It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Karen Silkwood Story

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Thanks for this thread, so many people laugh and say there is no such thing as a conspiracy, this was a for sure one. Even though at the time some thought not.
50 pounds of plutonium, how many bombs could you make with that.

There are crooks all thru big biz and the government, for the most part it's all about money, only a fool would not realize this.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bisman
My theory is that she was purposely contaminating herself during the end there. so to martyr herself for the cause.

realistically, it wouldn't make much sense for the plant or the AEC to coverup the mishandling of dangerous material.... by poisoning someone with that very dangerous material. it would only prove and empower her cause.
The story was that she had accidentally contaminated herself while stealing from the company.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
First of all OP, have you been told you bare a striking resemblence to JFK?

Anyways, I believe Mel Gibson made a move about this a few years ago, "Edge of Darkness" I think it was called.... it was a good movie, and it basically followed the Silkwood story to a T.

In the movie I believe Mel's character (who played her father, investigating her mysterious death) finds that the food, and milk in her refigerator had been poisoned.

Eventually he tracks down the owners of the Chem company and gets them to admit that if she had gone public they would have lost a ton of money and been exposed to other countries like China for their cutting edge manipulation of radioactive material
edit on 23-12-2011 by WhiteDevil013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I am glad you enjoyed the article. Just another instance of the little guy going up against the corporate behemoth. Most of what Karen was trying to bring to the public came forward in the lawsuit filed by her parents. In the case of both stories, it shows how far regular human perseverance can go. Sometimes that perseverance can lead to good and other times bad. It is the luck of the draw I guess? Thanks for the interesting thread!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

History is littered with this BS. Murder. TPTB are cold blooded killers and I bet they're gonna get whats coming to them. Nature tends towards equilibrium and they have been on the dirty side of the equation for a long time.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
A rather water tight knocking off. About on par with the British Secret Services and Diana.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

Yeah I agree with you - Personally though I'm often pretty skeptical about most stuff but to say there's no such thing as a conspiracy ever is just flat out wrong really. Of course they happen, no doubt about it.

To say conspiracies don't exist is you admitting you haven't looked hard enough.

There are crooks all thru big biz and the government, for the most part it's all about money, only a fool would not realize this.

Ohh, I think the real crooks are to be found in the big businesses. By far more than in government really.. but that's just me. And yeah, it's all about the money unfortunately.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013
First of all OP, have you been told you bare a striking resemblence to JFK?

Anyways, I believe Mel Gibson made a move about this a few years ago, "Edge of Darkness" I think it was called.... it was a good movie, and it basically followed the Silkwood story to a T.

In the movie I believe Mel's character (who played her father, investigating her mysterious death) finds that the food, and milk in her refigerator had been poisoned.

Eventually he tracks down the owners of the Chem company and gets them to admit that if she had gone public they would have lost a ton of money and been exposed to other countries like China for their cutting edge manipulation of radioactive material
edit on 23-12-2011 by WhiteDevil013 because: (no reason given)

Do not get your information from movies. Movies only go by what people say and may or may not verify it. Remember the primary goal of film making is to show a compelling story and often times they use things that would not hold up in court. At some point movies become fantasy and melodrama.

en.wikipedia.org...

At one time (fairly recently actually) this was understood but in present times with the internet and t.v that has "reality shows" (notice the quote marks) i think people have lost the ability to accept that movies are just movies. Nice to watch but dont use them as a primary source.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
This interests me. I've read a few books about it, and of course, gave the movie a look, but never saw the actual accident scene. Thanks for the pics. It explains more to me what happened during the accident.

I can understand in her rush to get ready for work why she did it, but honestly, who would put the bologna they were going to eat on a toilet lid?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

I don't think she had copies or let other people see her dossier. From what I recall, she was very precious about them, keeping them close, and was afraid for other people to see the papers, much less have copies.
It was a body of work that she had collected over a period of time, and she couldn't be sure about where her co-workers stood in her case.

I don't think she had a college degree, but from what people have said during interviews, she was very bright, despite the fact she put her luncheon meat on the toilet lid.

edit on 24-12-2011 by TheCounselor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The issues for Karen Silkwood are very common in the world of Whistleblowers and Environmental Activism. Even today there is still very little real protection for Whistleblowers and in the times of the Kerr-McGee nuclear plant problems there was virtually no protection.

They tried to scare Silkwood into keeping quiet and stopping her quest to identify problems, and in this period of time the classifications on many issues kept lots of things quieted from the outside world. Take the issues of the DOE's EEOICPA legislation, where thousands of nuclear plant workers were not told of the serious internal exposure problems they experieced working inside nuclear production facilities. Classification issues generally meant these plants could not be inspected from outside regulators in these times, and they did everything they could get away with.

When the DOE's Rocky Flats, Co. plant fell and the US Govt's run on environmental cover up on plutonium releases became exposed, it came from a person similar to Silkwood that was doing a roofing job for the plant. They had access to the air release documentation, but the only way they could deal with the issues was take it to the FBI, which could not get into the plant. The FBI had to get a helicopter and fly over the plant's release stacks to get air samples of the releases, then get court orders to discover all the HEPA type air filters were knocked out in the filter rooms because they were all stopped up. This type stuff went on at all nuclear plants in that period and Kerr-McGee was more a private owned plant for nuclear fuel fabrication. Kerr, one of the plants owners, was a part of the Texas 8F gang from Houston, and they are going to make inroads into nuclear energy for diversity from just fossil fuels.

In the Karen Silkwood case they tried to scare her, in various ways, from the intentional contamination of her respirator to the intentional contamination of her lunchbox. They basically either wanted her to play ball with keeping quiet or quit. In the earlier periods of nuclear national security issues, the designs of Boris Pash would be aimed at killing people like Karen Silkwood and making it look like an accident. These methods were modified in the times of Karen Silkwood to less lethal methods.

In these times, they cooked up methods partly linked with drug methods related to CIA methods with '___'. Boris Pash and Sidney Gottlieg were both aware of the games of using '___' to make people extremely paranoid or appear off their rocker. '___' was used many times to have people basically jump out of windows to their death due to the extremes of paranoia. They even have a special name for that trick, which is the "Shell No Pest Strip", and uses a low temp wax mixed with '___' to do a time release with body temp similar to the insect killer thing called the Shell No Pest Strip. All the do is smear a little of the loaded wax on a person clothes and watch as they go crazy.

Another method the DuPont chemical company discovered that used common Freon-12 fed into an internal combusion engine and the effects of burning that chlorofluorocarbon with hydrocarbons made an anesthetic type gas that came out the exhaust pipe of a car injecting the F-12 into the fuel mixer system. This typically was designed to make the person fall asleep and run off the road into a pasture, but poor timing on Silkwood, she hit something too solid (Concrete Drain area) and it killed her. The effect works just like the anesthetic gas people get in an operating room, one second you are awake and the next you are out like a light. They likely didn't intend to kill her, as they wanted to snatch and grab her document collection.

Silkwood had a car load of documents that all disappeared, it appears at the time of the wreck. As I understand it she was headed to meet a Washington DC union person that was going to break the issues wide open. She had to goods on Kerr-McGee and it was enough to close down the plant and likely bankrupt the corporation in the longer term. All the nuclear plants know about these methods handed down from Boris Pash and the Sydney Gottlieb games with '___', and the Freon games too.

It has been a while since I have been up to speed on Silkwood, but seems like the story included that the person she was going to meet also ran off the road and woke up in a pasture sitting in his car, as the same game was played on him. They wanted to make sure these two didn't touch bases and hand off hard copy internal plant records.

One of the problems was that durning this period of time, the material accountabilty for several of these private operations was extremely bad and the looses were high. In the case for the NUMEC in Apollo, Pa. highly enriched uranium operations it is a certainty that their fissile materials ended up being stolen by Israel and this was highly confirmed to be the case because the isotopic signature of uranium in Israel exactly matched that for the Portsmouth Gasseous Diffusion plant in Ohio that supplied the Apollo, Pa. NUMEC system. Some highly suggest that Karen Silkwood stumbled upon a far bigger problem than just worker contamination, but one where poor material accountabilty and high material losses were used to conceal plutonium being smuggled into Israel out of Kerr-McGee.

For those that know the inner workings of these plants, there is no doubt Silkwood was targetted to snatch her documents and prevent the disclosure of the bad operations of the Kerr-McGee plant. It appears things went wrong due to her car hitting a hard object in place of running off the road into a pasture.

In the world of nuclear national security, things are highly corrupt.

edit on 24-12-2011 by MagnumOpus because: added content

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MagnumOpus

One of the problems was that durning this period of time, the material accountabilty for several of these private operations was extremely bad and the looses were high. In the case for the NUMEC in Apollo, Pa. highly enriched uranium operations it is a certainty that their fissile materials ended up being stolen by Israel and this was highly confirmed to be the case because the isotopic signature of uranium in Israel exactly matched that for the Portsmouth Gasseous Diffusion plant in Ohio that supplied the Apollo, Pa. NUMEC system. Some highly suggest that Karen Silkwood stumbled upon a far bigger problem than just worker contamination, but one where poor material accountabilty and high material losses were used to conceal plutonium being smuggled into Israel out of Kerr-McGee.

Well Well,

That certainly opens up some new doors !!

That means there may have been a "permindex" connection.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
i do remember this story - i was checking on kerr-mcgee - they sold out in 2006 for cash - 16.5 billion dollars - in cash - to anadarko petroleum - seems like they ceased to exist - all operations were moved to oklahoma except tronox - makes me wonder what 16.5 billion would look like in cash -

most of their u.s. operations were on land owned by the u.s. government, bureau of land management, national forest and the navajo indian tribe - with main offices located downtown denver - got places in mainland china too -
this is the corp that purchased kerr-mcgee:

Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: APC) is one of the world’s largest independent oil and gas exploration and production companies, with approximately 2.3 billion barrels of oil equivalent (BOE) of proved reserves and production of 206 million BOE as of December 31, 2008. Anadarko employs a worldwide workforce of about 4,000.[2] The company is headquartered in The Woodlands, SPD Montgomery County, Texas
en.wikipedia.org...

www.rogtecmagazine.com... - this is interesting - some kind of global alliance -

hey, they owned 25% of the oil well which supposedly exploded in the gulf of mexico - remember the BP oil spill?
business.financialpost.com... -

well it looks like anadarko is a subsidiary of BP -

Dai "Mike" Tran filed a lawsuit May 25 in Jefferson County District Court against BP and its subsidiaries, Transocean and its subsidiaries, Halliburton Energy Services, Cameron International Corp., Anadarko Petroleum Corp. and Moex Offshore.
www.setexasrecord.com...

edit on 25-12-2011 by musselwhite because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2011 by musselwhite because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2011 by musselwhite because: must be filled out - must be filled out - must be filled out - WHY?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Here is a little view of latest on Apollo and the Mossad Agent involvements:

=======

ww.sott.net...

A U.S.-based research institute will soon publish what it says is "indisputable" evidence that Israel stole weapons-grade uranium for its still-undeclared atomic weapons program from a nuclear reprocessing plant in western Pennsylvania.

The Institute for Research: Middle Eastern Policy (IRmep) will release this month a 300-page report detailing the initial findings of a multi-year research project investigating the disappearance of highly enriched uranium from the Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corporation (Numec) in Apollo, Pennsylvania in the 1950s and 1960s.

Grant Smith, the director of IRmep, told The Daily Star that the report would include a broad range of newly declassified and un-redacted government documents from various agencies - including the Department of Energy, Atomic Energy Commission, FBI and CIA - that prove that nuclear material was diverted from Numec to Israel.

----

Smith said that among the evidence to be included in the report is a DOE document confirming that uranium samples picked up by the CIA outside Israel's nuclear installation in Dimona bore the same isotopic signature as material produced by the Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant in the U.S. state of Ohio. The Portsmouth plant was a supplier for Numec.

Victor Gillinsky, who was a commissioner for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission from 1975 to 1984, said that evidence of a link between samples found at Dimona and nuclear material produced at Portsmouth, if reliable, would be "very significant."

"The [Portsmouth] plant was producing very highly enriched uranium, more highly enriched than the usual stuff produced anywhere in the U.S. or other countries because they were turning it out for Navy fuel. So if you found material of that high enrichment, I believe Portsmouth was the only place in the world that would be making it," Gillinsky told The Daily Star.

========

In terms of the Middle East, if any country there is required to not develop nuclear weapons, then it first and foremost needs to apply to Israel. No special exceptions for them, else the others want the same advantage.

Another write up suggests high Pu-239 looses from Kerr-McGee:

=====

www.rense.com...

1974, Nov. 13. Karen Silkwood (Feb 19, 1946 to November 13, 1974), killed in a hit an run accident, while she was on her way to deliver a brown manila folder containing information regarding about 8,000 lbs of missing Plutonium from the Cimmaron Plant of Kerr-McGee Corporation's Plutonium processing plant, near Oklahoma City, OK. Ref. #

======

Another summary tells more details for the Silkwood Whistleblowing:

digital.lib.lehigh.edu...

One of her most startling finds was that forty pounds of plutonium was missing from the plant, enough to build several atomic bombs. During this time, the union scientists had their meeting with Kerr-McGee employees and told everyone that plutonium, even in amounts too small to see, is cancerous.

======
edit on 25-12-2011 by MagnumOpus because: add content

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This is a VERY interesting story.

The CIA has an assassin manual, and it teaches how to kill people by running them off the road and making it look like an accident. Very interesting.... (63 Documents the Government doesn't want you to see, book)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Her remains should still be radioactive if they poison her, which was mention, in her story also any worker who died since then, traces would show up in the bones, Thanks for the story, a person like karen's story should never be forgotten, also lets tell the story of the pollution of the " Love Canel" inceident of the 60's -70's, i remember bad welding, stress cracks, the cooling pipes where the wrong size, the walls of the pipe where inch and one half, not three inches or more, as per specs. the PSI on those cooling pipes, was so great it show stress cracks on the weakes sections of the pipes, am sure those X-rays taken disappeared, remember, shoreham, in long island, NY, that was aother wake-up call,

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MagnumOpus

Thats a story for a other day, they say off the coast of south Africa, early 70's Nuke (test) blast out at sea, story play for one week then hush, hush, and then we knew who might also have the bomb, you can find out how many a middle eastern country has, the time lines are there, like bread crumbs, seek and you will the real story.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I am so glad you posted this story on karen silkwood, I do remember the movie with meryl streep and cher, we need to remeber people like karen. I, will watch the documentry that was posted.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Thanks for posting this. The Silkwood story was one of my first exposures to conspiracy theories as a child. My mom showed me the movie with Meryl Streep and it really made an impression on me. I have always been morbidly fascinated with her story! I am thankful her story did not die with her murder.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join