It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Santa Myth: Should we perpetuate the lie to children?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I did read your posts, but I also read about 150 others that's why I did not reply to you specifically.

I'm just trying to illustrate that the SANTA CON... is not a half truth... people make there kids "Believe" in santa.

Thats a FULL LIE... not Half.

I agree sometimes we use half truths, most of the time we call it being polite, or saving someone feelings or protecting a child from knowin what the red stuff all over the windsheild of the crashed car we passed on our last holiday... Sometimes telling them the "WHOLE" truth is hard. But it's still not a FULL BLOWN LIE, like the "Santa Decpetion"

Love your dress darl.. .."Reality.. .. what the hell vomited on that"
. . .. well you get what I mean

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Not another whinny Santa basher, for gods sake until recent ever child in America (just about) believed in Santa until he was old enough to realize its his parents...believing in Santa brought me countless years of happiness during Christmas time just as it does for my Muslim nephews and nieces. To see the smiles on their faces and how happy and fun it is to be apart of Christmas, which is a good thing rather thank complaining about everything.

You must be one of those glass half empty kind of people, awkward in social events without many friends to be attacking a thing as harmless as Santa Claus...there are more important things to be depressed about so get over it, do a wicka ritual or cast a useless crapy spell and be miserable on your own...dont spread your misery with life.

I wont read your worthless response so dont bother, wait you probably have nothing better to do so you know what rant away, I will go and enjoy the company of my half Muslim and Catholic family...

May Allah bless you with the ability to see and be happy...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Withholding information is a lie by omission. (There's that darn l-word again.
) When you withhold information you omit some facts, which is deceit, which is a lie.

half-truth
n.
A statement, especially one intended to deceive, that omits some of the facts necessary for a full description or account.

edit:
reply to post by nawki

I never told mine there was a Santa, I just didn't tell them there wasn't either. The oldest picked it up, thought it was awesome, and I didn't want to be a dream-crusher. So like I said, half-truth.

edit on 12/23/2011 by Jenna because: Added edit

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

It does seem like you are trying to say that although I do not lie to my children, I actually do by not telling them everything. Like this makes telling a bold face lie ok and not something I should be against.

I disagree, I do not tell my girls everything, not to deceive them because they will not understand and I do not lie. You don't attempt to teach a toddler quantum physics, there is groundwork which needs to come first, it is not even a half truth it is sharing what is relevant and what is not at that time, you don't.

Telling that Santa is real is a lie and I do not agree with it.
edit on 23-12-2011 by Threegirls because: to clarify

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I don't dislike santa at all, he's one of the best characters in South park...

Second only to Mr Hankey, the christmas poo.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Lies and half truths.

A lie is a conscious act--physically espousing something that one knows to be untrue.

A half-truth is omitting less desirable parts of the whole truth. If the half-truth is intended
to be disingenuous and misleading it no longer is a half-truth, and becomes a lie.

I think at the core of this debate is this question;

Is it okay for a Christian to lie to their children. I say NO.
But then again I don't believe in a magical being who rewards and punishes,
and as such have no stake in the question of whether lying is a sin.
To me, lying is simply a character flaw.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Threegirls

What I'm saying is that if they ask a question and you only tell them half of the truth because that's all you feel they are capable of handling based on their ages, you are in fact telling them a half-truth. Calling it something else is just playing semantics. What I'm also saying is that sometimes those half-truths are necessary and are much better than telling a child something they aren't capable of dealing with yet.

So you partially understood me. Never said that we should tell them complete lies though, so not sure where you're getting that from.
edit on 12/23/2011 by Jenna because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Surely this is getting into the realms of "NEW TOPIC"

SANTA : - There's No arguing this is a LIE.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There's an american musician/songwriter called Peter Alsop who believes in being brutally honest with kids about adult subjects, death, etc.

en.wikipedia.org...

He takes it a bit far in my opinion, but just thought it would make an interesting addition to this thread.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
When you withhold information you omit some facts, which is deceit, which is a lie.

So, if my 3-year old asks me where babies come from and I answer, "They grow inside a mommy's body and then when they're ready, they come out." I have just lied to my child? Please just answer that one question.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The main question is, what do you say when children ask why Santa is immortal?

[^^^ btw those are FAKE boobs, therefore censorbots stand down!]
edit on 23-12-2011 by smallpeeps because: hmmm yeah

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Democracy: Should we perpetuate the lie to children?

Necessity of government: Should we perpetuate the lie to children?

Religion: Should we perpetuate the lie to children?

Science: Should we perpetuate the lie to children?

Fox News: Should we perpetuate the lie to children?

Santa Clause, real or not, is just one mechanism utilized for social engineering.

Sometimes I wonder how Santa Clause feels about all this.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I understand what you're saying and I disagree.

What relevance is your point in regards to the thread.

Namaste

edit on 23-12-2011 by Threegirls because: to clarify

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by smallpeeps

Didn't watch the video,

But I laughed at your edit line...

"hmmm yeah".

Rock On & Merry Christmas Ya Big Hairy Bast...ard.. .(avatar pic)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Stop the lie...

www.av1611.org...

My children's mother and her entire side of the family plus my own father want to lie to my own children about Santa. As soon as my son, probably 6 at the time asked me if Santa was real I told him Santa was make believe just like Orcs and goblins. My 5 year old daughter still believes even though I directly tell her he is make believe and not real. My son feels empowered to know the truth. I feel sorry for all the kids that will have their hearts broken when they discover the lie that their own parents have been telling them.

I also believe wholeheartedly in Jesus Christ and feel this deception thwarts peoples belief in God. I canot tell you how many people have said I stopped believing in God and Jesus when I found out Santa Claus was a lie.Very clever deception.

Why is Christmas the most depressing time of year? Suicides the highest? On TV, the radio, songs, advertising at the mall, there is nothing about Jesus said at Christmas anymore for fear of being sued or some other liability.

I do not regularly attend church... but I do feel that this Santa LIE has nothing good going for it. As a youngster when watching Santa Claus shows on TV, I would always get sick and feel noxious. I still do to this day.

This simple myth definitely aims to destroy faith in God for people cannot separate if Sanata is a lie then God is too.

Ah well... peace to all... We should be celebrating Jesus, but then again he wasnt born during Christmas time anyhow and this time of year has always been a pagan celebration.

Golden

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarineSniper8541
reply to post by FlySolo

Not another whinny Santa basher, for gods sake until recent ever child in America (just about) believed in Santa until he was old enough to realize its his parents...believing in Santa brought me countless years of happiness during time just as it does for my Muslim nephews and nieces. To see the smiles on their faces and how happy and fun it is to be apart of , which is a good thing rather thank complaining about everything.

You must be one of those glass half empty kind of people, awkward in social events without many friends to be attacking a thing as harmless as Santa Claus...there are more important things to be depressed about so get over it, do a wicka ritual or cast a useless crapy spell and be miserable on your own...dont spread your misery with life.

I wont read your worthless response so dont bother, wait you probably have nothing better to do so you know what rant away, I will go and enjoy the company of my half Muslim and Catholic family...

May Allah bless you with the ability to see and be happy...

Yes you will read my response. You're too full of yourself not to. I never pooped on Santa for the record. I just don't think lying to your kids about it is the correct way to go. So while your god may wish me a happiness, you think my response is worthless. Rich! Maybe you should go read your good book again...
What a religious faker you are.
edit on 23-12-2011 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

edit:
reply to post by nawki

I never told mine there was a Santa, I just didn't tell them there wasn't either. The oldest picked it up, thought it was awesome, and I didn't want to be a dream-crusher. So like I said, half-truth.

edit on 12/23/2011 by Jenna because: Added edit

Sorry, missed your reply.. this threads movin quick.. Please, I'm not having a direct go at anyone, your allowed to do whatever you like. And I think we do whats necessary at this time of year to make it the best we can with the little (personally) that we have. It's all about the FUN and the Gathering, and the food and trying to let go, just for a day, all the crappy things that go on in this world.

Merry Xmas

edit on 23-12-2011 by nawki because: added reply to

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I think I might lay out on the top of my building, late Christmas eve night, with night vision equipment, just in case the Santa UAP is only infrared (and green) visible, and then once with hard evidence in hand, I shall harrass the National Ufo Reporting Center with it. Make a YouTube channel too.

You debunkers.
edit on 23-12-2011 by Saucerwench because: so there!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknessMatters
The belief in a Santa Clause by children should be encouraged. They're children. Let them stay innocent as long as possible.
This whole "War on Christmas" thing is ridiculous at best.

not sure how brainwashing children with BIG perpetual fables like this is HEALTHY, the lie goes on FOr MANY YEARS for a kid. in fact xmas today as it IS practiced programs children to be selfish and to be a "good consumer"

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Already did, several posts ago.

reply to post by Threegirls

That sometimes it's ok to tell our children half-truths including allowing them to continue to believe in Santa.

reply to post by nawki

I agree completely.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join