It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large earthquake hits Christchurch

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hot off the press.

Poor New Zealand.

A large earthquake has just hit Christchurch. The quake hit at 1.58pm and was followed by a second sharp jolt. A visitor to the city said Westfield Mall was being evacuated. Terrified shoppers stumbled and fell as they fled the mall and items tumbled off shelves. Advertisement: Story continues below Phone lines are down. The quake was also felt in Dunedin. Last year Christchurch was rocked by a series of earthquakes on Boxing Day, with more than two dozen recorded. A 4.9-magnitude quake at 10.30am was the seventeenth most powerful since the damaging 7.1 quake on September 4. The earthquake that caused the most damage hit on February 22, killing 182 people. More to come Read more: www.smh.com.au...

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
4.9 is not large. that is tiny compared to the actual big ones.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well, at least it wasn't too bad. I hope no one was seriously injured.

4.9 isn't too disastrous, but still can be nerve wracking with the larger one still fresh in memory.

link   
Not again! I do hope everyone is
alright. Waiting for updates as
they come in.

Anyone have the depth on this
quake or did I over look it? That
would make a difference in
damage, if any.

edit on 22-12-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

link   
5.8 plus 3 others straight after. Was 20kms of our coast (east) no Tsunami warning yet...
Just when we hadn't had any for a few months of a large size.

Kids a pretty freaked out... has taking us months to get them reasonable settled again and trust of buildings.
edit on 22/12/2011 by greenfruit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by elrey72011
4.9 is not large. that is tiny compared to the actual big ones.

A 4.9-magnitude quake at 10.30am was the seventeenth

Dont know how big the one that just hit was.

Still looking around

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Reference Number: 3631359
NZDT: Fri, Dec 23 2011 1:58 pm
Magnitude: 5.8
Depth: 8 km
Details: 20 km north-east of Lyttelton

Just shaking now as I type... not good people.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
5.8 according to BBC

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenfruit
Reference Number: 3631359
NZDT: Fri, Dec 23 2011 1:58 pm
Magnitude: 5.8
Depth: 8 km
Details: 20 km north-east of Lyttelton

Just shaking now as I type... not good people.

Take care greenfruit, please.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Reports about the shopping malls are empty, people trying to get cars out of multi story car-parks.

At the rate we are going will never getting insurance here.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Really hate it when I can't get a hold of my wife. She was somewhere over by Ricarton. This has sort of become the default CBD now. Cellphones, landlines etc are all blocked.

link   
hisz.rsoe.hu...

23.12.2011 02:20:24 5.8 Pacific Ocean New Zealand Woodville County New Brighton VulkĂĄn 0 There are airport(s) nearby the epicenter. VulkĂĄn 0 GEONET

edit on 22-12-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

link   
For those that were listening to the All Things Survival Show, we reported just as we came to air since we heard it live through xpert11's microphone. So our little show, scooped all of the MSM

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Reports of power lose in parts of the City
So far only one injury reported in a mall (Police)

Reports of Sulphur smell across the city??????

Can smell here in Northwood (North Christchurch)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by elrey72011

4 point 9 not bad ? it depends on a lot of factors ;ie i was working in a coal mine in england in 1979 a 4 point i hit now 1 mile under ground that did a lot of damage and scary for our crew !!against nature we are nothing

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
We hope everyone is ok, New Zealand holds a special place in our hearts. Many great memories, of beautiful people and an incredible place. We have photos of good times in NZ all over our house, you're never far from our thoughts. Big love to you all, I hope this is over soon X

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenfruit
Reports of power lose in parts of the City
So far only one injury reported in a mall (Police)

Reports of Sulphur smell across the city??????

Can smell here in Northwood (North Christchurch)

Sulphur smell is associated with volcanic activity. Do you have any around there? Stay Safe...

Volcano eruptions are important sources of gases, such as sulphur dioxide (SO2), and volcanic ash (aerosols) in the atmosphere. These emissions may have an impact on air traffic: near-real time information on the emissions of volcanic ash and sulphur dioxide will enable better planning of air line routes. If the SO2 concentrations in a given region exceed a limit, a warning is issued of a possible volcano eruption. www.temis.nl...

edit on 22-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Found this....wow...hope all is normal and well there.

New boiling hot springs near Christchurch? New volcano activity?

– March 10, 2011Posted in: Earth changes, Seismic activities, Volcanoes

IceAgeNow posted a letter from concerned reader writting about new hot spring formed in the area of Cass Bay near Christchurch. There were various reports recently about new hot springs boiling in the peninsula. People also reporting the stench of sulphur emanating from the harbour area. Navy and army are apparently combing the area with geological survey tools. Residents are scarred that Ruaumoko volcano is coming to life. 36 million liters of water mysteriously disappeared from a reservoir in Huntsbury New Zealand following the February 22nd 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch. In past 7 days there were 88 earthquakes reported in Christchurch.
thewatchers.adorraeli.com...

Also this...same article.

Subduction zone cross section (graphics by Paul Fazey)

Subduction zones always have associated volcanoes inland from the point of contact and on the east coast of the South Island are several, each one occupied by a major town or city: Christchurch, Timaru, Oamaru and Dunedin. Subduction zone volcanoes are never extinct, only dormant. New Zealand in general and the South Island especially sits astride a subduction zone where the sea floor on the west side is pushing under the sea floor on the east side causing uplift.

Volcanoes of very fine silt have sprung up around the Christchurch area since the initial quake, some as high as 2 metres have been likened to termite hills. These cones seem be linked to the smell of sulphur in some places.

Banks Peninsula forms the most prominent volcanic feature of the South Island. Geologically, the peninsula comprises the eroded remnants of two large shield volcanoes (Lyttelton fand Akaroa). The peninsula formed as offshore islands, with the volcanoes reaching to about 1,500 m above sea level. Two dominant craters formed Lyttelton and Akaroa Harbours.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Well it rocked very violenty here in Ch Ch. Not much fun. It felt bigger than a 5.8. More like the 6.1 we had in Feb. Ok we might now move out of this hole. 16 months of this is just a bit too much.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join