It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How cultish are "Promise Keepers?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I had experiences with these guys in the past and got a strange feeling about them.

Now, this is either really bizarre or perhaps politically motivated:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Anyone else have encounters with these fine fellows?

[edit on 8-9-2004 by Aeon10101110]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
BTW, this is who they say they are...

Promise Keepers

Supposedly, they are simply spiritual fundamentalists but I think there are hidden agendas.

I've actually been to a conference and when I look back all I see is brainwashing.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I don't know about them being cultish in nature. I liken them to an AA group, they were seemingly steeped in previously bad behaviour or thought processes and get really fanatical around each other strengthen their desire to be good.

I question anyone's strength when they need a group or organization to be a better person though. I don't mean that about AA or NA, those are people with real problems to solve in their lives, but a group like this makes me a bit skeptical.

No one should need a religion or Bible to tell them they should be pillars of the community or good to their family. It doesn't hurt of course, but it shouldn't be the reason you decide to change. Personal strength comes from within, any tool used is simply a crutch. I assume someone within this organization has a pretty big house by now...

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeon10101110
Supposedly, they are simply spiritual fundamentalists but I think there are hidden agendas.
I've actually been to a conference and when I look back all I see is brainwashing.

They are more funny than cultish. When I lived in Fresno, and they had a PK convention there, like 50,000 showed up. One of the less conservative news stations did a poll of the working ladies and reported that business was booming. Maybe thats what they are all confessing about

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

They are more funny than cultish. When I lived in Fresno, and they had a PK convention there, like 50,000 showed up. One of the less conservative news stations did a poll of the working ladies and reported that business was booming. Maybe thats what they are all confessing about

Interesting info
I especially agree with Weller, that:

I assume someone within this organization has a pretty big house by now...

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I assume someone within this organization has a pretty big house by now...

Yep .....probably one of the leaders

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   
It does seem very common for people to be sucked into any number of panacea type solutions for life's problems.

Pyramid schemes often work this way. They sound good when they are rationalized and 'explained' to people, but functionally they work differently than advertised. Like many TV ads they are presented like they will solve every problem you have. (health, money, emotional, career)

Religion operates similarly except with religion there is no way of knowing if it is true or not, because the dead won't for some reason talk about it. So there is no way to prove or disprove it.

Religion is sort of like String theory. It is a great explanation, but since there is no way to confirm or deny it, what can you say about it?

*shrug*

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
...because the dead won't for some reason talk about it. So there is no way to prove or disprove it.

Darn them!!

Your right about everything else you said to...

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
my dad attended a promise keeper's gathering a while ago...he came home really freaked out, wouldn't talk about it, and has never been back.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychosgirl
...he came home really freaked out, wouldn't talk about it, and has never been back.

It is pretty freaky ands seems like mass-hypnosis, or maybe mass-delusion.

I think there is definitely a conservative political agenda involved though.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I don't think is a cult per say, but I have done some reading on their site and they are pro family unity and they are not very good viewed by women right movements, because the promise keepers wants to bring women to back to the kitchen and men back to take control of the home.

[edit on 10-9-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Also a very good source related to me that there were wife-beaters who went to a conference and just when they got back... guess what?

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeon10101110
Also a very good source related to me that there were wife-beaters who went to a conference and just when they got back... guess what?

Yes they also go around the nation trying to reclute men for their cause, and yes they use the bible on the part of "women submit to your husbands" as a motto.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I tell ya, you gotta watch out for these Promise Keepers. I mean, they dedicate their lives to God, try to be the best husband they can be to their wives, be the best father they can be to their children, try to love their neigbors as themselves....whew! They are a shady bunch of people

Look, there is no hidden agenda there. I have known several people, even close friends, even my own father, who have attended the PK rally's and meetings. They are the salt of the earth kind of people. There is no plan for world domination, just a plan to bring a quality of life to their home thru a personal relationship with God. That's it. You can agree or disagree with the existence of God and that is fine, but the people behind the movement are good people.

top topics

join