It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,100-year-old Mayan ruins found in North Georgia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

This is Atlantean not Mayan

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Theres an ancient native american city built in Scott, AR that is relatively large and artifacts have been unearthed from the Toltec civilzation. There's even a mud pyramid that took 1 million loads of dirt to build, my uncle played on it as a boy and never even knew what it was. No one knew what it was until farmers started plowing up human remains and some archeaologists were called in to investigate. It's called Toltec Mounds in Scott, AR.

Toltec Mounds, Scott Arkansas

Evidence indicates that the north american peoples may have traded with south and central american peoples by way of the mississippi and arkansas rivers.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Here's the archaeological report:
(and it's by Mark Williams)

(if that doesn't work, google for Kenimer Mound and select the PDF. Although the story reports he "didn't know who made it", HIS reports clearly show "Woodlands culture" being identified.)

This isn't even the right report. It's a completely different site... The report refers to archaeological site 9Wh68, while the article refers to 9UN367, which is not the Kenimer site. And btw, it's Maya... not Mayan, unless you're talking about the Mayan language.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
FYI too: AZTEC styled farming designed beds found in South Eastern Michigan by Henry Ford nealy 100 years ago under several feet of topsoil. It can be researched as well.

PS And diagrams of them as well online
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
Makes me wonder if these "blended tribes" were or at least influenced the mound builders at different sites.

I live near and have visited the HUGE Cahokia Mounds site many times and find this very interesting.

eta: AHH. Thanks Byrd. Very helpful, as usual.
NVM my above comments.^^
edit on 12/22/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

I lived near Cahokia for nearly a year and spent many days touring it. I can see how it might have been influenced by Mayans. Their own version.

Did you also see the "Woodhenge" that is located there which is almost identical to Stonehenge?

It was a very mystical place for me seeing the influence of two completely different cultures.
edit on 22-12-2011 by supine because: spelling

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
this is really exciting news. I have studied Choctaw & Chickasaw legends both of the same origin. the legend states Chickasaw & Choctaw were brothers that lead their people away from their homeland because of volcanoes & great earth ''shaking'' .first by following the ''north star'' in boats they landed on this shore(north America) very far away (from Mississippi). The people were originally one unified tribe as they followed the direction that the painted stick( a gift from the Great Father) leaned each morning.the ''Great Father'' lead them through the desert, through the plains across the mi-sha- ship- pi, ''Mississippi'' river on to NAnWelA( a leaning mound) in north Mississippi. The two brothers Choc & Chic eventually became tribal leaders unfortunately their tribes were separated by a great fire. Their language is ''muskhogean'' in origin....I ,am not a linguist so I am wondering about the Mayan language and how closely if at all , it may relate to Muskhogean. I have more info given to me through oral histories from my ancestors as well as northern Mississippi natives I have interviewed in my travels. If you have any more info please share. Thankz.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
well I read the original article and I saw five sided Mayan pyramid

the Mayans didn't build five sided pyramids,nobody did as far as I know?

The Maya hadn't made earthern pyramids for some time but the Olmecs tended to make them. However the easiest raised platform to make is to pile up dirt until you get a mound. It's basic construction and doesn't need to come from somewhere else, people recreated that idea in many cultures

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Theres an ancient native american city built in Scott, AR that is relatively large and artifacts have been unearthed from the Toltec civilzation. There's even a mud pyramid that took 1 million loads of dirt to build, my uncle played on it as a boy and never even knew what it was. No one knew what it was until farmers started plowing up human remains and some archeaologists were called in to investigate. It's called Toltec Mounds in Scott, AR.

Yes that its name but it is not descriptive of who actually built the mounds

The identification of the site with the Toltec of Mexico was a 19th-century mistake. Mrs. Gilbert Knapp, owner of the land from 1857 to 1900, thought the Toltecs had built the mounds. Investigations at the site by archaeologist Edward Palmer from the Smithsonian Institutions Bureau of American Ethnology in 1883 helped prove that the ancestors of Native Americans had built these mounds and all other mounds within the present-day United States, and were part of a mound building tradition that stretched from the Late Archaic period to the Protohistoric period

Rolingson, Martha Ann (1982). Emerging Patterns of Plum Bayou Culture
reliminary Investigations of the Toltec Mounds Research Project. Arkansas Archaeological Survey. ISBN 1-56349-042-0.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by lindsaylove
Their language is ''muskhogean'' in origin....I ,am not a linguist so I am wondering about the Mayan language and how closely if at all , it may relate to Muskhogean.

Good thought but not supported by the evidence; as you noted Choctaw is a Muskogeon language while Mayan evolved from Proto-Mayan into Proto-Ch'olan and Proto-Yucatan both of which were influenced by other languages like Mixe–Zoquean these became the two main branches of what is now known as Mayan which is split into 21 dialects. No relation is noted between them and us Choctaws.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
did they find any buried horses!!!?

this is a bad attempt at a joke about another thread that said they dug up 1100 year old horse skeletons in peru.
horses weren't in peru at that time!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Well despite that fact, there has been artifacts recovered from the toltec civilzation which is how it got its name. In did a research paper on it in my north american archeaology class in college (anthropology major). Only 1% of the site has been excavated and the irritating thing about it is we have to rebury the site after the excavation is over which makes it really hard to catalogue and make new discoveries and new insights having that dreadful native american burial ground protection law.

The interesting thing we found is that the citu has a similar layout to Tenochtitlan and Teotihuacan .

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Well despite that fact, there has been artifacts recovered from the toltec civilzation which is how it got its name. In did a research paper on it in my north american archeaology class in college (anthropology major). Only 1% of the site has been excavated and the irritating thing about it is we have to rebury the site after the excavation is over which makes it really hard to catalogue and make new discoveries and new insights having that dreadful native american burial ground protection law.

The interesting thing we found is that the citu has a similar layout to Tenochtitlan and Teotihuacan .

Interesting, what were these artifacts were these luxury trade goods or what, which publication covers these? The Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (1990) or The Archaeological Resource Protection Act (1979)? Unless there is a structure one tends to cover up the site especially if erosion is a problem - you did make the extent of the excavation with coke bottles didn't you?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

They were small stone idols or statues and no theres not structure covering the dig sites, theyre all open air and the only structure is a small museum as far as the last time i was there which was as an undergrad 10 years ago. Getting funding to expand is nearly impossible. The state of Arkansas has basically just turned it into a tourist attraction and a small one because Scott is lirerally in the middle of nowhere and the closest town England is a dried up old farm town where teenage kids would rather buy drugs for recreation as opposed to learning history.

I actually live near Petit Jean Mountain Statepark and there's artifacts that were found at rockhouse cave that pre-date some of the oldest native american sites in the nation. Artifacts discovered there were bone needles dated about 8,000 years ago, unfortunately when i was last there this passed summer some local kids went up there and vandalized the site and spray painted over the cave pictographs that were nearly 10,000 years old. That really pisses me off. People are just evil and have no respect for the history of mankind.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

They were small stone idols or statues and no theres not structure covering the dig sites, That really pisses me off. People are just evil and have no respect for the history of mankind.

Vandalization is a common problem world wide - actually western countries tend to be less respectful to ancient things than most Asian countries but the worse or the ones in the Middle-East which seem to take more damage than most, unless they are Islamic

So no publication outlining these Toltec finds?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
If I go out onto my front porch, Brasstown Bald is just over the treeline to the east. Naturally, this story hit quite close to home, but unfortunately the link to the examiner kind of killed it for me. I did a quick read of both articles, and I'm left a bit puzzled. Once the writer talks about the Trackrock petroglyphs, and then moves on to the Kenimer mound in White County.

I haven't visited the Kenimer mound (didn't know about it until this thread, actually, so at least all wasn't in vain), but I fail to see how one building style and a vague or non-existent link to the Trackrock site can blow up into irrefutable proof of a mass migration of the Maya. Curse Raw for getting my hopes up. Here I thought I might have something right under my nose worthy of investigation.... =(

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

well I read the original article and I saw five sided Mayan pyramid

the Mayans didn't build five sided pyramids,nobody did as far as I know?

The Maya hadn't made earthern pyramids for some time but the Olmecs tended to make them. However the easiest raised platform to make is to pile up dirt until you get a mound. It's basic construction and doesn't need to come from somewhere else, people recreated that idea in many cultures

true Haneslune ,but what I'm saying is a FIVE SIDED PYRAMID is Not found in any ancient culture that I know of,I'm not saying I know of all ancient cultures but if I'm wrong somebody show me one
the earth mounds you speak are circular or four sided pyramidal no fives no matter who made them

a five sided pyramid would not come from any known cultures and this one would need more than one of these to be a civilization, something ain't right

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

true Haneslune ,but what I'm saying is a FIVE SIDED PYRAMID is Not found in any ancient culture that I know of,I'm not saying I know of all ancient cultures but if I'm wrong somebody show me one
the earth mounds you speak are circular or four sided pyramidal no fives no matter who made them

a five sided pyramid would not come from any known cultures and this one would need more than one of these to be a civilization, something ain't right

Well that is true; but not for the reason you might think. five sided pyramids are normally recorded as pentagon shaped mounds

I would look at the Emerald mound which is in your neck of the woods and here is a link to a discussion of mounds in general

Link to mounds

page 383 has a discussion on an unusual pentagon shaped mound

At Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, there is a circular mound enclosing a pentagram. The outer circle measures 1200 feet, and the pentagon is 200 feet on each side. The mound is 36 feet in diameter and 12 feet high. Its summit is composed of white pipe-clay, beneath which has been found a large quantity of mica. Four miles away, on the low lands of the Kickapoo River, is a mound with eight radiating points, very likely representing the sun. This mound is 60 feet in diameter at the base and three feet high, the points extending about nine feet. Surrounding this mound are five crescent-shaped mounds, arranged in a circle.

They are rare but do exist

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
interesting! thanks for showing me that !! I'm gonna call it non Mayan though,the mound cultures were their own culture not Mayan

cheers!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

interesting! thanks for showing me that !! I'm gonna call it non Mayan though,the mound cultures were their own culture not Mayan

cheers!

Oh and I forgot to mention; many platforms and mounds that may have been made with an unusual number of sides have, over time, eroded into shapeless mounds or irregular ovals.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Along with the Etowah mounds they are 100's of mounds in Georgia I live with in 3 miles of one of the Cherokee mounds that has never been excavated. It sits on the banks of long swamp creek in the Nelson / Ball ground area on private land.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join