It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I say "Thank You" to the clerk or cashier?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I went with a friend to the store earlier, and walked up to the counter to pay for what I was buying. After everything was finished, I said "Thank You". I have always done this, although I also may say, "Thanks", and if the cashier/clerk says "Have a good day", I'll say "You to" back to him/her.

But, the friend I was with earlier asked me, "Why do you say thanks?"

I wasnt really sure what to say for a second. What I ended up saying was, "I guess it's just a nice thing to say."
After awhile, I started thinking about it. Why do I say "Thanks" after buying something? My conclusion pretty much came to...it's just polite.

Literally, that simple...it's polite. I have heard and thought about the saying "Thanks" can brighten up someone elses day if they are having a bad one, but what if they are not having a bad day? I dont know, maybe its just something I caught on to when I was younger and always have said it from then on.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This is really funny you mentioned this. I went to Arby's for lunch and I paid way to much for a sandwich. After she gave me my change I said "thanks". Then I thought to myself, why am I saying "thanks"? I didn't get anything from her yet (I had to wait a few mins for my food). I was literally saying thanks for giving her a twenty and getting 11 dollars back. I found it comical.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
It's being polite, you're thanking them for serving you.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Essentially you are just thanking them for taking your money, or maybe giving you a smile. . .

It's Polite, for sure. A small bit of nice.

It's not hard to say Thanks either, and if it makes a persons day, I say why not.

If they have been rude or grumpy or some such thing, I believe all bets are off.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

Actually the person that helped me today was kinda rude, I think I said it just to finalize the transaction. Here's your money, thanks, moving on..... here's your food, thanks, drive away....

It does come down to just being nice tho.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Customer servants do need a thank you. Appreciate there service, because without them you'd be doing it yourself.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

After she gave me my change I said "thanks". Then I thought to myself, why am I saying "thanks"? I didn't get anything from her yet (I had to wait a few mins for my food). I was literally saying thanks for giving her a twenty and getting 11 dollars back.

I was buying something trivial in my OP (only a few bucks,same thing as a burger from fast food), and I still said thanks. Ive asked myself the same question in my head before, but hearing it from someone else (my friend who was with me) is different to me it seems.

Plus, im paying for something. There's a part of me that is asking myself...."Why do I say thanks for something I am paying for with my own money?" I tell that side of myself.."They are there offering that service." It makes sense to me.

Also on Arbys (and almost all fast food), I say thanks after they ring up my order on the drive thru intercom after they say pull up to window 1 , 2, ect....

Arbys has the best roast beef sandwiches and curly fries by the way

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
When I worked as a cashier not everyone would say thank you but I wasn't offended if they didn't. On the other hand I made sure to say thank you to everyone who came through my line. Once I didn't say it loud enough or the man was hard of hearing and didn't hear me say thank you.. and he got angry and said "And?" so I reply "Uh, have a nice day?" He said again "And?" so I tell him I'm not sure what he's getting at.

He got SUPER ANGRY and shouted at me "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SAY THANK YOU!" I was shocked and said, oh I'm sorry you must not have heard me!

Long story short he was furious and reported to my supervisor demanding I be fired. I hated that job sometimes.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Thanks OP,

(space-holder for second line)

I come from the country, and everybody says thanks, yes ma'am, etc.

Star and flag for niceties,

that will be the first thing that goes if tShtF..

Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. - Plato

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." - Sirius Black

And one more for fun..

"Personally I dont think theres intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?" Bob Monkhouse

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I couldn't tell you why you say thanks, but i will tell you why i say thanks.

When i give someone my money for an item, they are providing a service. The cashier works for a shop that purchases items in bulk and stores them for when myself, or others, needs them. Sure they make a profit off of this, but they are still offering a service and deserve my thanks.

Imagine if they were not there, and there was not another shop available to provide the service of having needed items available for individual purchase? How hard would it be to make your own item instead?

Just because someone makes a profit, does not mean they do not deserve thanks for the services they offer.

DC

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Because it is plain good manners.
If you get good service you thank the cashier for helping you, they are people after all

Too often do I see arrogant people who won't bother to get off their phones while the cashiers trying to tell them the balance or ask which account they would like to use. Who throw the money at the cashier or don't hand the money/card but place it on the counter when the cashiers holding out their hand, who blame the cashier for perceived grievances with the store (which are often far beyond the control of the cashier), or are just plain rude...imagine having to deal with people like that throughout the day.

On the other hand I have had bad experiences with cashiers who don't say thanks when I pass them my money or just hand me the receipt without any acknowledgement whatsoever.

I just treat people how I would like to be treated and if I get truly bad service then I notify management.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I think its better to spread a little kindness when possible than to ignore it.

Maybe you need help finding a part for your computer, some employees will tell you "oh isle 5".. others will walk you there and find it with/for you.. these guys go out of their way and sometimes don't get a word of thanks for it.

Side note: sometimes I hold the door open for someone- most people say thanks but others just walk by, pretending to not see me... this really pisses me off.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
You say "Thank You" because obviously someone took the time to instill manners in you. You were taught to treat others with dignity and respect. Don't question yourself for being a decent human being. Even when others fail to recognize it or no response is given. It's the little things that add up to big things.

for well mannered peeps!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I worked in Food Service in the past...

It was an excellent experience!

I learned a lot from it.

One thing that annoyed me about working with people was them "ordering" me to do stuff.

Look dont get me wrong... I didnt mind someone coming in and being strait to the point.

It never bothered me that someone didnt say thanks to me...

But the people who came in and looked at me like I was their servant and commanded me to bake them a pizza... I didnt much care for that... none the less I did it with a smile... Cos I was getting paid for...

...Ok so the other day I walk into McD's and headed for the counter and in a stern voice

"Give ME a Cup of Coffee!" I ordered this teenage kid

I realized what I did...

Typically it goes like this...

"Hey how you doing?, Can I get...."

Not this time... I said "GIVE ME!!!!!!" and was looking at him like I could kill him.

So I stopped and laughed, and said
"I'm Sorry, Can I get a cup of Coffee"

The kid just looked at me with a stupid glance.

Didnt matter... I just knew that was something I didnt like hearing... when I was behind the counter... So I made amends. Guess i was justhaving a caffeine fit! lol But i dont know what came over me.

So yeah buni11687 I like using polite manners and thank you, when I order food, or any sort of cashier transaction.

It meant a LOT to me when people were polite, when I worked that sort of Job.

so STAR and FLAG for being polite !!!

edit on 12/22/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Considering most of these poor folks probably get paid in pennies for standing on their feet all day, smiling at complete strangers it really doesn't hurt to smile and say thank you.
I remember working at the Early learning center. Gawd there were some 'orrible old bags come in. You'd be lobotomized already from the constant Barney on loop so an occasional smile and thank you wouldn't go amiss.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I used to work for an unnamed bank in Aus, that may or may not have been the old "Central Bank Of The Commonwealth of Australia. Long Story Short, I was a polite and respectful all the time...

I literally had people wait in line longer, to be served by me.

The only thing I did as a "teller" that I found nobody else did. I smiled and greeted everyone with a big happy grin and a "Hey How are You Today?" never "Next Please" followed by "And what can I do for you today"...

Well for me they were in the bank, so I new they were there to bank, but what they did not expect was for me to be interested in "How" they were.

It was only the manners I'd been taught as a Kid, but gee it went a long way.

That was 15 years ago,and I don't think my outlook on things is the same, and I'd now probably rather shoot myself in the knee cap before I'd ever work for a Bank again.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I always say thank you! I also say please, ma'am, and sir. I hold the door open for people behind me, I help people that look like they need help (even if that means scaling high store shelves to reach something for a senior). So does everybody I know- from little children to people in their eighties!

I was born, raised, and live in the South- that's how we roll!!!

new topics

top topics

join