It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysteries Under Moscow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I was researching underground civilizations when I came across this...

What is hidden under Moscow?

This question has intrigued Vadim Mikhailov since he was a child in the early 1970s, when his father, who drove a train in the Moscow subway, first gave him a ride in the driver's cabin and showed him the network of Metro tunnels beneath the Russian capital. By the time he was 12, Mikhailov and his friends had begun making increasingly ambitious journeys beneath the city.

Discoveries began with the first expeditions. Through manholes and building basements the boys wriggled into labyrinths under the Russian capital. First, they explored the bomb shelters under Leningradsky Prospekt, then they came across an Academy of Oceanology warehouse. "Imagine walking along endless corridors," recalls Mikhailov, "something dripping from the ceiling, the uneven light of torches. And all of sudden you find yourself in a room full of tanks of formalin, containing various sea monsters."

They soon went deeper underground. According to Mikhailov there are about six levels under Moscow, and in some places as many as 12, including old sewer systems, fountain foundations, and sloping drainage tunnels entangled in the depths.

I thought this was amazing. It sounds like generations of people could have been raised under there, without ever coming to the surface.
Does anybody know about any settlements of this magnitude under any US cities?

[edit on 9/16/04 by NotTooHappy]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Interesting article, no, I haven't heard of anything like this in the U.S. I'm sure there are colonies of people living in the sewers of larger cities such as New York, etc, but I've never heard of anything quite this expansive.

Thanks for posting this!

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Its strange how many old and ancient underground establishments are being reported lately isn't it?

We need to go deeper, we need to go further, we not only need to explore space, but also the true undiscovered reaches of our own planet.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Interesting article.

Reminded of the stuff I've heard about London.

There's a book: London Under London: A Subterranean Guide

From one of the reviews on Amazon: "take[s] you on the complete guided tour of London's hidden ways, from the sewers to the rivers to the Underground."

This is an interesting site about the Government Citadel Under London

I very briefly saw a TV show that spoke about it a few years back.

And this one is about Abandoned Subway Underground Stations

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
very interesting indeed.

i recently read a new report on the underground in Paris, France where a group of "French cinephiles" ran a fully equipped cinema down there!

BBC News | World | Europe | French cinephiles going underground

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Actually in New York because the subway system it is some underground old tunnels, Now in cities in Europe you are going to find more of these ancients systems due to the fact that those cities are built on ancient ruins through generations.

This is a link to forgotten subways and trains.

www.forgotten-ny.com...

top topics

join