It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

County Sheriff Faces Down Feds Over Raw Milk

page: 1

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Tired of seeing a local farmer harassed by federal food and health inspectors, Elkhart County Sheriff Brad Rogers drew a line in the sand and threatened to arrest the investigators if they approached David Hochstetler and Forest Grove Farms, where Hochstetler provides raw milk to his happy, healthy and informed customers.

David Hochstetler doesn’t want to be in the limelight.

“I’d rather just be left alone,” he said.

As a producer of raw milk, though, Hochstetler — operator of Forest Grove Dairy south of Middlebury — finds himself at the center of controversy. He’s faced repeated inspections by federal regulators, apparently, and his situation prompted Elkhart County Sheriff Brad Rogers to intervene, advising the feds to watch their step or face arrest by his department.

“With Mr. Hochstetler, he’s had harassment and ongoing visits that were unreasonable,” said Rogers, who told federal officials in a Dec. 2 email that they would need warrants before conducting any more inspections of the man’s farm. “I just told them they were no longer welcome unless they had a warrant.”

While this may, on its face, appear to be another in a long line of disputes over the safety of un-pasteurized milk, it has deeper implications related to federal intrusion into matters of individual choice and freedom to manage your farm and business.

For Rogers, a Republican with ties to the Elkhart County tea party movement, it’s not about the pros or cons of raw milk, necessarily. It’s about the federal government trampling on individual rights, something he sees happening in the Hochstetler case.

FDA officials have asked repeatedly to inspect Hochstetler’s farm, Rogers said. The farmer initially acquiesced, but finally grew tired of the repeated inspections and started prohibiting inspectors’ entry. Ultimately, Ross, the Justice Department attorney, subpoenaed Hochstetler, ordering him to appear before a grand jury, and Hochstetler turned to the sheriff for assistance.

“To me it’s not about raw milk. It’s about upholding my oath of office and being a guardian of the Constitution,” said Rogers. The repeated inspections and inspection requests, as he saw it, amounted to “harassment from federal agencies.”

As such, he fired off the email to Goldstein, threatening the arrest federal agents if they try to inspect Hochstetler’s operation without a warrant.

“This is notice that any further attempts to inspect this farm without a warrant signed by a judge, based on probable cause, will result in federal inspectors’ removal or arrest for trespassing by my officers or I,” it reads in part.

Subpoena withdrawn

In an interview at his office, Rogers said the feds are limited in what they can do by provisions in the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights. He alluded to the Fourth Amendment, which guards against unreasonable searches and seizures, and the 10th Amendment, which grants states powers not reserved for the federal government.

“The arrogance of thinking federal law trumps everything flies in the face of the 10th Amendment,” Rogers said. “If we think the federal government trumps everything, we’re destined for big trouble in the freedoms here in our country.”

Framed in the context of the "local food" debate this seems to be little more than a territorial dispute. But in the larger context, ot marls another notch against federal ignorance of the Constitution and 10th amendment.

The feds say "it's an open case" and that they may resume their "enforcement" actions, which may include arresting both the farmer and the sheriff as well.

It wasn't that long ago that we saw this turn into a "federal case" in California, that ended with arrests and charges filed.

Multi-agency armed raid hits Rawesome Foods, Healthy Family Farms for selling raw milk and cheese
What objections should the feds have to a willing seller and a willing buyer under no compulsion to buy or sell, for a product of which both sides are equally informed?

What I just recited is the definition of a fair market transaction. Are they opposed?

If I grow toamtoes in my backyard, and my neighbor wants to pay me for my trouble for a couple pounds of them, why should their fears, insecurity and delusions affect our exchange?

deny ignorance

jw

edit on 22-12-2011 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
You can email Sheriff Rogers and give him a thumbs up!! I would like to encourage everyone to let him know what a wonderful and incredible thing he has don to help David Hochstetler and Forest Grove Farms!!!!

brogers@elkhartcountysheriff.com

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DJDigitalGem

Thanls, I have friends in Elkhart and Elkhart County.

It is a bery conservative and independent part of Indiana. I even think Obama went there for the re-opening of a RV plant. It is the "RV Capital of the World" and the "Band Instrument Capital of the World."

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Hey, I live in Indiana i was wondering if you could post a link to this story. i would like to distribute it to my friends and family. Thank you!

finally found it. keep up the good work!

edit on 22-12-2011 by Shillbillyjim because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Shillbillyjim

I am so sorry to have failed to add the link.

Go here:
Elkhart County sheriff intervenes against feds in raw milk case

Apologies.

jw

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hell yeah.

Sheriffs are the highest law of the land... and if the FEDs don't like it, they gonna get ARRESTED.

Way to go Sheriff!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJDigitalGem
You can email Sheriff Rogers and give him a thumbs up!! I would like to encourage everyone to let him know what a wonderful and incredible thing he has don to help David Hochstetler and Forest Grove Farms!!!!

brogers@elkhartcountysheriff.com

I've asked the Sheriff for his input.

Sheriff Rogers, I have been a states-rights advocate all my adult life. My parents and grandparents had farms in Texas and Nebraska, so I've always been used to producing my own food and products as well.
I read with great interest the story of your confrontation with federal inspectors/investigators over David Hochstetler's operations.
I was so impressed by the combination of issues presented, states' rights and individual freedoms, that I posted a blog about it (and a similar event in California) that has generated considerable interest.

This is the link to the blog if you are interested in what has been discussed:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I would be very interested in your input on what has transpired since then and what you expect to be the outcome, if you would like to share those with me.

Thank you for your good work. I am proud to be a Texan and just as proud to be a resident in a State where people take their freedom so seriously.
Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for yours.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

I think it is odd that the Feds are so concerned these days- considering that any farmer that puts milk into the truck that picks up milk and that milk is contaminated, that farmer must pay for the whole load of milk: a strong incentive to maintain clean practices.

Also... I am led to believe that Lactaid is the enzymes that pasturization kills... Hmmmmmm...

I DO know that I can eat raw cheese with no problems, but pasturize it and My rheumatological condition is highly aggravated; My joints ache intensely.

VIVA the Sheriff! (And raw dairy!!!)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
LMAO!!! I'll pass on emailing the Sheriff. Great story. Who know's what kind of tracking they have from THAT email thread. I'm sure I'm just being parnaoid, but with the way the government looks at "opposition" at any level, best to stay off projected trouble makers lists. Even if it's in support of the Sheriff.

I'll shake his hand when I meet him.

Lord knows with ATS being owned and operated by the CIA we're on enough "operative" lists.

Oh I forgot, we're still allowed to speak our opinions without repercussion.

That freedom of speach thing we preach around the world?
We still have it right? No one can just arrest us, and hold us indefinatly based on a hunch, right?

I understand the government is trying protect raw milk drinkers. The sheriff is making sure the farmers constutional rights aren't being violated. NICE

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Can't the guy just slap a warning label on the raw milk? Hell it works for cigarettes and booze.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
reply to post by jdub297

I think it is odd that the Feds are so concerned these days- considering that any farmer that puts milk into the truck that picks up milk and that milk is contaminated, that farmer must pay for the whole load of milk: a strong incentive to maintain clean practices.

Also... I am led to believe that Lactaid is the enzymes that pasturization kills... Hmmmmmm...

I DO know that I can eat raw cheese with no problems, but pasturize it and My rheumatological condition is highly aggravated; My joints ache intensely.

VIVA the Sheriff! (And raw dairy!!!)

I think most people agree that over-consumption of over-processed foods causes many of our modern health problems.

We should recall that nothing was pasteurized prior to the 20th century, and that some of the best still are not.

I would much rather grow my own or buy from someone I know than what comes from some mega-Monsanto-farm operation employing hundreds of illegal aliens.

Federal food regulation may serve some usefyl purposes for the mass-produced producrs, but they should stay out of the small farms and "truck farmers" who eat what they produce and sell the rest locally.

This is absurdity.

jw

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

Lord knows with ATS being owned and operated by the CIA we're on enough "operative" lists.

Oh I forgot, we're still allowed to speak our opinions without repercussion.

Not to be paranoid, but do you ever notice how some "members" disappear for a little bit, then come back and their posts are different than before? I have definitely seen this, and called a couple out. They disappeared again.

Some never come back.

Just sayin'.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Can't the guy just slap a warning label on the raw milk? Hell it works for cigarettes and booze.

He could put pictures of bacteria and flies on his bottles, too.

The idea of warnings strikes me as a little odd.

When a person turns off the paved road onto a dirt driveway, and stop at a barn, do they not know that this might not be the Kroger or Model Market?

Just askin'.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

I emailed the Sheriff. I have no fear of what the agents of fictional entities have, since they are all committing a real crime in claiming to represent a fictional entity, as such cannot provide 1st person testimony as to that fact. However, I do believe the Sheriffs, more than any other group besides some members of the military, are doing their best to do a lawful duty, for the most part obtaining redress for wrongs. The military are more misguided, as they believe in the legitimacy of the concept of limited liability, though they do not know it by that name, generally.

But, as criminals, other men and women seek power over their fellow man, seek advantage, seek control or maybe just allegiance. We owe them no such thing. In fact, when humanity fully awakens, they will walk among us as pariahs or be forgiven by us, according to the choice they make about their pride, whether they can swallow it or not. I think they should be happy with retirement to a large sequestered estate with farm equipment in which the only other inhabitants are their own families. They should be allowed to interbreed as they have been doing since civilization began, and congratulate each other on their good fortune at being allowed to live.

I believe that is what we should do for each of the world elite. Exile them. It's humane, and the only labor they will have to do is that to keep their machinery working, for as long as they want to eat. The rest of the world will begin a volunteering lifestyle that will amaze us as we see a new social contract begin to unfold. One by consent and without the corporations. Sure, there can be other social contracts, where people choose to live irresponsibly (in limited liability) and continue their prison-system of mediocrity. The point is we get to choose. unplug from the hive mind.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

That had me in stitches!

This drive by the FDA to try and label good, natural foods as "unsafe" is to create a market for their "safe" foods, which Monsanto and the likes will happily develop.

More people will buy frankenfoods if there is a shortage of real food.

I'm going to email the sherrif. Some overseas support is deserved for this too!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
Go here:
Elkhart County sheriff intervenes against feds in raw milk case

A comment from that article sums up how I feel better than I can word it myself:

This hasn't got anything to do with raw milk. This has to do with a local official that understands his roll in protecting people. These FDA thugs are authoritarian arm of giant corporations. The FDA is not an independent agency to protect you from anything. They are a corporate controlled group who's job is to regulate all competition out of business.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

More people will buy frankenfoods if there is a shortage of real food.

That's it!

Keep us hooked on the Del Monte and Monsanto monstrosities, which depend upon processing, mass-production and constant inspections to "protect" us from the damage they do to once-natural foods.

The only reason there is such a demand for regs and inspections is becuae of the un-supervisable monsters of the AG industry who care more about quantity than quality.

Kudos!

jw

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
It's one thing to stand up to the FDA.

I wonder though. If a certain herb would be legalized for medicinal use in that state, would he still be backing state's rights? Or would he, like so many before him, cower to the DEA?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

We may see soon; reports of the new legislature say that several Republicans will call for a reform of parts of the Indiana Code that may help the ill as well as the healthy.

new topics

top topics

join