It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jacob Zuma blames Christianity for breakdown of South African traditions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Jacob Zuma blames Christianity for breakdown of South African traditions

www.guardian.co.uk

Zuma said Christianity – introduced by European missionaries mainly in the 19th century – had destroyed the safety net for orphans, elderly people and the poor

"As Africans, long before the arrival of religion and [the] gospel, we had our own ways of doing things.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.timeslive.co.za

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
From a man who was ordained as a priest of The Full Gospel Church. From the man who said if he takes a shower, after (unsafe) sex, it will greatly reduce the risk of him contracting HIV.

I know the press will have a field day with this, but the man should be careful what and how he says things. Didn't think it through properly.. again, Zuma?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12/22/2011 by qonone because: spelling

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by qonone

This thread made me think of the famous quote by Bishop Desmond Tutu,

"When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said, 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.”

Everything you posted on your thread is so true.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I can relate. Christianity ruined my people, the Hotinonshonni (People of the Long House). Today the predominant language spoken here is English. The predominant religion is Catholicism. We have three bars here and they do a booming business on the weekends. We still have our culture, but only a few follow it. Staying sober and following the old ways, not too many people want to do that.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished
This thread made me think of the famous quote by Bishop Desmond Tutu,

"When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said, 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.”

Funny and sad

I believe Zuma did not mean it "exactly" as it sounds, but once a douchebag..

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
For once Zuma is correct.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I bet people will use this to justify persecution of Christians, and like normal western media will look the other way.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I wonder if the real objection isn't to the introduction of Christianity, but rather the coming of the outside world. I would think Buddhists, Muslims, or Atheists would have changed traditional African society. I think, dear African leaders, that you just have to reconcile yourselves to change.

The only way to keep your ways is to not let anyone see other's ways. That would have eventually meant keeping out modern medicines, schools, electricity, relief aid, and other beneficial things.

I can understand grieving over "The Good Old Days," but it was going to happen sooner or later. There's no sense trying to stick blame on a religion.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
And in the end, the huge majority of the people of South Africa will still be Christians.

Just pointless nonsense cheap talk...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
I bet people will use this to justify persecution of Christians, and like normal western media will look the other way.

Has that persecution not been earned? I call myself a "former Christian" for a reason. Given the history of the Church(es), and the bastardization of what could (or, possibly could not) be Christs story, I felt spiritually unclean.

Christians seem to be trying to emulate the Jewish history by embracing the persecutory delusions. Thing is, Jewish people actually HAVE been treated horribly. Often by the Christians themselves ("Jesus killers!!!"). Christianity has ruled the world (often with an iron fist).

I honestly don't see this persecution that I so often hear about. Matter of fact, unless I am online playing the role of Bigfatfurrytexan, I have to "act" Christian or risk persecution myself. So much so that during things like Rotary meetings, I awkwardly stumble my way through when asked to lead the prayer/pledge for the group. THAT is persecution.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I think Christianity is only about controlling people. The sooner people abolish Christianity, the better. I don't think Christianity respects the individual, nor advocate freedom. I'm not saying that we should live like in the old days, but perhaps practice a spiritualist belief while being a modern human. Africa needs to rediscover their roots. They are in many way the richest people on this planet. Religion has only driven them into poverty.

When I left God and went to paganism, meditation and spirituality I realized a lot of stuff about life. I think other people should make this journey too.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Persecution of Christians? Please, what about the persecution of others by Christians? How many African kids have had acid poured down their throats?

African Children Denounced As "Witches" By Christian Pastors

EKET, Nigeria — The nine-year-old boy lay on a bloodstained hospital sheet crawling with ants, staring blindly at the wall. His family pastor had accused him of being a witch, and his father then tried to force acid down his throat as an exorcism. It spilled as he struggled, burning away his face and eyes. The emaciated boy barely had strength left to whisper the name of the church that had denounced him – Mount Zion Lighthouse. A month later, he died. Nwanaokwo Edet was one of an increasing number of children in Africa accused of witchcraft by pastors and then tortured or killed, often by family members. Pastors were involved in half of 200 cases of "witch children" reviewed by the AP, and 13 churches were named in the case files. Some of the churches involved are renegade local branches of international franchises. Their parishioners take literally the Biblical exhortation, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." "It is an outrage what they are allowing to take place in the name of Christianity," said Gary Foxcroft, head of nonprofit Stepping Stones Nigeria.
source

This is no by any means an isolated incident either, friend. When I input the words, "Christian pastors torturing African kids" in the search engine, I got 11,263 hits. Try it yourself, and see for yourself. Tell me I am wrong here.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Funny, substitute Jew for Christian and this thread is shut down.
Try it.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I believe in everyone's right to believe as they choose. But the unspeakable horrors that have been wrought in the name of Christ by those who truly believed they were acting on behalf of god, if written down, could fill the library of congress several times over.

I don't recall any other religion in history persecuting the world as a whole more than christianity has. Let's face it. If the modern protestant church ruled the world, we would all be under an iron fisted, totalitarian regime with the bible as the only rule of law.

And the new inquisition would begin in earnest.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SurrealisticPillow
Funny, substitute Jew for Christian and this thread is shut down.
Try it.

That isn't a fair assessment though. Jew is a race. Not a religion. So yes, the thread would be shut down. But substitute Judaism for Christian, and your within the T&C.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Jew is NOT a race, friend.
A follower of Judaism is a Jew.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I'm sure it probably has... as it did to the native traditions in the Americas, but I don't think that's really 'news'.

FWIW I blame the rise of materialist atheism for the moral collapse we're witnessing in western societies today, and see that as far more damaging.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Persecution of Christians? Really?

Last time I checked, Christians were persecuting the rest of Humanity by influencing every government and making laws restricting the rights of everyone else to fit their doctrine!

I accept that there are some places where Christians are persecuted, and that is sad. But, at the same time, religious arrogance and attempting to manipulate the masses through government deserves a response.

Try to tell me how to live my life or that I'm a lesser person than you are and therefore deserve fewer freedoms and I don't care what religion you are, I'll fight back.

Zuma is right on this one.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by KlassifiedI don't recall any other religion in history persecuting the world as a whole more than christianity has.

Try Communism.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by chocise
I'm sure it probably has... as it did to the native traditions in the Americas, but I don't think that's really 'news'.

FWIW I blame the rise of materialist atheism for the moral collapse we're witnessing in western societies today, and see that as far more damaging.

The collapse of what morals? Christian ones? The irony ...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join