It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large earthquake hits Christchurch

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenfruit
Reference Number: 3631359
NZDT: Fri, Dec 23 2011 1:58 pm
Magnitude: 5.8
Depth: 8 km
Details: 20 km north-east of Lyttelton

Just shaking now as I type... not good people.

Wow! That's freaky! I've never experienced an earthquake and hope I never do! Stay safe!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

Reports of sulphur smell?? That doesn't sound good......Wishing all the best to NZ...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by elrey72011

It was a 5.9 and shallow depth

CHCH can expect more to come around 5th January of 4.0 - 6.0

Honestly, those in the Red Zone or the Eastern Subs of CHCH should be realistic and pull out when they can. This BS of those Kiwis telling everyone in CHCH they should do the hard slog is just nonsense. There is NO money in the kitty to start rebuilding anytime soon.

www.nzherald.co.nz...

And this is how the NZ Govt lies:

www.3news.co.nz...

edit on 22-12-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Hope everyone there is safe. You don't need anymore of this....

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Here is a good link to live volcano cams and all kinds of stuff

Hope all you kiwi's are safe and secure.

www.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

Geez . I wonder if they are going to have a Christmas major earthquake . I dont know how they live with the stress there of every tremor , knowing that a big one could hit at any time .

Im going for Xmas or New years event .

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

Apparently they just got hit with another earthquake. From what I am looking at this is the 6th earthquake today some are 5.3 and some are 5.8. They are reporting that the last one a few minutes ago was another 5.8. This looks like this is an ongoing thing. I hope the people there are safe.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Ok, we had another one about 90 minutes after the first. It was large too. Liquidfication this time. Looks like we will be busy again. Thank goodness no one would be in the red zone in the city. Can anyone on here that has a good knowledge on these things tell me its normal to still get big aftershocks after the first one in Sep 2010

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Ok, we had another one about 90 minutes after the first. It was large too. Liquidfication this time. Looks like we will be busy again. Thank goodness no one would be in the red zone in the city. Can anyone on here that has a good knowledge on these things tell me its normal to still get big aftershocks after the first one in Sep 2010

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
yip just come in . second one was bigger. www.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Brisbane times are doing live updates here brisbanetimes.com.au

love and harmony
whateva

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The quake was 5.8 followed by a 6.0 just after 3 and both were shallow which is the difference.

My heart goes out at all my mates down in Christchurch - they could do with a break!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Thanks Whateva...is that steam rising out of the ocean on the update cam?

Praying things settle down for our Friends at Ch Ch.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by aarys

Yes, it is normal, aftershocks can last for decades to be honest. We call earthquakes aftershocks when large earthquakes (usually 5.0 and above) occur after a huge earthquake like the 7.1 that occurred on September 4th, 2010. The 5.8m earthquake that occurred today was most definitely an aftershock and there are plenty more to come. I've noticed that the aftershocks have certainly died off since the September 4th earthquake though, so you guys should be a little happy hehe. If you have anymore questions just ask I got some decent knowledge, I don't mean to brag, but yea I got some knowledge.

I hope everyone in New Zealand stays safe, my mom was born in Christ Church so I have tons of family there, they basically keep me up to date on Facebook

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
What is causing the steam or smoke in the pics?
Stay safe everyone!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
What is causing the steam or smoke in the pics?
Stay safe everyone!

I was wondering the same thing CD. I found this article that explains it. A lot of underwater volcanoes near New Zealand

Exploring underwater volcanoes near New Zealand

9 Apr 11 - Scientists aboard the research vessel Tangaroa will use a free-diving robotic vehicle to explore five major submarine volcanoes in the Kermadec Arc for mineral deposits and hydrothermal activity.

The Kermadec Arc, a chain of 94 submarine volcanoes north of New Zealand in the South Pacific Ocean, contains many active volcanoes.
iceagenow.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

if you scroll down on the brisbane times link you provided, it has a pic of the smoke and in the caption underneath it explains that it is just dust from all the rock that fell down the cliff. so no smoke, just dust.

stay safe you christchurch lot, if i were you i would be organising moving away and starting a fresh in a less siemicly active place!
edit on 22-12-2011 by woodnut86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
So far we've had a 5.8, 5.3 and a 6.0 - USGS isn't as accurate as our local network.

It's been a bit of a kick in the guts as well as bringing back bad memories.. great timing.. NOT..

Oh well, best hit the drinks cabinet early..

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
sorry. i feel like a douche.

that many in a row can't be good. hope everyone is ok.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Info, photos and chat from us lot in Christchurch on my Quake watch page on Facebook

www.facebook.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join