It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Lovejoy is starting to put on a spectacular show

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
That is soo awesome. Anyone know what time it could be visible in the carribean and where exactly I should look? I tried googling but haven't found anything yet.

I really would love to see this if it's visible

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RisenAngel77
That is soo awesome. Anyone know what time it could be visible in the carribean and where exactly I should look? I tried googling but haven't found anything yet.

Look to the east before dawn.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RisenAngel77

You'll catch it before dawn...

This site should be handy:

nightskyonline.info...

Last report is that the tail has faded somewhat.

I caught a glimpse of it this morning, it was quite faint against the light pollution that I was surrounded in.

edit on 23/12/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by RisenAngel77

Look to the east before dawn.

thanks phage
will do.

Im near the dominican republic area, hopefully something least a bit of the tail will be seen

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Has there been any further explanation of why this comet has survived it's close encounter with the sun? I believe there were so many know it alls believing there was no chance it would survive. Any explanations of what this thing is made of? Where is it heading to next? Will it make a visit back into our system? These are the interesting questions!!!

Lightmeup04

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
So ats does not post on recent posts unless you have thousands of flags or what? Nice to see some real questions not being scientifically answered because a post is not posted on recent posts when it was a last post on a thread...kind of fishy!!!

Lightmeup04

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Now this is getting funny. I went to recent posts on this website and it now says chadwikus made the most recent post 2 minutes ago. When 15 minutes before it was chadwikus 10 minutes ago. What is going on here? I am beginning to think some members have a stake. Prove me wrong please!!

Lightmeup04

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm gonna be up early in the morning! I'm in WA right now!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lightmeup04

Did he make a correction to his post? and will that change the time? No sure?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I will be setting my clock for Christmas morning to see comet Lovejoy! God is Amazing!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I truly live in the wrong part of the world.

I see nothing in FL

I would love to see this, meteor showers and the Milky Way...OMG I'd love to see the Milky Way in all her glory

Im trying to convince my fiancee to get married somewhere under the Milky Way lol

Thanks for the pics Chad! I am going to save some for my desktop

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Good grief !!

Australia is a day before the US.

Its Santa !

You will see it the day after.

Duh !

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Wow...no scientist has been able to explain why the survival of a weak comet? Just guesses is all anyone really has. I definitely wish I could examine this thing from the north. It looks huge...just curious again if any of the so called realists on here can explain the 98% chance they said it wouldn't survive. I believe I heard someone.say that we might have to re write our thinking of comets and their travels through space.

Lightmeup04

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Comet's have survived close encounters with the sun before, just not that often.

THIS site has been following the progress of the comet since it was first discovered and offers plenty of information.

There were at least 6 spacecraft observing the comet and the information and data gathered is still being analyzed, a little patience is required methinks...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I see nothing in FL

Except rocket and shuttle launches!

I would have loved to have had the opportunity to see a shuttle launch with my own eyes.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply and info chadwikus. Wasn't this comet only 500 meters at most? What comet had come as close as lovejoy and survived at that size? Sorry to ask but thought you might know off hand. You know more than I do about these rocks.

Lightmeup04

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thats not a comet....

It's Santa!!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Mate, where I live in WA it is awesome, every clear night is a absolute treat! Just go bush and look up! POW! Book your tickets to Australia buddy!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

The only one to come to mind is The Great Comet of 1843

It came from the same (Kreutz) comet group as well...

en.wikipedia.org...

And another:

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 23/12/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
what an awesome Christmas gift. looks like ill be up early setting up the time lapse photography tomorrow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join