It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Nigeria on alert as Shell announces worst oil spill in a decade

page: 1
5

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Nigeria on alert as Shell announces worst oil spill in a decade


www.guardian.co.uk

The company said up to 40,000 barrels of crude oil was spilled on Wednesday while it was transferred from a floating oil platform to a tanker 75 miles off the coast of the Niger delta.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Compared to the BP Oil Spill, this is just a drop.

Despite that, it is still an oil spill.

The number given by Shell (40,000), is not trusted, and was said by a Nigerian Human Rights Group.


But a leading Nigerian human rights group said Shell's figures about the quantity of oil spilled or the clean-up could not be relied on. "Shell says 40,000 barrels were spilled and production was shut but we do not trust them because past incidents show that the company consistently under-reports the amounts and impacts of its carelessness," said Nnimmo Bassey, head of Environmental Rights Action, based in Lagos.


www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
that's a bummer.
i read a little while back somewhere in one of the oil producing states of africa that there's been an on-going oil spill for around 20 years. just bubbling away.

rest assured the amount of oil spilled is way more than counted.



posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I read a story last year that stated that more oil is spilled in Africa every year than was released in the gulf spill.

We just don't hear about it.



posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It is sad to see the trend continue of large Western multinational oil companies having double standards of safety norms for the poorer and less developed nations. They take advantage of the none-awareness of rights by these people and the week policies of such nations. Western gunboat diplomacy riddles their governments with corporate puppets, if not outright installs a puppet regime.

The BBC has reported that since 1970 more than 300 major spills have occurred in the Niger delta, with leaks that have gone on for years, making the BP Gulf leak look like a drop in the bucket.

Nigeria: 'World oil pollution capital'



posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Does anyone else feel like oil spills should be a little less frequent? Seems like we would have figured something a little better out.



posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
its a shame, we honestly have no right living on this earth much longer the way we continue to treat it


XL5

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
What gets me is that, if you or me tried to fish any of that oil out of the water, we would get charged with something. In my world the company would stop you, then GIVE you what you needed to take what you wanted and learn from your method of clean up and maybe asked for 10% of the oil back as sort of an equipment rental fee. The world as it stands, is backwards.



posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii
 
Well here we go again BP now here comes The MSDS for Corexit 9527A states that "excessive exposure may cause central nervous system effects, nausea, vomiting, anesthetic or narcotic effects," and "repeated or excessive exposure to butoxyethanol [an active ingredient] may cause injury to red blood cells (hemolysis), kidney or the liver."Lets just poison the food chain just a little more, and if we were ever visited by other civilization not of this planet they would only report that there is no intelligent life in this solar system, with what we do to the planet it is only a matter of time when it decides to heal itself it has done this in the past it will happen again



posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
go go go ... i need crude to go up... !!!


talk about the obvious...



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
If sub-sahara africa ever becomes a world power, I'll be praying..the evils done to them will never be forgotten.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins
 


The obvious would be that you lot didn't listen to bulla the other day, now that's obvious!
What if having that oil then dispersing it DOES effect us on a larger scale than we realise and have been told, they freakin lie about everything else!
Are you listening?
Can you hear that?

It's the sound of your choices rapidly flowing away...



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Steve0001
Well here we go again BP now here comes The MSDS for Corexit 9527A states that "excessive exposure may cause central nervous system effects, nausea, vomiting, anesthetic or narcotic effects," and "repeated or excessive exposure to butoxyethanol [an active ingredient] may cause injury to red blood cells (hemolysis), kidney or the liver.


But it makes the oil "go away".


Well, it stops it floating anyway...



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
it's like the idiots who are pushing ahead with the oil drilling business full steam ahead, hired scientists that will tell them anything if they get paid enough.

"oh ya, no worrys, earth can take like 20 oils spills, no problem!"

think about it people. like really freakin simple for a moment.

BP spill + Fukushima + Iraq war + Chinese pollution + ______ + _________= CAN'T BE GOOD FOR THE EARTH

its amazing how little regard we have for the planet, at the same time as there are billions of religious people subscribed to religions of war

THAT CANT BE A COINCIDENCE...
edit on 23-12-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
It is NOT a coincidence!

this is a link from that article


Yesterday Shell said it had also closed a Gulf of Mexico deep drilling operation after spilling 319 barrels of contaminated fluids.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii
 


Sheesh, I'm already boycotting BP for letting that mess happen in the Gulf. Not Shell!!! If this keeps up, I'm going to run out of companies. I'll just be screwed and sitting at home! But seriously, why the hell is all this happening? I mean, oil spills happen, but this often and this soon after BP is ridiculous!



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Steve0001
reply to post by Oozii
 
Well here we go again BP now here comes The MSDS for Corexit 9527A states that "excessive exposure may cause central nervous system effects, nausea, vomiting, anesthetic or narcotic effects," and "repeated or excessive exposure to butoxyethanol [an active ingredient] may cause injury to red blood cells (hemolysis), kidney or the liver."Lets just poison the food chain just a little more, and if we were ever visited by other civilization not of this planet they would only report that there is no intelligent life in this solar system, with what we do to the planet it is only a matter of time when it decides to heal itself it has done this in the past it will happen again



Is this just veiled genocide?

Maybe the nwo justs wants to poison them.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
reply to post by Oozii
 


Sheesh, I'm already boycotting BP for letting that mess happen in the Gulf. Not Shell!!! If this keeps up, I'm going to run out of companies. I'll just be screwed and sitting at home! But seriously, why the hell is all this happening? I mean, oil spills happen, but this often and this soon after BP is ridiculous!


I'm afraid you're looking for a virgin in a whorehouse.

None of the big oil companies are clean.



posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   


I'm afraid you're looking for a virgin in a whorehouse. None of the big oil companies are clean.
reply to post by AGWskeptic
 


You make a good point. It's getting hard to choose the lesser of the evils when they're all the devil.



new topics

top topics



 
5

log in

join