me), And here i was thinking it was people younger than me.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
I know plenty of people with degrees who are stupid as hell
But it depends on your definition of stupid, a degree just gets you a job in something. Do you know it? Yes.
But it doesn't make you smart, sure it makes you smart in whatever field you took, of course it would.

But if your watching TV with someone with a degree, and some reporter is talking about the imminent collapse of the EU, and all you hear is "she should have parted her hair the other way", then you have yourself a dumbass.

Thank you, AzureSky. Hilariously well-made point.

And you can't fix stupid. No matter how many degrees you slap on top of it.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I went to college. They guaranteed that before graduating, they would assist me into a job with the field I was paying heavily to study. Their job placement was one of the main reasons I went with that particular university.

$52,000 and 5 years later. I have yet to work a job in the field I studied (with my field of study being guaranteed to get you a career, even before graduating!....stupid hype)

So now, I am currently laid off, for the 3rd time (this last time, the company completely left out of the US, giving me an option to move to Germany, which I can't take due to friends & family) and owe close to $55,000 now even though I've made every payment each month for the past 5 years. ( I got penalized for making some payments during the "grace period" ) My loan ends in 5 more years.

To top it off, not only is their 0 work anywhere in my county (5 towns), but recently the government kicked the company U.S.E.C. (United States Enrichment Corp.) out.

So yeah, started out great and exciting, then I got out into the real world and I don't like it one bit.

edit on 12/23/2011 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Yeah, I've got all kinds of wonderful knowledge floating around in my head from college, seminars, multiple certifications, and so on. So what.

At present, I'm self employed in the computer industry, which I have decades of experience in. But I have the qualifications to work in several other professions. I can and have trained employees, managers and supervisors. There are companies still using methods and paperwork I developed 30 years ago when I worked for them.

I have worked for retail chains as someone who finds problems, and eliminates them.
I have EPA certifications, industrial certifications, chemical certifications, and others I won't list here.
But if you met me face to face, you would probably think I never made it past high school. Because I'm not impressed with myself, or my "edumacation".

In some ways, the less formal your education the better. I'm not worried about your education when I'm reading your post. You either make sense or you don't. You either have a perspective or insight to share, or you don't.

I'm reasonably sure Slayer69 is not a professional archaeologist. But I want to hear what he has to say about old and new finds. Why? Because he isn't stuck in an educated stupor that keeps him from thinking outside the box. He researches, he studies, and forms an opinion based on what he's learned. And if he doesn't know, he'll say so. If he thinks he might be wrong, he'll say so. I appreciate that.

I'm also reasonably certain Phage is not an astrophysicist. But I want to hear what he has to say. Why? Because he knows the mainstream and official stance on many topics. I may not always agree with him. But I value his insight.

The list could go on. There are many members here I respect because of their insight and perspective (whether or not I agree with them), not because of their formal education.
edit on 12/23/2011 by Klassified because: punctuation

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Formal education is what the government sees.
Real education is what you teach yourself, how you learn, how you learn it an etc.

I never learned about economics in highschool. It started here and i learned myself, am i an expert? Hell no. But i understand it.
Same with politics, never taught it in school. Learned it here.

Come to think of it. I've learned a lot of things that started with ATS (haha),
And some things i stumble upon myself. Its fun to learn things, read things, especially SLAYER69s stuff, he has some awesome threads here.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I have a BA in business and I minored in art basically took a bunch of art classes to fill out needed credits. I used my degree to do outside sales at a very large rental car company before I was severely injured in a car accident now im retired and disabled my wife is an accountant in the oil and gas industry. She has a few degrees I just payed off the loans for last year.
myself and my wife still take college classes to stay current and for personal interest. If i could do it all over again I would have studied to be a scientist or engi.
edit on 23-12-2011 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I am a college trained as a Web Developer and Designer and specialize in Web Application Development. I am also an avid researcher on a variety of subject such as religion, history and dabble in Philosophy and Psychology with help from a few mentors.

My way of learning involves a lot of research followed by multiple sources. I try also to keep an open mind and remain unbiased, but as everyone knows, that is very difficult.
edit on 23-12-2011 by EspyderMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 10111011
I'm sure many of us hold degrees on this site. I for one hold an associates degree, working on a bachelor's in IT. However with that being said. I'll put it like this... I know people without degrees. Some without diplomas that are extremly smart, dumb in ways, but smart. Owning and running successful companies. I also know people holding degrees that are plain dumb. Going no where fast. So now we're at book smarts vs street smarts or how much of the two makes for the smarter person? Thats where I'll leave it open for you guys to argue. LoL

Ill take both over any one of them. As I grew up, I grew up in bad neighbourhoods and did bad things, when i got older I went and became educated and then took that and educated myself more. To me everyone should have both sets of smarts or else your doomed to repeat simple mistakes.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aqualung2012
I'm posting this thread in an attempt to convince my fiance that there are many highly qualified people here in our beloved forum. Of course, many of us (including myself) do not have a college education, nor a degree in anything for that matter. I do not feel it necessary to have such certification, but she does, and I feel she represents a larger number of people who would judge credibility on well... credentials.

The question I would like to pose is: Who does posses any certification, any degrees, and/or any education relevant to any of the items in the gamut of topics here on ATS?

Please, for the sake of our reputation, share with myself and others viewing this thread your qualifications for being a presenter of truth, as we may all take another step towards empiricism.

(Note: Anyone and everyone is welcome to reply to this thread. I am simply asking for any specific degree/training as well as experience in any given field. Also, feel absolutely free to link any threads you have posted yourself.)

Thank you very much and I look forward to proving my point.

If the college degree is getting you the job at the burger place or slinging beer at the local strip club . Whats the point of getting it ? Status symbols are so cliche , some of the threads on here don't get taught in places of higher learning . You don't need a college degree for social interaction , umm don't ask her that , she might not be your fiance after .

Marriage is an institution to some , tell her your looking forward to enrolling into that one . When does a person graduate from that ?

edit on 23-12-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'm 19 years old and currently attending a university as a sophomore. I plan on majoring in Anthropology and possibly minoring in Biology. My major might not land me a well paying job, and my parents keep stressing that, but I want to do this and continue on to graduate school.
edit on 12/23/2011 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Here's a thread that was done a couple months ago Wide range of careers of ATSr's

Lots of intelligent people here, wide range of interests and experiences.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hello All!

I am finishing up my Masters degree in Ancient History, and working on entrance to a PhD program to become (eventually) a professional ancient history researcher. I am very interested in the way that research is conducted in both conspiracy work and scholarly materials. The training that I have received has helped (me at least) to better identify argument fallacies and manipulated sources. I also am undergoing extensive ancient language training so that I will be able to read the sources on my own, which is essential. However, I do believe that there are way more intelligent individuals out there than myself that have not taken the road of formal academia, and are presenting solid research on a whole host of mysterious happenings. I also know that formal academic training presents only the accepted (conservative) view of history, which in my opinion is more close-minded at times than open. Historians are trained to view a situation through the lens of multiple viewpoints. I enjoy listening to what other researchers who go against the established historical narrative have to say. That is why I visit this site!

edit on 23-12-2011 by TheAncientsKnew because: added info

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Within one hour of the OP, my fiance has gotten pissed off and went to bed. Her point of "ATS is nothing but conspiracy idiots," has -I feel- been made null and void.
This would be more of a direct reply to your fiance:
[color=FFF9BF]People lie. Faceless people on the internet, lie even more.

It is not wise to blindly believe everything you hear/read.

However, I hope this thread continues on, if only for the sake of helping me spot people worth listening to in this vast cacophony of blathering.
I hope you were just tired while typing this, and don't actually feel that way. Having a predisposed opinion in regards to who is 'worth listening to', based solely on the degree that someone tells you they have, is a terribly flawed logic.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
My three year older sister is a 91% grade average graduate from UBC in IR or international relations. Myself with no post secondary except my LLQP or life underwriters course and my ground school for aviation. My sisters net wealth 10 years after highschool -$76,279, my net wealth after 7 years $125,000. After highschool I have worked; on pipelines, been an operator, cooked, bartended, was a financial advisor for clarica before they became sun life, built an add-on to YVR, built a water treatment center and a hockey arena. When I say built I mean help build by no mean am I taking credit formtheir completion.
In Edmonton I worked with the engineer that planned a pipeline that was placed under the Fraser river in Vancouver and made discoveries frontiers of construction. He was and remains the best engineer that I have worked with. He however does not have the ring or paper credentials required by engineers. He learned from the school of life which is where everything originates from. Knowledge is not solely taught, all knowledge did not generate from words on paper it is merely recorded.
The problem with college and university is standardization. Most post secondary schooling varies it's curriculum and grades on a curve. If one semesters students don't grab the concept someone with a 95% final is the same as a semester that grasps the concepts and receive a 75%. It just depends on what the top mark is in the class. Talk about another flawed system.
A family friend that is the head of the dental technician program at UBC is currently working with international universities to work on a standardization on the curriculum. This way a dental technician in Japan or China has the same credentials as someone doing the course in Canada. Maybe if this happens across the board I might pay for post secondary. Until then I am taking full advantage of the knowledge available free. At least I won't have a professor cramming his ideologies into my already busy brain.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
A college degree doesn't make one more or less qualified to speak on a subject than anyone else. That slip of paper only proclaims the holder a publicly pronounced conformist to the status quo, and ultimately the bearer of a lighter purse.
Besides, there isn’t really any degree one might obtain of which pertain to conspiracies, though relatable subjects may aid in such debates.
This has already been mentioned, but I’d put more faith in the mind of a freethinking person who frequents a library before I believed a University Professor, especially on fringe subject matter.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I have to agree with the person who said that in the big scheme, it should not dictate who you pay attention to. I think everyone has something to offer, degree or not.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Though I had great impatience with formal education, dropping out of college, I will say there are several subjects I have independently studied for which My knowledge level would be at least a BS or BA degree equivalent - economics being one.

Just because We have no degree conferred upon Us by some "saintly" organization does NOT follow that We are ignorant or uneducated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join