It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Set to Hold War Games in International Waters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I personally believe that Iran has the right to exercise their right to travel in international waters. All the back and forth rhetoric from all sides as of recently will cause some concern with the timing of this exercise, but it should not come as a surprise as Iran is holding routine military exercises within it's own geographical neighborhood.

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran's navy chief said Thursday his forces plan to hold a 10-day drill in international waters beyond the strategic Strait of Hormuz at the mouth of the Persian Gulf, an exercise that could bring Iranian ships into proximity with U.S. Navy vessels.

The drill will be Iran's latest show of strength in the face of mounting international criticism over its controversial nuclear program, which the West fears is aimed at producing atomic weapons — charges that Tehran denies, insisting the program is for peaceful purposes only.

The Strait of Hormuz is of strategic significance as the passageway for about a third of the world's oil tanker traffic. Beyond it lie vast bodies of water, including the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Aden. The U.S. Navy's Bahrain-based Fifth Fleet is also active in the area, as are warships of several other countries that patrol for pirates there.

"The maneuvres will be carried out with the intention of displaying the determination, defensive and deterrent power of the Iranian armed forces as well as relaying a message of peace and friendship in the Strait of Hormuz, the Sea of Oman and the free waters of the Indian Ocean," Adm. Habibollah Sayyari said.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The rest of the article goes on to repeat the same old propaganda we've been hearing the last few months, with links to other articles riddled with propaganda.

The Western media will most likely portray this as a provocation on Iran's part and milk it as much as possible in the intention of gathering public support for the inevitable upcoming strike on Iran.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'm sure that our ships will be on a heightend alert level.

Give us a chance to practice our skills of fire control tracking on actual targets for a change.

It will be interesting, none the less.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

I never thought of that, but it certainly would give the Americans a great opportunity to practice some of their own maneuvers.

I just hope that something doesn't escalate over a simple misunderstanding. Last thing we need is another Gulf of Tonkin or USS liberty type incident.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Doesn't NATO practice their drills and tactical maneuvers in international waters?

For those who might not be aware:

Iran has signed the NPT, Israel has not
Iran has NOT made a nuclear weapon and is currently incapable of enriching uranium to the required purity for a bomb, this according to the IAEA inspections that Iran ALLOWED of their nuclear sites.
Iran doesn't have the technology to launch a missile very far from their borders.
Iran has not invaded or attacked anyone in hundreds of years

And lets also get something straight. The US and Israel have given themselves the powers to engage in "pre-emptive" war, something entirely illegal according to the UN and international law.

As such, they deem the right to attack a target that MIGHT pose a threat at some later time, namely, Iran.

Does this not give Iran the right to pre-emptively strike Israel and the US ?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Doesn't NATO practice their drills and tactical maneuvers in international waters?

For those who might not be aware:

Iran has signed the NPT, Israel has not
Iran has NOT made a nuclear weapon and is currently incapable of enriching uranium to the required purity for a bomb, this according to the IAEA inspections that Iran ALLOWED of their nuclear sites.
Iran doesn't have the technology to launch a missile very far from their borders.
Iran has not invaded or attacked anyone in hundreds of years

And lets also get something straight. The US and Israel have given themselves the powers to engage in "pre-emptive" war, something entirely illegal according to the UN and international law.

As such, they deem the right to attack a target that MIGHT pose a threat at some later time, namely, Iran.

Does this not give Iran the right to pre-emptively strike Israel and the US ?

Sure, they could pre-emptively strike- might not be the wisest decision. Sounds like you are on a soapbox.

On topic, it seems inevitable that these two navies in close proximity is bound to set something off.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I certainly see your point, I agree with you but it would be foolish for Iran to provoke Israel/USA, in fact it would be suicide. You already know this of course.

In principle though, Iran has every right to defend themselves against these hostile aggressors.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Great post! Thanks for the info.
I was wondering if you have a link to the IAEA inspection report mentioned in your post?? I'd love to read it and share. Thanks!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by followtheevidence

Link to the report:

Implementation of the NPT Safeguards Agreement and relevant provisions of Security Council resolutions in the Islamic Republic of Iran

It's loaded with BS and half truths, a whole lot of "maybe" and "possibly" too.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I wouldnt be surprised if Iran has some high tech stuff it wants to show off. Might possibly prevent ww3, as i doubt it is a war the US could win without nuking a country who is allies with a nation who has more than double the nukes that the US holds.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Thanks mate!

Posted and shared

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by followtheevidence

You're welcome. I've had to pull out that report a few times to prove a point so I keep it handy

The applicable people will tell you this and that on what's supposed to be in there but they can never point out where, another tactic of theirs is just to list random sections of the report and hope we never took the time to read it. Well, I called their bluff. I dissected each part of the report they mentioned and the evidence shows that the report is nothing more than opinion and half truths based on incorrect information.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Im starting to think Iran rhetoric may just be a smokescreen for something else in the works atm. I just think we are not really going to attack them. There is something going on behind the scenes and Iran talk is keeping everyone busy.
edit on 22-12-2011 by stonebutterfly because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

Sounds like? He should have started out by saying "To all my faithful followers"

Did anyone say they couldnt??

Phishy - Who said anything about Israel?

Did the article mention Irans Nukes? or Israels?

Example:

Headline "IRAN welcomes Brazilian Soccer team"

Phishy's response to headline:

Israel has nukes, Iran not attack 100 years, US backed, Zionist, IAEA blah blah blah.

Doesn't it get old for you? For us, it has been old.

Nobody says that Iran can not hold these drills. The US govt. hasn't said it, I didn't see anyone here say it.. So why did you feel it was necessary to climb up on that soap box and start tossing out flash words and phrases?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I haven't read the report, but I have to ask.

You stated that there were half truths and incorrect information.

I can stomach the "half truths" part. It would assume it was meant to be used as a "Attack Iran" piece...

BUT, what are your sources or evidence for saying it contains "incorrect information'?

I am going to spend some time tonight reading through it....

One thing to add...

Wouldn't Iran be letting down their populace if the WERE NOT chasing a nuclear weapon??

There is ZERO doubt in my mind, Iran is actively going after a nuclear weapon... But I don't see a problem with that... That's what I would do, if I were in charge. The only deterrent to nukes, is nukes!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

I am new to ATS, but am starting to see a trend.

People mistake wishful thinking for facts, and risk coming across as nothing more than ignorant.

A Nuclear weapon WILL never be used by one nation against another. It will be a sneak attack from someone that suffers from the religion delusion....

BUT, there is not a combined force on this planet that could last 7 days VS the US military...

I often see mental midgets using Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam as examples of the US military weakness...

That is such a funny argument...

IF the US wanted every single person in all 3 of those countries dead, they would have been. BUT, that wasn't our mission. Although many here would disagree, the US is trying to help these people.

So don't be so naive, to call the US military weak... The only thing weak about our military is our political control arm. Our forces should only be used in extreme cases where utter destruction is required... Not in these little dirt squirrel towns going door to door.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ALEXANDROS69

I spent a great deal of time dissecting certain portions of that report. It has a lot of content, but I had a member claim certain parts of it proved the claims against Iran. They pointed out a few specific sections and it was all conjecture and based on incorrect information that has been admitted afterwords. The information is in a few threads but if you're really interesting I can probably put something together for you.

One of the main lies the Zionists were using in the report was about the Russian scientist, but after the fact it was announced the claims against him were without merit and nothing more than political sabotage.

U2U me what you want to know about and I can set up a few links for you within the next couple days.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
It's just a drill.

Iran has the right to make how many drills they want.

If someone attacks Iranian vessels because of this drill, this "someone" will be the solely responsible for the disgrace of humanity, and Iran will have ZERO responsibility, and I will NEVER blame Iran. I will blame the "someone" for the rest of my life (even if it's a short life, because of the following World War III).

edit on 23-12-2011 by GLontra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I started thinking after 9/11 the amount of terrorist attacks world wide has got to be stopped.Iran funds money directly to them.This garbage with muslim exetremist blowing up innocent people has got to be stopped with everyone coming together to declare war on those who fund them or harbor them .When will we say enough is enough.They mass murder their own people and don't care at all.If you keep adding all the deaths up it is not on the same level as Hitler but it is just as looney and crazy and mad in the head as He was.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You know what's even better, they begin on December 24... which is a no-moon day... perfect for air strikes.

And there's a US carrier group in the area.

Wouldn't this be neat timing for a gulf of tonkin incident while everyone is busy with Christmas?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Iraq is plunging into sectarian violence with the recent bombings reported on CNN website.
Looks like without the U.S. presence, the Iraq government may not last for long.

I wonder if Iran could be considering a move into Iraq as some point in the near future...U.S. pulls out of Iraq, Iran goes in with Russia to fill the void, presto change-o, so long democracy in Iraq.
Seems fair though, considering that Russia had to leave Afganistan 20+ plus years ago and now the U.S. is in there.
Now, Russia can get into Iraq, then the U.S. can get into Syria...
It's just such a tangled game of chess...Egypt, Libya, Tunisia (remember them?)...All this Foreign Relations activity seems to be a continuation of a long running cold war. The hot stuff is just temporary flare ups.

I really don't like seeing the world and the relationships between nations as one long running episode of Big Brother or Survivor or any of those similar gameshows, but it appears that Art does in fact imitate Life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join