It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How should a Prepper prep for Christmas travel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
'Tis the season for heading over the river and through the woods to Grandma's house, but with the recent news of 17K birds being culled in Hong Kong and the creation of a very virulent strain of H5N1 many of us will be traveling far from our supplies for the holidays.

From my reading of the news, it doesn't appear that it is time to hit the panic button, but greater caution should be instituted. While I am confident in my preparations for dealing with a pandemic while at home, obviously I will be far less prepared for an outbreak when I am 2000 miles from home. Add to the fact that we will be traveling with children, through one of the busiest airports in the world and trapped in a metal tube with circulated air, you can understand why I am slightly concerned.

The aforementioned Grandma's house, while it doesn't possess the supplies that my own home does, it is located in a far better area (i.e. very very rural. nearest community is also very isolated, etc.). The problem comes from the fact that a pandemic is a slow burn type disaster and not an immediate, life changing event. In the event of a nuclear holocaust, it is obvious when to switch to survival mode. A flu pandemic creeps up on you. The proverbial frog in the vat of boiling water.

So, what advise does the community offer myself and others that will be traveling this holiday season? Again, there is nothing in the news (yet) that makes me convinced to throw away thousands of dollars and cancel the trip, but there is enough concern to warrant addition precautions.

I will be including in my carryon bag, N95 respirators, protein bars, more cash than I normally would bring, latex gloves, etc.

Any other suggestions?

I would like to take this time in advance to thank you for your input.
edit on 22-12-2011 by LordOfArcadia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
FRUITCAKE!

Sorry. It does store indefinitely and is chock full of calories.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
you will be fine. IT can take weeks for a pandemic to spread, if it is even released. Just keep your hands away from everything or brings lots of sanitizer at the airport.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I have to travel to an urban cesspool every Christmas because for some reason the woman still enjoys her families company.

I pack things I would need to get home on foot if I had to.

Some food stuffs, a hiking water filter, fire-starting tools, compass and maps, basic backpacking type stuff. And a firearm.

If I'm going to die it sure as hell wont be in that god awful place. It'll either be home or on my way home.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
First of all you are at a disadvantage because you are flying.
When you fly you give up the right to keep most of your survival gear with you.

I have mostly quit flying and drive almost everywhere now if I travel. I have flown twice in the last 10 years.

When I drive I carry everything I would need to survive and get home and I assume I will do so on foot. If transportation comes along then all the better.

I carry my main BOB which has fire starting equipment, water purification items, 2 knives, emergency food rations, compass, GPS, Small LED flashlight, spare AA batteries, Sig P226 & 2 spare magazines (check in with TSA obviously), 200 rounds of 9mm. ammo (has to be store properly so check regs.),
toilet paper, small aluminum pan for boiling water or cooking, a small first aid kit & a rain poncho.

My wife has her own bag with similar items + a few girlie things.

When I fly:

I take a few things on the carry-on bag that's allowed........

My GPS (if the plane goes down....... and you survive you will know right where you are)
I buy half dozen granola bars and snacks at the terminal before you get on the plane
I buy 2 liter bottles of water to take on with me
Now they let me take my lighter & cigarettes on a plane again so I have a fire starter item
I also carry and use (but don't need) a good wooden cane (that can be a decent weapon in a confined airplane if say something odd were to happen like someone had box cutters and tried to hijack the plane???)
I carry a map of the states I will be flying over and a compass.

So I at least have a map, GPS, compass, food, water, fire starter and a very basic weapon with me.
If I can get to my bag in the hold then I am way better of after something happens.

Soon as I land and get out of the airport and get the rental car (which is a 4x4 SUV if I am where weather requires it)
and if weather may not be an issue I get the car that goes furthest on a tank of fuel. preferably diesel. Diesel would be easy to find if the SHTF. most farms carry it, hit any landfill or construction site to raid heavy equipment fuel.

Anyways soon as I have the vehicle I stop at a store and buy a case of water or two and more healthy snack items
to carry with the vehicle.

I have prepped for 25 years and worry that when and if something happens I will be away from my home and gear.

I give myself the best possible chance of getting back home on foot if need be.

And yeah............ I am overly paranoid

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It is interesting how many of the items mentioned, I will already have with me, and I consider myself a low-paranoia guy.

I always have on me my smartphone, which contains GPS, maps pre-loaded, small number of handy reference books installed, etc. I also almost always have my iPad, with a far more extensive library of materials, topographic maps, etc.

I will have my hand crank 10W USB charger, to keep the aforementioned devices functioning. Granola bars, protein bars, water, toliet paper, hand sanitizer, etc. are necessities when traveling with kids.

The biggest two areas where I am falling short on the recommendations is the fact that I am flying. Due to the distance involved, duration of trip and traveling with small children, driving simply isn't feasible. As for taking enough supplies to make it home on foot if necessary, because of how far north I am traveling, the time of year and the distance involved, it would be suicide to attempt such an endeavor. If, God forbid, the SHTF while we are gone, the far more prudent course of action would be to hole up there.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Use a P100 filter, for the respirator. This is your best bet for travel, as the protection offered is more thorough and comprehensive. What you listed is a toy in comparison.
edit on 23-12-2011 by B48621A9115Q024 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join