It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had $100,000 where would you move to? What would you do with the cash?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I'd get myself a little beach side cabana on Bocas del toros a beautiful island off Panama.

I think I could stretch out 100,000 there for a while.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

edit on 22-12-2011 by cloaked4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Find countries where your currency dolar is worth something ....there is many places that you can bye 3 times more products then in US with same amount of money ... google criminal rate of those countries......i recommend you warmer places .... find what is the law for foreigns staying and many more things i m lazy now ...with 100 000 you still can move to a better place if you want really .
edit on 22-12-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I have a family of 6, I'd pay my van off and buy a second car, other than that I'd stash the rest in case of emergency, it's not enough to move or do much with these days, but it would help a bit.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Why would you leave your country for a hundred grand?

I have my pride.

Family history means something to me.

$100,000 would get me a few acres and off the grid.........thats about it

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
100k is pocket change, it won't get you much, not even in "poor" countries. If do have a suggestion for you, it is one of the most amazing places on earth, and English speaking. Unfortunately it isn't very cheap, but 100k would probably get you a reasonable house. The place I'm talking about is Belize, in Central America. It has British Institutions in place, no violence, beautiful countryside (Classical Mayan Civilization), and a magnificent cost.

But 100k in Belize is, like I said, pocket change...so, do you have any specialized work to make a living? They don't do mass tourism, nor do they like cheap migrants...their isn't too much work for non-specialized, well educated workers...unless, of course, you don't mind being a "mule" for one of the various archaeological expeditions, and the various permanent research facilities...

On the cheapish, with 100k, Vietnam would be an excellent option...unfortunately you would spend most of the money getting there.

I would buy a cheap place to live in the States and invest the rest on commodities. Another solution, that I already saw posted, would be a mobile house to drive around...but with only 100k...

Sorry I couldn't help much but your budget is minuscule, if you're trying to move...unless you're a specialized worker (mechanic, plumber, electrician...). That would permit you to spend most of the cash on the process of getting there, and guarantee an immediate income source once there...sorry

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
HELLO. Reality check - that amount of money is hardly going to give you the good life and why should it precipitate a move? Maybe you are very young and have no idea what things cost. Yes indeed it will go further in some countries. Unfortunately they are likely to be countries either where crime is rife, or the politics/weather are unstable.
Most people would be fortunate if that amount of money would pay off their mortgage even. A few years back I could have spent that and more just getting a modest car, fixing up the house and paying off some of the loan. If we are going to fantasise let's at least talk real money.
edit on 22-12-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SkyMuerte

To answer your questions,

Given certain conditions I would leave the US. I won't get into this, because these conditions primarily are on my family.. and they may not be the same as yours. I would move to either Germany, or Britain. But probably Germany. It would be a slight challenge for an english speaking person to learn the german language, and I feel I would find the society much more comfortable.

What would I invest in? I would probably invest in a business. Either my own, or someone elses which I would think is going to be a success.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

If it was or ever becomes an option, Mars or some other Planet colonization. This place is wretched and the people suck. And I'd have to be the only "colonizer" (my word) just me and my family!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
100 k in my town is good enough for living without working

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
$100k mmmmm......... First I would by anyone that wanted to leave a plain ticket (up to $90k) then pocket the rest I own my place(or it says I do on paper) and I love this country and will die hear whether its by old age or at the tip of a sword.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
So many options.....
like so many others said, 100k isn't really alot in the long run.
I could pay off my equity loan, buy about 50 more acres, raise my own food and get off the grid though.
as for making money after that, wouldn't need much I suppose.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Wow only 100.000 that would not even pay off a cheep home or would only buy a hummer! Not a lot you could change with only winning 100 thou! it would take a minimum of a million now days to move to some nice place and have a life. if you did not know how to manage money a million would not get you fare either. An average home is over 300 thousand now days not a mansion just a nice place at least here in CA. The a nice car and some new furniture...college for the kids...wham bam a can of spam its all GONE!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
i would buy 10 acres in southern Missouri for $20,000 or so. Put up a 2 story dome house $35,0000 completed. erect two 20 ft domes that are greenhouses for $15000. $10000 for a well and solar/wind power. $20000 for livestock, a small tractor, and seed. ahhh freedom!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I'm sorry to say, but 100,000 is no money at all. Hardly enough to make moving out of the country worthwhile. Unless you are moving to Canada or Mexico.

A million dollars would be much more practical.

It's just no sustainable. Unless you had a decent job lined up already..etc.
edit on 12/22/2011 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
i would donate it to ron paul, he needs it more then i, and this country needs him more then ever

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
move to any caribbean island and you'll live like a gentleman rancher. they'll call you senor.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I would make my best efforts to build a small yet efficient underground bunker in the rural areas of west texas / arizona, buying supplies to suffice me for a while.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I should have mentioned at the very top of the post that I have a hot air balloon company. $100,000 was s imply a starting number as I could easily move with twice that and three balloons. I should have said that at the front of the post but I did not want to come off as some rich guy. I am far from it lol.

I make a decent living here in the Peoples Republic of California but sadly, I have zero faith in our wonderful economy being able to continue to bring in the money I would like.

I am a simple guy and am happy shipping a couple of balloons down to another place to play. My plans are to operate in a tourist thick but gorgeous, warm climate place. I dream of lite winds and fair skies.

Belize may be too breezy to make a living. I have found an amazing place in Vietnam but the military partnership idea scares me lol.

Still playing spin the globe but ya know, the world just seems to get smaller and smaller.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join