It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New York Subway Uses This Townhouse As a Secret Exit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Strolling through scenic Brooklyn Heights, this handsome brick house might catch your eye. Perhaps you'll buy it, move in, and spend the rest of your life there. Unfortunately, it's a fake house, hiding a secret NYC Subway exit. The Brooklyn Eagle reports that the mass transit ghost house, filled old electrical panels and little else, ties in directly to the city's underbelly: "Located in the tunnel just east of the river, the exit disguised as a brownstone leads to a grimy-lit set of metal stairs that ascend past utility boxes and ventilation shafts into a windowless room with a door. If you opened the door, you would find yourself on a stoop, which is just part of the façade."

Thought this was kinda cool and wonder if anyone lives near it. Apparently the NYPD is stepping up security now that the secret's out. They don't want anyone running around in the filth that is under NY.

Link

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Interesting, nice find although it's not much of a secret exit now

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I starred and flagged simply because it's a neat story. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if there are more like this?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I know of at least 2 relatively LARGE electrical facilities that have a house built AROUND them. Kind of makes you wonder what's really happening inside the faux building...?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

That is a very cool story and it perfectly illustrates the concept of Hiding in Plain Sight.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Puts a new meaning to the "Old Shell Game" thats fort sure........Now that its out there it will be fun to see how many other fake things get added to yer list.....hehe
Ill start lookin too....cheers

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The 'fake' house was most likely built to preserve the value of the surrounding houses and neighbourhood. The same happens in most cities, usually to hide things that would be considered an eyesore. In California, you'll find fake houses hiding oil wells or pumping stations.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by aaa2500

I would think that was the intent. Less to keep it secret but hide the eyesore. I remember watching a King of the Hill episode where they built a fake house around a transfer station. Always wondered if that actually happens.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Here's another one. The facade and the 'interior'. I wonder how many things like this I've gone past.

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1210778/Dont-believe-eyes--Pizza-delivery-men-tricked-pranksters-ordering-food-fake-houses.html]Link[/url ]

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Good find OP.

The NY subway system has always fascinated me. There are miles upon miles of unused track, many secret exits and corridors, hell, even groups that live there.

I read an article not too long ago about an artist collective that set up a HUGE display in one of the abandoned corridors down there. Its location is really only known to the artists. Really interesting stuff.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I read an article not too long ago about an artist collective that set up a HUGE display in one of the abandoned corridors down there. Its location is really only known to the artists. Really interesting stuff.

That sounds so freaking cool. I'd love to stumble into something like that.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I would think that was the intent. Less to keep it secret but hide the eyesore. I remember watching a King of the Hill episode where they built a fake house around a transfer station. Always wondered if that actually happens.

In the southwest I've seen fake cactii hiding cell phone towers. I would suspect the assessment about the eyesore is correct

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

its not a " secret exit " - its a disguise - to hide unsightly engineering works

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
next step:

watch that house like a hawk to see if/when any sketchy individuals exit the "house"...follow them...to the bat cave, and then convince batman that you should be his protoge...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I do like these things
excellent thanks for sharing..

I have a similar one on the hill opposite me, it was built as a Holiday home for the poor but in bedrooms 4 & 5 there where secret doors to the bunker below.

A bunker that housed a Naval intelligence HQ, in which they planned and directed raids on the continent during WW2 and never detected (or admitted until 1984) such is the simplicity of hiding something in plain sight..

I have to often wondered how frequently we are deceived by things like that.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Cool story

I find things like this fascinating in a purely entertaining way.

Remember the Secret Oil Rigs in Los Angeles?

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for posting it!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
23 and 24 Leinster Gardens, Paddington, London are also fake facades, hiding a pair of London Underground railway lines behind them.

www.urban75.org....

The person who created that page, says the photos are from 1990's, it would be nice to see if there any newer pictures.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Gosh!!! I'm walking distance from this "house" and never knew!!

I am definitely taking a walk there myself this week!, Thanks for posting this!

I would think it was made more to avoid people from going there, plus it makes the block from looking like an eyesore, considering it's pretty pricey there. Although there are many abandoned subway stations in NY, they are not disguised and covered. Full of graffiti, junk etc. So I would think that it is what I originally thought above, or they want/need something hidden in good condition.

There's things like this all over NY, its just a matter of finding them.

One thing that has always amazed me is the rumor of a certain agency IN the Brooklyn Bridge! The sections of the bridge that start from the street to the water is allegedly filled with personnel inside and underground. Ive checked that out a few times when I was in that area, and although I have found nothing definite, I wouldn't doubt it, just by the amount of traffic, parked cars, area, etc.

There are some fascinating things to see in abandoned stations here

top topics

join