It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obsidian Master-workers of the 8th millennium BC: (wait till you read about this found piece!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Researchers from the Institut Français d'Etudes Anatoliennes in Istanbul and the Laboratoire de Tribologie et de Dynamiques des Systèmes have analyzed the oldest obsidian bracelet ever identified, discovered in the 1990s at the site of Aşıklı Höyük, Turkey.

Digital reconstruction of the bracelet

Using high-tech methods developed by LTDS to study the bracelet's surface and its micro-topographic features, the researchers have revealed the astounding technical expertise of craftsmen in the eighth millennium BC. Their skills were highly sophisticated for this period in late prehistory, and on a par with today's polishing techniques. This work is published in the December 2011 issue of Journal of Archaeological Science, and sheds new light on Neolithic societies, which remain highly mysterious.

Dated to 7500 BC, the obsidian bracelet studied by the researchers is unique. It is the earliest evidence of obsidian working, which only reached its peak in the seventh and sixth millennia BC with the production of all kinds of ornamental objects, including mirrors and vessels. It has a complex shape and a remarkable central annular ridge, and is 10 cm in diameter and 3.3 cm wide. Discovered in 1995 at the exceptional site of Asıklı Höyük in Turkey and displayed ever since at the Aksaray Archeological Museum, the ring was studied in 2009,

The obsidian bracelet from Aşıklı Höyük. a. Shape and dimensions, b. Symmetry of the object

This process has revealed that the bracelet was made using highly specialized manufacturing techniques. The analyses carried out showed that the bracelet was almost perfectly regular. The symmetry of the central annular ridge is extremely precise, to the nearest degree and nearest hundred micrometers. This suggests that the artisans of the time used models to control its shape when it was being made. The surface finish of the bracelet (which is very regular, resembling a mirror) required the use of complex polishing techniques capable of obtaining a nanometer-scale surface quality worthy of today's telescope lenses.

Source: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...

Well, another story of spectacular feats done by people we consider primative by today standards. Same as the Giza pyramids..... the walls for the ALLEGED tombs are so cut and polished that we can't replicate to this day.

How did these people do such things and for what purpose? Did items like these have special purpooses or just plain old jewelery? Did the special people get these or anyone?

I found this official study done but you have to purchase it...:

Tribological analysis is employed in a pilot study of the technological steps involved in the manufacture of a polished obsidian bracelet from Aşıklı Höyük, an Aceramic Neolithic site in Central Anatolia (8300–7500 cal. B.C.). The study includes morphological analysis of the bracelet, based on profile measurements, and identifications of wear variations indicated by surface topographic features and parameters. The manufacturing skill that is revealed suggests early appearance of a regional tradition of obsidian working, which reached its full development in the 6th millennium cal. B.C. with the production of various ornamental objects, including mirrors and vessels. The cultural record and location of Aşıklı Höyük make the site important for our understanding of the technological developments during the early Neolithic in Anatolia.

Source: www.sciencedirect.com...

Well, I haven't a clue and I look forward to your responses, as always. It just seems to me that there is OVERWHELMING eveidence to cause us to Stop, re-evualate and change the history books. IMO.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
There is some more info and posts regarding this piece on another thread:Obsidian

Interesting piece. Wonder how they did it to such tolerances?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Thank you.

Now, how in the heck didn't that show up on the Search button? Because it is in Breaking Alt News? I don't know.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Not to demean Maxmars, but your OP does have more info posted.

Star and Flag!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Just one more brick in the wall for the demise of modern "history."As far as i can see, the historians have a huge gap to fill, and only speculation and deduction to fill it with as well as the clues they dig up.
Some of it has got to be wrong even if some is right......
The past may remain an inigma forever,but at least we shouldnt people it with our own hangups and thought patterns.
Darwin has been refuted scientifically, a steady state past is not our history.
Maybe there are records outside the earths sphere that well someday be privvy to, but not yet.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Education and most of the popular press is in a sorry state. The far past is presented as being populated by people incapable of doing little more than sticking animals with wood spears and picking wild plants. It would be nice if it was stressed that the people of many thousands of years ago were just the same as us. The bracelet shows they were using a few basic tools and materials in a set of skilled hands, intelligently controlled to produce something refined, beautiful and technically challenging. Same result as modern tools, just took longer.

The people haven't changed only the technology available has. Many people mistake the ability to use technology as proof of the superior intelligence of modern people as compared to the ancients who lacked our technology. My answer to those who espouse this idea is to ask them if they built all of the components that were used to make their computer or their car. It is one of my Hot Buttons. I would like to drop them off in the forest in a loincloth with a stone ax and good-by call of Good Luck.

There are so many items from the past like the bracelet that remind us what true craftsmanship is. Especially the bracelet as it is made of obsidian, an extremely brittle material. Are you aware that some surgeons are now using scalpels with obsidian blades since they are the thinnest and sharpest available. Mainly cosmetic surgeons doing facial work to minimize scaring.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
A lovely piece. I use to work with obsidian and could never get past something that remotely looked like a Clovis point. Superb craftsmanship

A few other comments:

Same as the Giza pyramids..... the walls for the ALLEGED tombs are so cut and polished that we can't replicate to this day

The tomb craftsmanship is easily surpassed by todays techniques. Why the fringe continues to make this claim is beyond me. It is quite easy to google the answer

It just seems to me that there is OVERWHELMING eveidence to cause us to Stop, re-evualate and change the history books. IMO.

There are more complex obsidian pieces than that already known to science. What history would you change exactly? Have you READ a history book written in the last three years? (a Western one) a number of other countries are rather 'rustic' still

Darwin has been refuted scientifically, a steady state past is not our history.

Well no that hasn't happen but you can take that to the creationist forum!

Education and most of the popular press is in a sorry state. The far past is presented as being populated by people incapable of doing little more than sticking animals with wood spears and picking wild plants.

In what curriculums are you seeing that position is presented? I would agree that the the press is rather poorly educated in such matters and AFAIK very little of ancient history is presently given in US class rooms
edit on 22/12/11 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The obsidian ring is the couplar for a flux capacitor and is used to contain the heat generated by re-routing plasma.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helixer
The obsidian ring is the couplar for a flux capacitor and is used to contain the heat generated by re-routing plasma.

Shows what you know dude; I bet a can of soup on it being a retaining ring for the support package of a tri-crystal regurgitator and parasite deboner

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Originally posted by Helixer

Shows what you know dude; I bet a can of soup on it being a retaining ring for the support package of a tri-crystal regurgitator and parasite deboner

Oops! My bad!

I overlooked those applications but you will need to suspend the ring in a toroidal waterjacket for the tri-crystal regurgitator.
edit on 23-12-2011 by Helixer because: sp

new topics

top topics

join