It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large metal ball dropped from the sky - scrap or....?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I'll bet that if we took that nambian "hollow?" metal ball and threw it off of the top of the empire state building,when it hit the cement,it would be very dented and perhaps even crushed and if we threw it off of the top of the same buliding and it hit dirt ground,the damage would still be severe and obvious...That nambian metal ball did not fall from orbit,no way...imo.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
reply to post by flexy123

But the circumference "lined designs" on this object appear to be a little too smooth,stream lined and detailed to be just a welded buoy,which doesnt really even look welded at all...

The russian helium tanks someone posted have an obviously raised belt shaped surface running around the center,this nambian object is smoothly joined...

Russian satellite tanks are welded by a different process then US tanks.

The Russians use stick welding and the US uses a automated machine gas shielded welding method like Mig or Tig welding that are not hand welded..

Welding methods and rod/filler metals types can be used to identify just about any welded idem and the country of origin.

Welding has been used to identify counterfeit US products made in china.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

if we threw it off of the top of the same buliding and it hit dirt ground,the damage would still be severe and obvious...

Titanium is VERY strong,,,

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

ZORG MAN...you still on? LOL! Thats good. I am used to band time and am always up late....but I only need a few hours sleep anyways. Titanium is strong. But I forget the melting point of it...do you know off hand?
Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
What's the terminal velocity of any object in freefall,is it 120 MPH or is that just a parachutist showing the maximum surface area for increased air resistance?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by zorgon

ZORG MAN...you still on? LOL! Thats good. I am used to band time and am always up late....but I only need a few hours sleep anyways. Titanium is strong. But I forget the melting point of it...do you know off hand?
Split Infinity

The melting point of titanium is 3000 °F and it is a light metal.

As a thin ball and spinning the heat of reentry would be spread and it would not get a hot as a object only heating on one side.

The small burnt metal areas that look like something was melted off with a torch on opposite sides where likely steel fitting that because of there shape and the airflow around them melted them. This would also have caused the ball to spin even more
Steel melts at 2500°F a good 500º lower then titanium.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Ah...you got what I was aiming for! This thing is space junk!
Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Imagewerx

Once through the high speed high altitude burn, (this tank could have been contained in something that finally burt enough to eject the ball tank), and its quite light, hollow, terminal velocity of impact can be from 120 to 220 mph, more dense and streamlined object can reach about 240 mph. Im guessing this hollow object was whirled around in the thick atmosphere and slowed to the lower end of terminal velocity of a free fall. It could have hit the ground around 120 mph.

Don't quote me though, I'm recalling speed I read about the UARS satellite and meteor impacts, much slower than what is first pedestrianly assumed. Not many things that impact would be denser than an iron core meteor.

Average terminal velocity of a skydiver pulling some resistance is about 135 mph, can slow to around 120 mph, a dive can't really exceed 170 mph. A typical raindrop falls about 17 mph.
edit on 25-12-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

If its space junk,then its space junk that was somehow able to defy all logic,reason and scientific fact when it re-entered the earths atmosphere and was able to magically endure the burning hot temperatures that results from re-entry that are around 3,000 degrees fahrenheit It was magically able to free fall from Low Earth Orbit,which is anywhere between 100 miles to 1,200 miles high without a scorched surface and hit the ground without causing any dents...How?

edit on 25-12-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

If its space junk,then its space junk that was somehow able to defy all logic,reason and scientific fact when it re-entered the earths atmosphere and was able to magically endure the burning hot temperatures that results from re-entry,free fall for eighty miles without scorching its surface and hit the ground without causing any dents...How?

It was most likely encased in another piece of equipment. Being that it is Titanium and steel at the melted edges....upon re-entry...it's outer housing burned away and seperated from it. After the initial entry into earths atmosphere...only the steel cuplings melted as Titanium has a much higher melting point.

A very light hollow ball of this size made out of Titanium would hit the ground like a plastic wiffle ball.
Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
"An object falling toward the surface of the Earth will fall 9.81 meters (or 32.18 feet) per second faster every second (an acceleration of 9.81 m/s² or 32.18 ft/s²). The reason an object reaches a terminal velocity is that the drag force resisting motion is approximately proportional to the square of its speed. At low speeds, the drag is much less than the gravitational force and so the object accelerates. As it accelerates, the drag increases, until it equals the weight. Drag also depends on the projected area. This is why objects with a large projected area relative to mass, such as parachutes, have a lower terminal velocity than objects with a small projected area relative to mass, such as bullets" > en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

I'll bet that if we took that nambian "hollow?" metal ball and threw it off of the top of the empire state building,when it hit the cement,it would be very dented and perhaps even crushed and if we threw it off of the top of the same buliding and it hit dirt ground,the damage would still be severe and obvious...That nambian metal ball did not fall from orbit,no way...imo.

Do you also believe in the myth that if a penny was dropped from the top of the empire state building, it would hit with enough force to kill someone?

As zorgon pointed out, the tank was made from titanium, which is a very strong material. Now, if we take meteorites as an example, the stony types are generally much more fragile than even something made of steel (let alone titanium) could be, yet they don't completely shatter when they hit the ground, and we're not talking about hitting solid concrete here.

As others (including myself) have pointed out, the tank would only have hit at a few 100 km/h. That's not really that fast, and it's certainly very possible that an object like this would survive very much intact.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I would'nt want to find out about a high falling penny landing on my head,its resultant damage is arguable,depending on wind speeds and angle of impact,but it certainly would'nt feel good...

I have seen a few suicide photos,people that had flung themselves from the observation decks of sky scrapers and landed upon metal car roofs.Those roofs were severely dented and crushed inwards into the shape of the person that landed on them...

I'll choose not to post them,but i saw one of a woman back in the 1940's,whos body was impressed about a foot of more into the all metal roof of the car she happened to land squarely upon,with her white gloves still clenched in her hands...

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
A very light hollow ball of this size made out of Titanium would hit the ground like a plastic wiffle ball.
Split Infinity

Which is why we are seeing these 'balls' all over the world
They are good survivors. Anyone who has ever tried working with Titanium can tell you how tough that stuff is.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

A car roof is very thin. Simply standing on one will leave it dented. Dropping a 200lb body on one will dent it. Drop that same body onto sand ... no crater

Your desperation to show every thing as being UFO/Alien related is silly. More and more on ATS people are grasping at straws. One recent thread made a mystery out of a video where the title even explained what it was (in Norwegian). But its at two pages with people guessing what it is.

:shk:

space debris, rocket launches and spacecraft reentries are NOT UFO's People need to learn the difference or it just makes a mockery out of the whole business.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Is it fair and accurate to compare plastic and titanium? Plastic is lighter than air,titaniums not.A hollow sphere made out of titanium would,if it reached terminal velocity,strike the ground at around 120mph and theres going to be some kind of obvious damage.a hollow plastic sphere would fall at an entirely different rate of descent...

"Higher speeds can be attained if the skydiver pulls in his or her limbs (see also freeflying). In this case, the terminal velocity increases to about 320 km/h (200 mph or 90 m/s),which is almost the terminal velocity of the Peregrine Falcon diving down on its prey.The same terminal velocity is reached for a typical .30-06 bullet dropping downwards,when it is returning to earth having been fired upwards,or dropped from a tower,according to a 1920 U.S. Army Ordnance study" > en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Just got this story on my Pulse feed from my phone. This actually seems to be the case of what it is, not alien just something from a space shuttle

After some post-crash forensics, the two objects in 2008 were identified the as a Composite Overwrapped Pressure Vessel (or COPV), which were carried on the space shuttles, and are a high pressure container for inert gases. COPVs have been used for a variety of space missions. They are built with a carbon fiber or Kevlar overcoat to provide reinforcement against the vast pressure gradient between the inside and outside of the container, and so can survive re-entry through Earth’s atmosphere.

Here is the story.

Here is an image of them before they get burned up.

edit on 12/25/1111 by GR1ill3d because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/25/1111 by GR1ill3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I have been surprised by the many different takes on this object.

While some think it came from a space ship of some sorts, there is of course no discussion from that point forth as to why alien space ships would do so.

While many can think what they want, I am going to offer some discussion on this since alien space ships are on the main agenda, I want to offer something more down to earth and perhaps more plausible than some UFO metal thing that crashed to earth as a result of aliens dumping their trash.

For many years, the USA, China and even Russia have pursued various types of objects as part of space weapons development in the offensive categories that could destroy satellites in orbit while disguised as smaller pieces of space debris.

Such a metal and round object traveling through space at high speeds would of course cause damage to such satellites and also give the nation causing such damage the plausible deniability of claiming such metal balls are space debris, or space junk that just happened to hit the satellite. We so sorry.

Add in some limited remote control aspects or magnetic properties and such metal balls could be a form of early prototype space weapon.

To assume that it came from some alien space craft is a leap too far considering how metal balls of such size and composition could very well be evidence of the early development of space weapons, unique in size and shape for use against space based orbiting objects.

The ability to control such balls in space is what would give such a weapon a viable plausible deniable use and at the same time, it would be eliminating the enemies satellites needed for GPS, Military and scientific uses.

This and other mysterious metal balls that have been reported as found around the world could prove to us, that such balls eventually fall to earth and when discovered, based on design and shape, will offer no one any real concern as being anything by perhaps something that fell from a jet airliner or the most widely used excuse of space debris or better yet space junk.

Research some space based weapons and such metal balls take on a different reason for falling to earth as the mysterious balls that they are, because their usage is limited and will eventually suffer an orbital decay that brings it down to earth.

Since there are no markings on the ball, this also makes me think of ensuring no one knows the originating source so as to claim its not one of ours.

Thanks for the thread, but to me this is possible proof that the government boys have been playing in space and these balls could be proof of space based weapons development by one of the many nations mention earlier.

Oh well, we will I am certain be kept guessing on this one, because of course no one will admit to a space based weapons development.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

Thanks for the thread, but to me this is possible proof that the government boys have been playing in space and these balls could be proof of space based weapons development by one of the many nations mention earlier.

Or the more simple explanation that its just space junk, which is what it more then likely is as pointed out in my post above.

Gotta not look to far into things.. You might not make it out!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
swampgas ha ha

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join