It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Do Most Members of ATS Have Any College Education?

page: 1
14
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I'm posting this thread in an attempt to convince my fiance that there are many highly qualified people here in our beloved forum. Of course, many of us (including myself) do not have a college education, nor a degree in anything for that matter. I do not feel it necessary to have such certification, but she does, and I feel she represents a larger number of people who would judge credibility on well... credentials.

The question I would like to pose is: Who does posses any certification, any degrees, and/or any education relevant to any of the items in the gamut of topics here on ATS?

Please, for the sake of our reputation, share with myself and others viewing this thread your qualifications for being a presenter of truth, as we may all take another step towards empiricism.

(Note: Anyone and everyone is welcome to reply to this thread. I am simply asking for any specific degree/training as well as experience in any given field. Also, feel absolutely free to link any threads you have posted yourself.)

Thank you very much and I look forward to proving my point.




posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


I am in college now, if that counts.
From what I've seen many people on this site have a sense of what they are talking about, others not so much.

Usually when someone brings his or her god into the picture you know to run.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
My education is not in the field of conspiracy. There are very few conspiracy theories surrounding the properties and movement of electrons...

The ATS membership is diverse, but I wouldn't claim any educational achievements by the membership as a whole. Many are still in high school. and most are just sharing opinions. You don't need a formal education to state your opinion.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I have a distinction in typing..
It helps in my line of work on ATS.


+16 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Yes I wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars on a 'college education', at TTU.

I will let you in on a secret though, my greatest epiphany while I was there.

I would have been better off had I put all of that money in the stock market (this would have given me at least a chance of increasing my wealth rather than flushing it all down the drain).

I discovered that the library is the only place that focuses on pure academia, and that you can learn far more from a day at the library than from a week going to lectures in college courses.

Also, this is the kicker, the library is FREE.

True wealth is knowledge, and the library gives it away for free! Can you imagine that?
It's one of the best kept secrets in our civilization.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


I have a B.S.E.E. and I work as an engineer in the public sector. I will decline to mention the agency I work for and what exactly I do for obvious reasons.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash
 


I would tend to agree with you on that, except that I needed this piece of paper to get the job I have now. But you are right, I've learned more in the library than I ever did in all those lectures. And I still owe a freaking fortune in school loans!!!



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
My education is not in the field of conspiracy. There are very few conspiracy theories surrounding the properties and movement of electrons...

The ATS membership is diverse, but I wouldn't claim any educational achievements by the membership as a whole. Many are still in high school. and most are just sharing opinions. You don't need a formal education to state your opinion.


I couldn't agree more. So i take it you're in quantum mechanics... excellent. Obviously not a mindless troll. Thank you.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Also, if apocalypse ever happens, the library is one of the best places to go if you don't have any other options.

One major reason is because all of the lunatics will be out looting the businesses, while you are safe by yourself at the library. They have an aversion to books, after all.

Plus there is such a great store of information and know how there within those walls, that you could rebuild civilization using the data available. How to make plumbing that works, build a house, how to grow food, devise working electrical systems, everything you can think of.

Therefore the library is the sanctuary.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


Sorry, not quantum mechanics (I have studied on my own, though...). Just electronics.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Yes I wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars on a 'college education', at TTU.

I will let you in on a secret though, my greatest epiphany while I was there.

I would have been better off had I put all of that money in the stock market (this would have given me at least a chance of increasing my wealth rather than flushing it all down the drain).

I discovered that the library is the only place that focuses on pure academia, and that you can learn far more from a day at the library than from a week going to lectures in college courses.

Also, this is the kicker, the library is FREE.

True wealth is knowledge, and the library gives it away for free! Can you imagine that?
It's one of the best kept secrets in our civilization.



Very well said! That is precisely why I have not invested in that college indoctrination myself. I agree completely, the library is where its at.

I have always held the notion that with enough discipline one can gain a complete education in ANY field free of charge... emphasis on discipline.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Yes I wasted hundreds of thousands of dollars on a 'college education', at TTU.

I will let you in on a secret though, my greatest epiphany while I was there.

I would have been better off had I put all of that money in the stock market (this would have given me at least a chance of increasing my wealth rather than flushing it all down the drain).

I discovered that the library is the only place that focuses on pure academia, and that you can learn far more from a day at the library than from a week going to lectures in college courses.

Also, this is the kicker, the library is FREE.

True wealth is knowledge, and the library gives it away for free! Can you imagine that?
It's one of the best kept secrets in our civilization.




This is very true. I always wonder why people don't use them more. Though some in my area are not so good, but mostly due to lack of funding because nobody uses them.

Back on topic I reckon ATS will have an average percentage of peoples with higher education compared to that of the western world. Since anyone can join, then anyone will and that always averages things out.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wtbengineer
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


I have a B.S.E.E. and I work as an engineer in the public sector. I will decline to mention the agency I work for and what exactly I do for obvious reasons.


Thank you for that contribution, and of course your choice of relative anonymity is respected. It only helps add to my conviction that I am in very good company here on ATS.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Also, if apocalypse ever happens, the library is one of the best places to go if you don't have any other options.

One major reason is because all of the lunatics will be out looting the businesses, while you are safe by yourself at the library. They have an aversion to books, after all.

Plus there is such a great store of information and know how there within those walls, that you could rebuild civilization using the data available. How to make plumbing that works, build a house, how to grow food, devise working electrical systems, everything you can think of.

Therefore the library is the sanctuary.


Sir, with this point I realize that- at least in this capacity- we are like minded. I have always felt that way. libraries are absolutely ideal in an end-times situation. All of that information is just sitting there waiting for someone who needs it.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Theoretically speaking though, *don's tinfoil hat*, should the world go to sudden hell in a handcart who will protect the havens of knowledge from the mobs that may be left wishing to mold whats left of the world to their own agendas, or burning books simply because they are too stupid to cut down a tree?

But anyway, I agree that anyone with a thirst for knowledge will get more from seeking it themselves and in their own time, than having it parroted at you in formal education. Unless of course, they seek an actual skill that requires them to have the necessary qualifications to seek gainful employment.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Unless of course, they seek an actual skill that requires them to have the necessary qualifications to seek gainful employment.


Hehe, like tattooing in my case... or guitar in a less lucrative sense.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


i have a Bachelors in Criminal Justice and i am a police academy graduate along with being a journeyman in several "blue collar" professions.

you will find there is a good mix of folks at ATS many with much more education than myself. there are many experts in many fields within these hallowed pages.

there are also nuts and fruit bags. have to take the bad with the good, it is a free country after all.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I do not have a highschool diploma.
But i do have a college graduate diploma


I am an IT tech. Lots of learning about windows server 2008, novell netware, physical network setups, computer repair and troubleshooting of course.

I think this was just a formality to me, i needed the piece of paper to get a job with the skills i've had since i was 13 years old. Its sad that you need a piece of paper to prove you know something, wish they did things based on skill rather than academics. Someone could have 4 years in university to be an electrical engineer, but he could know # all. While the person who studied on their own (because they -wanted to-) would be denied the job without that piece of paper.

Thats just the world. Yes i am educated. I learned more outside of highschool and college than i ever did in those institutions. I currently work for an atlantic wide telecommunications company as a broadband tier 2 technician.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


i have a Bachelors in Criminal Justice and i am a police academy graduate along with being a journeyman in several "blue collar" professions.

you will find there is a good mix of folks at ATS many with much more education than myself. there are many experts in many fields within these hallowed pages.

there are also nuts and fruit bags. have to take the bad with the good, it is a free country after all.


I thank you for sharing. Of course there are nut jobs here, and I'll undoubtedly be hearing from them as the morning carries on. Its people like yourself who I am interested in hearing from. Your education and training dwarfs my own, but the beauty is in the way we can learn from each other here on ATS.

So again, thank you.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012
 


I've been trained in graphic design and photo manipulation software as well as 3D animation software, for which I received a certificate for multimedia applications.

I also completed a 2 year college course in IT, networking, and specifically network security.

I'm A+ Certified, Network+ certified, and have a few basic Microsoft certifications, but I have as of yet, not attempted any Cisco certifications.

I feel this prior education gives me insight into analyzing video and images posted here in various sections (paranormal, UFOs, etc) and I believe my background and current career in the IT field gives me insight into security matters, hacking such as anonymous, and government tracking, all of which are popular topics here.

Though of course I don't limit myself to only those areas where I have training, I'm interested in it all.

I'm not going to post the schools I attended nor my certification IDs as I do prefer a little anonymity
edit on 23-12-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)





I think this was just a formality to me, i needed the piece of paper to get a job with the skills i've had since i was 13 years old.


Ditto, I've been tinkering and playing with this stuff since before the internet when you had to dial into a BBS. I taught myself Qbasic programming in junior high when I found someones high school textbook on the bus. Everything else just seemed like a logical extension of that.

I'm a creative person, so I set out to work with computers graphically, but found not only was that field over-saturated, but it was also a crushing field for anyone who liked art for arts sake. That's when I got more interested in the hardware that makes the computer actually work.

I really owe it to a junior high school teacher who noticed how quickly I learned things computer wise. He was my computer aided drafting teacher and ended up having me learn the 3D aspects of autocad to teach him, so he could teach the class. As a side project a few other students and I were handed several boxes of unorganized computer parts and told to make it work.

From that point on I've been working with computers as a hobby and a career.
edit on 23-12-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)




top topics



 
14
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join