The Santa Myth: Should we perpetuate the lie to children?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I have to thoroughly say one thing.

I'm so sorry to be living now a days.

People are so openly bashing EVERYTHING; bashing religion, bashing Christmas, bashing Santa; and seems the majority is all for war war war and me me me.

What is wrong with everyone? Why is it so much of a horrendous thing to let children believe in someone that, even though he doesn't exist in the physical sense, still existed in the flesh and made a LOT of people happy and still does to this day? He basically exists in the heart and soul of those who chose to believe in him. What is the issue? If it puts a happy smile on a childs face and then the parents faces and which ever else adult's faces may be around, what is the harm? Let a child remain a child as long as they can. The world is so sad and sick and filthy and disgusting. I almost envy those who are still asleep and don't know anything but innocence.

Times like today, hearing how people just want to live in negativity, not have ANY fun what so ever if it dares to include the imagination, really makes me wish I were a simpleton. Truly. I'm not joking. Simpleton's sit around and smile about anything and don't know the meaning of negativity cuz they're in their own world and are beyond happy in it. Know why? Nothing goes wrong. No one hurts them. No one tells them they can't believe in something just for the pure fun and enjoyment of having hope, wishes that come true, fostering a good imagination.

I suppose most on here welcome the idea of letting kids by the age of 5 swear, watch rated R moves, drink alcohol and hear in minute detail how horrid your income is, how you're losing everything, etc. After all, a childhood is apparently just something to corrupt early so they 'know how the real world and facts are'.

that just makes me ill.
I seriously don't want to live on this planet any longer.
I blame the majority of the people who were born in the 70s' and 80's. Maybe even the 60's.
Cuz my parents were born in 37 and 47 respectfully and we kept innocence in the house until we moved out on our own. We had Santa, tooth fairy, easter bunny, etc. We were not allowed rated R movies until we moved out of the house. Bedtime was at 9.30 until we moved out of the house. Dating had to be to the place and back immediately and no being alone what so ever in the house. I could go on. And because of how me and my brothers were raised, we all have the warmest family life. Not ONE person in my current family and past family has ever drank, smoked, done drugs, had a divorce, cheated, etc. Holidays are warm, loving, full of hugs and laughter and good times. And every single child in that family, even the newest one born 2 years ago all believe in Santa, toothfairy, easter bunny and so on - and that just ......

Ugh. I just can't wrap my MIND around how people ARE now a days. I'm terrified of this new generation which is being raised so 'factual' and 'sterile' now a days. No one's going to have any imagination any more, nothing. This terrifies me. Our future is so screwed.
edit on 23-12-2011 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I would like to add this The truth about Santa..a mothers blog post

If you are worried about consumerism you could use this..I am thinking about doing this next year..It is the four gift rule. Four Gift Rule:

Merry Christmas All!
edit on 23-12-2011 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Hey, if jesus can get away with it so can santa!

Sry, couldn't help myself. Its deffinatly a hard question to answer. In the end its deffinately a big let down for the child, but at the same time it keeps the childs imagination stronger. It really depends on the preference of the parents. I do think it hurts more to continue the lie after a child has inquired about its validity.

But on a lighter note I did have a rabbit that crapped a chocolate egg once...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Let us consider this: the myth of santa as we know it today is almost entirely a product of christianity. Which is the most profit driven, ignorance driven, and manipulative organization to grace the earth in millenia.

Christianity has 0 credibility to me, they've destroyed so many cultures more benevolent than christianity than I care to catalog here.

Refer to my above post for #1 example of their brainwashing techniques.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SerialVelocity
I find it sad that people are beginning to take such a negative view on Christmas and Santa. I'm sure that even if Santa wasn't around, kids are still exposed to TV and the Internet etc. and would still ask for just as many presents. Without Santa however, it's a lot harder to cover up the reason your child hasn't got the 84 gifts they asked for that year!

Christmas is a grand holiday for my family, I brought my children up to understand the Santa is the spirit of christmas, the giving and such, BUT, I also let them know the american real true meaning of christmas, I never lied to them I bought the presents their father and I worked very hard to give them those gifts. Not Santa. However as I said, Santa was accepted in our family but only as the man who brings happieness and the spirit of giving to people. not believing in santa as the gift giver is not a bad thing. Why would a parent want santa to get credit for the new thing that child so deeply wanted all year and waited for why? Why would i let them look at some random man with joy of knowing what this false gift giver was going to give them when it was us the parents who brought them the gift? think about it people. your giving your gift away to someone else to give to your child. not I peace
edit on 23-12-2011 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Its called waking up to ignorance.

Simply being aware of the truth and accepting it, and rejecting superfluous and inaccurate information/disinformation.

Where is the line of defining what is acceptable knowledge/information. The line is called ignorance. Ignorance of information: in this case, the ignorance of the roots of the jesus myth.

You can blindly revel in ignorantly inspired traditions if you want, not me though.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Just say to your children, "there is no Santa, only Perchta."
Then show them this picture:

If they're not good, Perchta will visit them on Christmas night and disembowel them, stuff them with hay, then kill the child's family.
Ah...Christmas memories.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
All these people attacking a childs belief in Santa, Most likely the same people who go on about how much the world sucks.

You've grown up, supposably. Why do you feel the need to want to destroy a childs belief? It says volumes about where your mind is at. All you're doing is projecting some unhappiness you have on to children. GET HELP!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
My kids grew up knowing the truth. Imagine what a belief system creating experience it is to believe in Santa and have everyone go along with it only to discover that the whole world was lying to you all along. It's often the first time children feel betrayed by their parents...the day they find out there is no Santa.

It's the first conspiracy theory for most people. It's the same as conspiracy theory in so many ways.

To think that we must make up stories and lie for fun is unimaginative. I always spent the month before Christmas assisting my children in creating gifts for friends and family. They select craft projects and everyone gets one of what they made. It's like Santa's workshop at my house. No expensive gifts are allowed. I chose to turn the focus to creativity rather than consumerism. A few of my kids' friends often come over to make their gifts too. I've sold them on the idea of personal gifts and that it's more special to make a gift than to buy something. They buy birthday gifts for people....just NOT Christmas gifts...because it's special.

If my children needed something, I just got it for them, no holiday is needed. They watched their friends waiting and waiting to get what they need or want until that magic day. They're thankful for not having to wait like that. They were very good whether or not I told them stories of imaginary beings who see all their deeds.

It depends on you, your family and your choices. I listen to people complaining about Christmas constantly. I haven't thought a bad thought about it for the last 30 years...if ever. What's wrong with teaching children that they ARE the creative spirit and assisting them to connect with that at Christmas instead of having them sit around waiting for the Christmas spirit to come down the chimney and fulfill their wishes? I'd prefer my kids to be co-creators rather than victims in life. It's a subtle message....but very powerful and true.

Make a new choice. Don't go there. Use your imagination and be one with the creative spirit! You don't have to live by anyone's rules. You can do what you want. (unless you work with the public....if you do, be good to yourself...that's tough stuff!)

PS My kids were influenced by their upbringing....an architect, a graphic artist, a clothing designer with a store and a musician who plays for the local symphony orchestra. None of them are raising their kids to do the Santa deal either. None of us have a religion....yet we still have morals and value humanity. Stories aren't needed. I created this way of harmonizing with others who celebrate due to the national holiday and the fact that it's a part of society.....adaptation of my values to the neighborhood's values. Coexist.
edit on 23/12/11 by RainbeauBleu because: D Ho Ho Ho! Green Giant!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr
Why would a parent want santa to get credit for the new thing that child so deeply wanted all year and waited for why? Why would i let them look at some random man with joy of knowing what this false gift giver was going to give them when it was us the parents who brought them the gift?

Because I can see their happiness when they get something they want under the tree. It doesn't matter if they know it was me or if they think it was Santa. I don't require acknowledgement when I give someone a gift. I, as Santa, give them presents just because I want to, just because they are children and deserve some happiness and joy in this horrific world we live in. Not so that I, as myself, can be praised for my excellent toy picking abilities. Christmas morning isn't about me no matter how hard I work during the year to make Christmas morning possible. The look of delight on their faces is all the thanks I need.

Edit: Your questions weren't directed at me, but as a parent that is my answer.
edit on 12/23/2011 by Jenna because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The Santa myth is good preporation for believing in the Democracy myth in later life.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This is cognitive dissonance, two ideas causing conflict in ones mind, the opposite of doublethink .Jesus being born in manger with all kinds of animals and wise men giving gifts all in middle eastern garb then flip to a jolly fat guy in a red snow suit from a frozen winterland with flying reindeer giving gifts to everyone around the world but it all means Christmas. No wonder you guys are having trouble if it good to tell your kids about santa or not.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It teaches kids that there is a silver lining to be found in a big ol pile of malarkey. Opens up part of the psyche and installs mechanisms that allow the child to be lied to all thier lives by politicains for example.

Santa is an intruder into the home. What fool would go to bed at night and hope some guy breaks in without them hearing? And we gotta leave cookies out for the freak? Oh and you better have been good.....you better have been good.

What a mass control mechanism. Poor kids.

Easterbunny is the same mess. What kind of rabbit lays eggs anyway? WHy not just teach your kids to handle rattlesnakes?

These myths and the money spent on them every year are nothing less than the silversmiths of old that promoted idol worship to create a market for their prouduct.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows
All these people attacking a childs belief in Santa, Most likely the same people who go on about how much the world sucks.

You've grown up, supposably. Why do you feel the need to want to destroy a childs belief? It says volumes about where your mind is at. All you're doing is projecting some unhappiness you have on to children. GET HELP!

Its a belief we sell them! do you think this is not a candy coated lie you are telling your kids? Says volumes.

I tell my kids that santa is a fat shaman.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Well really you may as well call him "Sainta", right?

Since it's ostensibly "Saint Nick" or "Saint-erklaas"?

But what is Jesus' opinion of "the saints"? And, does Jesus love this saint more than that saint? Does Jesus love the Orthodox Saints, or the Scottish Saints like andrew? Because I know the Pope does not love or allow the Orthodox Saints, well usually anyway.

So really the truth is that "sainthood" is subjective. One mans saint is another man's "righteous nutcase" one assumes. But Jesus' life was far more saintly than any of the saints. Yet, how shall he be canonized when sainthood didn't exist in Jesus' time?

The UK flag has two saint's crosses on it. St. George is the crusader, his cross is the red one on the white background. St. Andrew is the celtic pagan saint, his cross is the X on the blue background. Slap these two saints on the same flag and its the union jack.

Would Santa be the same, if he wore blue and white? Think hard about this. Picture Santa but with blue outfit, instead of red. Therein lies the key to the spirit of Christmas future.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

No, by all means tell them the truth(or what YOU preceive as the truth) then show them this fine picture you have and let them cry there eye's out.........................and that will make it all better,Instead of allowing them to have some sort of peace during there childhood knowing that when they grow up they will see the horrors of humanity soon enough.

I truely hope you don't have kids,what a sad person.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
anyone who perpetuates and lies to children have blasphemed the holy spirit

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Santa's real.

Stop this silly talk now!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
While we are at it lets end the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny.

You know what? Kids live to much in make believe, lets also put an end to cartoons and all movies that are not documentaries.

Lets replace dolls/action figures with calculators...

and while we are at it playgrounds with job fares.

The realities of this world are often harsh and from my point of view we should be trying to make the world as we want it for our children.
edit on 23-12-2011 by Helmkat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
I have to thoroughly say one thing.

I'm so sorry to be living now a days.

People are so openly bashing EVERYTHING; bashing religion, bashing Christmas, bashing Santa; and seems the majority is all for war war war and me me me.

What is wrong with everyone? Why is it so much of a horrendous thing to let children believe in someone that, even though he doesn't exist in the physical sense, still existed in the flesh and made a LOT of people happy and still does to this day? He basically exists in the heart and soul of those who chose to believe in him. What is the issue? If it puts a happy smile on a childs face and then the parents faces and which ever else adult's faces may be around, what is the harm? : (no reason given)

Santa should be arrested for breaking and entering. He should be investigated for receiving stolen property. PETA should look into the Rain Dear thing.

He should also be arrested for air space violations and entering the country illegally. He dosent even have one of those reflecter triangles on the back of his.....space ship....or landing lights and dosent even bother to get cleared for landing.
edit on 23-12-2011 by Logarock because: se

exclusive video

new topics
top topics
active topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join