It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Do Most Members of ATS Have Any College Education?

page: 2
14
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Its sad that you need a piece of paper to prove you know something, wish they did things based on skill rather than academics. Someone could have 4 years in university to be an electrical engineer, but he could know # all. While the person who studied on their own (because they -wanted to-) would be denied the job without that piece of paper.

Thats just the world. Yes i am educated. I learned more outside of highschool and college than i ever did in those institutions. I currently work for an atlantic wide telecommunications company as a broadband tier 2 technician.


That's exactly what I face (albeit on a much smaller and cheaper scale) with tattooing. I studied for two years breaking my back in a tattoo shop... move out of the state, can't afford the license at this time, so I'm no able to get hired at any shop. Of course, you want to be sure your tattoo artist knows his p's and q's, but the point remains: Whether or not you have the training is almost irrelevant unless you have the paper. It is sad.




posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


IMHO education isnt anything really special, anyone can achieve really, i know many "educated" idiots. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge helps nobody. Wisdom, can be learned by all and applied to every aspect of life. IMO Wisdom = the proper application of knowledge.

The library is the proper home of the true power of the human race. The accumulation of knowledge in those buildings can build worlds. as previously stated, should TSHTF the library is on my list of must visit locations before leaving town to my undisclosed wilderness sanctuary.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


I feel this prior education gives me insight into analyzing video and images posted here in various sections (paranormal, UFOs, etc) and I believe my background and current career in the IT field gives me insight into security matters, hacking such as anonymous, and government tracking, all of which are popular topics here.




Thats what I'm getting at. You don't have to be a former member of Blackwater or ex-CIA to have valuable input on an array of fields. Your training is very impressive and as such I would hold your statements in a bit higher regard than one who just says "fake."

Thanks



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 




Of course, you want to be sure your tattoo artist knows his p's and q's, but the point remains: Whether or not you have the training is almost irrelevant unless you have the paper. It is sad.


My tattoo artist learned the trade from his friend, casually, and now runs his own shop out of his home. Some professionals working out of shops here can't even begin to touch the work this guy can do, at basically cost. As well, he's completely mastered the art of the cover up tattoo with nothing to work on but himself, the guy literally taught himself some of this stuff tattooing his own arms and legs.

A piece of paper is usually required to get a decent stable job that's going somewhere, but it's not a real indication of intelligence.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 




Of course, you want to be sure your tattoo artist knows his p's and q's, but the point remains: Whether or not you have the training is almost irrelevant unless you have the paper. It is sad.


My tattoo artist learned the trade from his friend, casually, and now runs his own shop out of his home. Some professionals working out of shops here can't even begin to touch the work this guy can do, at basically cost. As well, he's completely mastered the art of the cover up tattoo with nothing to work on but himself, the guy literally taught himself some of this stuff tattooing his own arms and legs.

A piece of paper is usually required to get a decent stable job that's going somewhere, but it's not a real indication of intelligence.


apprenticeships are very highly under rated, the best education comes from hands on application, especially when you have a master of that profession guiding your every step.

i really wish that they where more common then a goodly portion of these degrees and colleges would be unnecessary.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
***Update***

Within one hour of the OP, my fiance has gotten pissed off and went to bed. Her point of "ATS is nothing but conspiracy idiots," has -I feel- been made null and void.

However, I hope this thread continues on, if only for the sake of helping me spot people worth listening to in this vast cacophony of blathering. It's really impressive and somewhat inspiring to hear all of your accounts and thoughts on the education system itself.

(and as a side note... not at all to pander, but how about some flags so this thing can stay up there?)



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I have a bachelor's degree in Business Administration along with a MBA and Masters in Mechanical Engineering. Although all that does though is show that I am capable of reciting prevailing methods and theories - not necessarily how things really work.

I do not have a critical thinking degree from an institution of learning and, as far as I know, there is no such degree unfortunately. Critical thinking is what is needed to participate intellectually on this site.

Tell your girlfriend that curiosity and critical thinking are the mainstays here at ATS, not recitation of what others think.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aqualung2012
***snip***
Please, for the sake of our reputation, share with myself and others viewing this thread your qualifications for being a presenter of truth
***snip***


It is a mistake of biblical proportions to believe that scholarly qualifications specifically entitles you to be a "presenter of truth".

In college, as in other places, one learns what people are telling you that you should learn. They judge you by yardstick they have invented.

If you can back your claim it doesn't matter what education you have.

That being said I think that the most important qualification you can have on ATS is a critical mind towards the information given. Following a propesterous claim out of fear for being called Sheeple isn't critical thinking. Open minded is not the ability to accept free fantasy because it might be true in a universe following different laws than ours.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
***snip***
The library is the proper home of the true power of the human race. The accumulation of knowledge in those buildings can build worlds. as previously stated, should TSHTF the library is on my list of must visit locations before leaving town to my undisclosed wilderness sanctuary.


And I have worked in the very same library for more than 35 years helping anyone who cares to go there to get whatever information they need. As well as a fiction escape and experience.

Hooraay for us.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
I have a bachelor's degree in Business Administration along with a MBA and Masters in Mechanical Engineering. Although all that does though is show that I am capable of reciting prevailing methods and theories - not necessarily how things really work.

I do not have a critical thinking degree from an institution of learning and, as far as I know, there is no such degree unfortunately. Critical thinking is what is needed to participate intellectually on this site.

Tell your girlfriend that curiosity and critical thinking are the mainstays here at ATS, not recitation of what others think.


Nailed it. You are 100% correct. You share my standpoint in the argument. It is critical thinking, empiricism, and the scientific method which are important... Extremely well said, thank you.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by HolgerTheDane
 


I was Head librarian at school.
Still got my badge.




posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by HolgerTheDane

Originally posted by Aqualung2012
***snip***
Please, for the sake of our reputation, share with myself and others viewing this thread your qualifications for being a presenter of truth
***snip***


It is a mistake of biblical proportions to believe that scholarly qualifications specifically entitles you to be a "presenter of truth".


Correct, it is a huge mistake to make that distinction. Luckily, where you have quoted me, I did not make such a distinction. I may not have needed the phrase "presenter of truth," I admit. After all, the truth tends to present itself.

To be qualified... what is quality? Haha, lets ask Phaedrus...



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
reply to post by HolgerTheDane
 


I was Head librarian at school.
Still got my badge.



I am so happy that there are at least one other person here on ATS that knows the value of being critical to sources.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


[color=dodgerblue]I am working on it (:

I am almost done with all of my prerequisites for my degree in nursing.

Just finished chemistry with an A..

Does that count?!



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I majored in B.S. at the school of hard knocks



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


[color=dodgerblue]I am working on it (:

I am almost done with all of my prerequisites for my degree in nursing.

Just finished chemistry with an A..

Does that count?!


Hehe, congratulations on your A!

I'm not looking for what "counts" or not, just basically surveying the community to see where people stand. So far I'm extremely impressed.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Well, I'm going to sleep now. Tattoos lined up for tomorrow.

I want to thank you all once again, and I hope people continue to share.

Goodnight... morning... whatever, it's all relative.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


[color=dodgerblue]I don't believe that a piece of paper necessarily equates intelligence. I have met many graduates with little to no common sense. Does it lend a bit of credibility? I would say yes.

And thanks (: I am proud of that A.
edit on 23-12-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


if you believe a skill is gained by going to college then you are mistaken. college is just a tool used by the government and independent agencies to make money. sure you can be taught a skill, but to master it, it must be a part of you. there are more ignorant and idiotic people in college than you think. plus anything can be learned using the internet. p.s. yes i went to college.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


Wow. You're marrying a woman who believes that in order to use reason and logic, while employing a willingness to admit one's own error in an effort to learn and integrate new information, is something that is taught in college?

Not sure which college she attended, but I graduated from Syracuse with more than one idiot in the class. Today, matriculation is more an indicator of economic resources than well-demonstrated intellect. And I certainly hope she believes that she's about to marry an intelligent man.



new topics

top topics


active topics

 
14
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join