It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air we breathe and .... to pay for it!The battle for Oxygen.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

Originally posted by verschickter

My opinion is, if theres not a Yellowstone or volcano or any other big disaster, the levels will change so slowly that most live forms will adapt to it over time.
edit on 22-12-2011 by verschickter because: spelling
We will adapt,just like in,"Total Recall",I just wait for that!

Did not watch this movie. So I will bite. How did they adapted in Total Recall?
They transformed in Elves.

For real? If this was a joke, then your trolling on your own thread. how genius. and just because you disagree with me. how cheap.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

My opinion is, if theres not a Yellowstone or volcano or any other big disaster, the levels will change so slowly that most live forms will adapt to it over time.

For real? If this was a joke, then your trolling on your own thread. how genius. and just because you disagree with me. how cheap.
Sorry,this is my level of perception about their transformation!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

He says that 20.95% is the current level, where 19.5% is going critical.

Various other websites say Since the beginning of the industrial revolution we have removed .095% of the oxygen in our atmosphere.
That means we need another 15 similar reductions before we're all dead.

Ah good you made that clear! I see there is many mis/disinformation in the article, also regarding the 19.5%.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

No reason to be sorry ^^. Just read that total recall is a movie with schwarzenegger, couldn´t imagine that he plays in a movie with elves. If you dont joke, then everything should be invisible after the word "joke" for you. Thats how I meant the IF.

edit on 22-12-2011 by verschickter because: could -> couldn´t

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

yeeah I probably would die as an infant...too expensive to live, and I wouldn't mind cause wh wants to be on this filthy rock anyway? Certainly not me!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

No reason to be sorry ^^. Just read that total recall is a movie with schwarzenegger, couldn´t imagine that he plays in a movie with elves. If you dont joke, then everything should be invisible after the word "joke" for you. Thats how I meant the IF.

edit on 22-12-2011 by verschickter because: could -> couldn´t
Yes it's such a beauty they have so many things growth in plus compared to a normal person.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Textyeeah I probably would die as an infant
Let's hope that things will be better in the future
edit on 22-12-2011 by diamondsmith because: future

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

This is definitely the direction we're going - lots of big cities already have coin-operated oxygen dispensers on public streets. ...Reminds me of "Total Recall."

REALLY important. Good catch. ...SnF

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Finally see what and how you are, Elves.... I would call you a spamer but that word is no longer used in forum speech I think.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

Elves
They are.....from darkness.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

This is definitely the direction we're going - lots of big cities already have coin-operated oxygen dispensers on public streets. ...Reminds me of "Total Recall."

REALLY important. Good catch. ...SnF

Thank you soficrow,let's hope the Earth will forgive us for what we are doing .

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

TextIf it is possible that oxygen levels are dangerously falling, then more updates (and references) would be available by now.
I try to update,but I didn't find anywhere.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

Yes what the scaremongering author also omit to mention is that we actually only REQUIRE 4% oxygen since that is all that is taken in by the lungs.

If the difference of 2% was critical just how do you suppose mouth to mouth resuscitation could work?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

lots of big cities already have coin-operated oxygen dispensers on public streets

Really? Why?

Pandering to mass hysteria. There is no danger to oxygen supplies in the world.

Think about it. How do mountain climbers climb? Ascend Everest and others without oxygen? Because as i said we only NEED 4%

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Oxygen is produced by plants breaking down water, co2 has no direct factor in earths oxygen
m.sciencemag.org...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

TextIncreasing carbon dioxide and decreasing oxygen in the oceans will make it harder for deep-sea animals to "breathe" A new study by marine chemists at MBARI suggests that deep-ocean animals such as this owlfish (Bathylagus milleri) may suffer as carbon dioxide increases and oxygen concentrations decline in the deep sea Image: © 2001 MBARI New calculations made by marine chemists from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) suggest that low-oxygen "dead zones" in the ocean could expand significantly over the next century. These predictions are based on the fact that, as more and more carbon dioxide dissolves from the atmosphere into the ocean, marine animals will need more oxygen to survive. Concentrations of carbon dioxide are increasing rapidly in the Earth's atmosphere, primarily because of human activities. About one third of the carbon dioxide that humans produce by burning fossil fuels is being absorbed by the world's oceans, gradually causing seawater to become more acidic. However, such "ocean acidification" is not the only way that carbon dioxide can harm marine animals. In a "Perspective" published today in the journal Science, Peter Brewer and Edward Peltzer combine published data on rising levels of carbon dioxide and declining levels of oxygen in the ocean in a set of new and thermodynamically rigorous calculations. They show that increases in carbon dioxide can make marine animals more susceptible to low concentrations of oxygen, and thus exacerbate the effects of low-oxygen "dead zones" in the ocean.
source(www.mbari.org...

visit link for full article

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

what utter twaddle - please demonstrate your claim

you really do need a basic education in human physiology

yes it is true that in std atmosphere [ 20.9% o2 ] we only metabolise 4% of the oxygen we inhale , but that does not mean we can survive on a 4% concentration

the simple reason for this is EFFICIENCY , a full explaination is beyon the scope of this thread .

but it all boils down to efficiency [ and partial pressure
] - in short it is impossible for the lungs to exchange 100% of the oxygen in thier volume across the membranes ove the alveoli to the heamablogin of the red blood cells

thus we need an oxygen concentration far higher than our metabolic requirement - that is why humans require > 12% to have a hope of survival

PS - a simpler example / explaination = a parrafin wax candle , in an enclosed environment - its flame will be extinguished when oxygen conc drops to 18% .

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Really? Why? .....Pandering to mass hysteria. There is no danger to oxygen supplies in the world.

Not mass hysteria - air pollution - and oxygen masks are used to treat respiratory distress and failure. The efficacy of an oxygen mask with reservoir bag in patients with respiratory failure.

A quick overview on air pollution.

Air pollution is a mixture of solid particles and gases in the air. Car emissions, chemicals from factories, dust, pollen and mold spores may be suspended as particles. Ozone, a gas, is a major part of air pollution in cities. When ozone forms air pollution, it's also called smog.

Some air pollutants are poisonous. Inhaling them can increase the chance you'll have health problems. People with heart or lung disease, older adults and children are at greater risk from air pollution. Air pollution isn't just outside - the air inside buildings can also be polluted and affect your health.

A variety of air pollutants have known or suspected harmful effects on human health and the environment. In most areas of Europe, these pollutants are principally the products of combustion from space heating, power generation or from motor vehicle traffic. Pollutants from these sources may not only prove a problem in the immediate vicinity of these sources but can travel long distances.

Health Effects
Generally if you are young and in a good state of health, moderate air pollution levels are unlikely to have any serious short term effects. However, elevated levels and/or long term exposure to air pollution can lead to more serious symptoms and conditions affecting human health. This mainly affects the respiratory and inflammatory systems, but can also lead to more serious conditions such as heart disease and cancer.

Beijin g’s intense pollution – a noxious soup that on its worst days obscures buildings just a few blocks apart – sparks road closings, flight cancellations and delays, and spikes in visits to hospital emergency rooms.

Workdays are lost because of employee health woes; illnesses are triggered and worsened by the fine particulate matter in the air, so tiny it can permeate organs and enter the bloodstream, contributing to heart attacks, bronchitis, asthma and other chronic diseases.

…Beijing also bears the brunt of pollution from factories in distant provinces, as winds pick up emissions and deposit them in the Beijing basin, where temperature inversions may keep them trapped for days.

The health effects caused by air pollutants may range from subtle biochemical and physiological changes to difficulty breathing, wheezing, coughing and aggravation of existing respiratory and cardiac conditions. These effects can result in increased medication use, increased doctor or emergency room visits, more hospital admissions and even premature death.

Ambient air pollution: health hazards to children.

Ambient (outdoor) air pollution is now recognized as an important problem, both nationally and worldwide. Our scientific understanding of the spectrum of health effects of air pollution has increased, and numerous studies are finding important health effects from air pollution at levels once considered safe. Children and infants are among the most susceptible to many of the air pollutants. In addition to associations between air pollution and respiratory symptoms, asthma exacerbations, and asthma hospitalizations, recent studies have found links between air pollution and preterm birth, infant mortality, deficits in lung growth, and possibly, development of asthma.

...........cont';d....................

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

...............cont'd from above....................

Epidemiological Basis for Particulate Air Pollution Health Standards

particulate air pollution, especially fine combustion-source pollution common to many urban and industrial environments, is an important risk factor for cardiopulmonary disease and mortality. Most of the epidemiological effort has focused on effects of acute exposure, but effects of chronic exposure may be more important in terms of overall public health relevance. Some reviewers contend that long-term, repeated exposure likely increases the risk of chronic respiratory disease and the risk of cardiorespiratory mortality. There is more general (but still not unanimous) agreement that short-term exposures to particulate pollution can exacerbate existing cardiovascular and pulmonary disease and increase the number of persons in a population who become symptomatic, require medical attention, or die.

How can air pollution hurt my health?

Air pollution can affect our health in many ways with both short-term and long-term effects. Different groups of individuals are affected by air pollution in different ways. Some individuals are much more sensitive to pollutants than are others. Young children and elderly people often suffer more from the effects of air pollution. People with health problems such as asthma, heart and lung disease may also suffer more when the air is polluted. The extent to which an individual is harmed by air pollution usually depends on the total exposure to the damaging chemicals, i.e., the duration of exposure and the concentration of the chemicals must be taken into account.

Examples of short-term effects include irritation to the eyes, nose and throat, and upper respiratory infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia. Other symptoms can include headaches, nausea, and allergic reactions. Short-term air pollution can aggravate the medical conditions of individuals with asthma and emphysema. In the great "Smog Disaster" in London in 1952, four thousand people died in a few days due to the high concentrations of pollution.

Long-term health effects can include chronic respiratory disease, lung cancer, heart disease, and even damage to the brain, nerves, liver, or kidneys. Continual exposure to air pollution affects the lungs of growing children and may aggravate or complicate medical conditions in the elderly.

Comparative Study of Beijing, Seoul, Tokyo and Shanghai

Among various urban environmental issues, air pollution is a major challenge for many cities in East Asia. ….direct risks to human health.

In all of the four cities, despite the government's efforts against the degradation of air quality, the emission of air pollutants from mobile sources is one of the most urgent challenges. …the future prospects on the improvement of mobile air pollution in these cities is not optimistic.

Air pollution control is critically absent in mega-cities like Delhi and Shanghai. Riding a motorized rickshaw in India for example, or a bus in China often leaves the rider with polluted air to breathe. In Mexico City tourists find the same is true. In Tokyo there are street-side vending units for oxygen masks, but no street-air cleaning devices can be found.

How Air Pollution Can Damage the Heart

…air pollution continues to be an important public health problem.

Epidemiologic studies report associations between particulate air pollution and cardiopulmonary morbidity and mortality.

....as i said we only NEED 4%

Gotcha. And what's the rest of the mix we "NEED"? That won't kill us? ...any percentages on those parts?

edit on 23/12/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

thus we need an oxygen concentration far higher than our metabolic requirement - that is why humans require > 12% to have a hope of survival

Thanks for that. I was passing what I had been told once on, obviously in error. I have verified your statement.

I still do not see why oxygen machines are needed in cities, but then since I never go near them who knows. People breathe far too much anyway, by which I mean most people breathe about twice as much (fast) as me - I have been fascinated by this on buses and trains. Most odd.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join