It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had $100,000 where would you move to? What would you do with the cash?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I am asking this question of this community as the perspective is unique and asking mainstream folks produces only mainstream answers. I have zero faith in the usual investments or the stock market, I like hard work but hate gambling in a system stacked against me.

1. Would you leave the U.S.
2. Where would you move to?
3. What would you invest in?

Please skip the usual answers such as buy gold, buy guns..... I am looking for creative ways and places to live, Countries that easy to do business in etc etc.

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum however were it not for the Political Madness were are currently expecting I would not be looking for ideas...... I appreciate your responses.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I would move to the poorest countries on earth because that's all I would be able to afford. 100k wont get you that far

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'd move to middle of nowhere Arkansas and get off the grid. I'd have chickens, goats, and aquaponic greenhouses.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Why would I wish to leave?

What do other countries have to offer that I don't have here?

Just wondering?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

Yup 100k ain't much anymore. ) :

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
the problem is that countries that are cheap are normally the most corrupt so you'd spend most of your money greasing the wheel for a permit to do this and authorisation to do that and as a few brits have found in spain that if the local government wants to build a road through your property you have to pay for it as an example

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
No where considering the Government would take half in taxes so that 100k is now 50k wouldn't move and i would go buy gold with it consider cash is worthless these days.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I'd save that 100k and put in the market after it crashes. It's all the rage!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Find a piece of land with a cave on it and become a hermit then.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
If I had $100,000 I would buy a Sprinter motorhome, and convert it to run on veggie oil.
Then I would buy a lifetime membership to the Lost Dutchman's Mining Association, and camp for free on their claims all across the country and look for gold.
That's what I would do.
edit on 22-12-2011 by hoppy because: corrections

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
$100,000 only just covered the addition I put on my house. Wouldn't come near how much i would require to move.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'd go straight to New Zealand, buy a plot of land in the country for a few K, then spend the rest on supplies and tools while working for whatever living I can get.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I would either put it toward my mortgage, or buy more land. Land is the only thing they dont make anymore.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Why? Are you gonna give me the 100 Grand? If so, i'd be HAPPY to share my plans, and split profits: 50-50. I figure, $100,000 could make us a $1,000,000, maybe more. You interested?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
pay on my house .... one step closer to being debt free oh wait taxes and what the gov keeps racking up

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I would invest in my state's new medical program and grow medicine.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SkyMuerte

It really depends on how open minded you are but I'd look for two things.

A poor country in which your Dollar will still have some value and also one that is also relatively stable/safe.

Unfortunately that eliminates much of south america which fits the first criteria...but categorically doesn't meet the second as far as safety is concerned.

I'd consider a place like Greece or Portugal which have a nice warm climate and where with the current economic downturn you can still get alot for your Dollar still. And in being on the continent of Europe you would still be able to pick up and go elsewhere if needbe.

Which you cannot do if you are on an Island.in the Pacific..and or in Asia ...

Greece and Portugal have great weather and beaches , great food & culture....inexpensive and are safe.

And I see that you most likely speak/comprehend Spanish so Portuguese wouldn't be too difficult to pick up.
Greece might be more a bargain though....

Peace

Unfortunately Gold and or Silver will be your most stable and liquid investment against inflation.
Especially with what is going on with the currencies such as the Euro.
The saber rattling against Iran will likely spell well for the US Dollar though.....

Liquidity is a major consideration and once purchased there are no blood sucking fees and penalties as you will likely incur if your money was in a bank CD or a brokerage house.

In fact $100K , with gold being at $1600. per ounce you could pack up and carry your entire wad in the form of once ounce coins 10 per tube on your person if need be. Keeping most of it in a safe....

Also Europe is considerably more receptive to Gold...which can be exchanged at any bank.

edit on 22-12-2011 by nh_ee because: Live Free or Die

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SkyMuerte

My house costs 3 times that!! What the heck can you even buy nowadays with $100,000?? I could pick up groceries and maybe a couple candy bars....

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I have always wanted to move to New Zealand and I have not even been there yet, lol. I have a couple of hot air balloons and want to fly and live other places. New Zealand I would love, but I would have to compete with a couple of existing balloon companies. I do not think it would be polite to do that, even if I could get a permit to do business there. Pretty sure they would not welcome competition from an American.

Anyone have any experience doing business in North Vietnam?

edit on 22-12-2011 by SkyMuerte because: Poor grammer

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
In Los Angeles, home prices have still not dropped enough for me to move anywhere with $100,000.00.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join