It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is all Hell Bout to Break Loose in Arizona?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

The Homeland Security Department will use 50 immigration agents to screen jail inmates in Arizona's most populous county after revoking the sheriff's authority to access its systems, the agency said Monday in a letter to Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.).

The letter from Homeland Security Assistant Secretary Nelson Peacock, obtained by the Associated Press, says the 50 dedicated agents will "screen, identify, apprehend and remove criminal aliens" found in Maricopa County jails.

The agents will replace county officers who had special training and the authority to perform the task in Sheriff Joe Arpaio's lockups. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano revoked that authority last week after a Justice Department investigation concluded that Arpaio's office engaged in a pattern and practice of civil rights and constitutional violations and discriminated against Latinos.

www.latimes.com...

Well so much for a Sheriff having final jurisdiction, eh? Apparently not, cause Homeland Sekurity shut him down.

Now come on Arpaio, you're not just going to cower down to those idiots and let them come in and have their way with your jail, are you?

lol, oops, meant Arizona...fixed...

edit on Wed Dec 21st 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

edit on 12/21/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
what am I missing? last time I checked Arizona was in Arizona and Texas was in Texas

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
ummm you do know that Texas and Arizona are different places right? the article is about Arizona not Texas.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
ROFL...I know, stupid mistake... It's fixed, so now let's get on with the matter...

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Oh this is too funny to watch develop. So let me get this straight.... Sheriff Joe has been using deputies the Feds trained for a program the Feds ran and the Feds then took custody of illegal aliens as a result of. Sheriff Joe, however, has been stomping toes and kicking political butts FAR back into the Bush years, so Aunt Janet finally found a way to fix his little wagon. Oh yeah.. what a fix.

Now, instead of county deputies being paid to do this, the Feds will put their own people in place to do the screening at Federal expense but with largely the EXACT SAME results as when Sheriff Joe's guys were doing it. I don't think I missed anything, did I?

Oh Sheriff Joe will probably send Aunt Janet a Christmas Card for this. He now has a number of deputies freed up and available for street patrol or other work within the jail system and not wasted on immigration checks which brought nothing but grief on the entire Sheriff's Office anyway. Yeah...I'd call that sticking it to him alright. A larger favor he couldn't have asked for.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Jo has been the Sheriff in that county for quite a while. And he's made quite a name for himself. He's the toughest Sheriff in the nation when it comes to how he treats inmates. He makes them wear pink underwear, live in tents in the Arizona desert, and eat food that is spoiled. I'm sure he thinks that ALL law breakers deserve what they get. Course, he also believes that he's above the law.

Sheriff Jo's quite a piece of work. Hopefully he'll be brought to proper justus.

It's not the first time he's been in hot water.

Thursday, October 14 2010, 1:14 PM EST
Arizona, Joe Arpaio, prisoner abuse

On Wednesday, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a ruling by a lower court that charged Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio with mistreatment of detainees in his jails for serving them spoiled food and neglecting their health.

Arpaio’s cruelty toward his inmates is legendary. Tent cities, physical abuse and hard labor, pink underwear, chain gangs—he’s imposed all of these sadistic measures on his prisoners. In 2008, the ACLU took Arpaio to court, arguing that because of his well-documented abuses, his jails necessitated federal oversight.

Source

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
They have already 'folded'

PHOENIX - Ninety-two Maricopa County jail officers turned in their ICE badges on Wednesday afternoon in front of Sheriff Joe Arpaio during a news conference.

Read more: www.abc15.com...

blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com...

Looks like they have formally capitulated.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
And of course,

The feds can act with adjusted guidelines too.

I bet this is a ploy to keep as many illegals as possible here.

Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) enforces the nation’s immigration laws in a fair and effective manner. It identifies and apprehends removable aliens, detains these individuals when necessary and removes illegal aliens from the U.S. This unit prioritizes the apprehension, arrest and removal of convicted criminals, those who pose a threat to national security, fugitives and recent border entrants. Individuals seeking asylum also work with ERO.

ERO transports removable aliens from point to point, manages aliens in custody or in an alternative to detention program, provides access to legal resources and representatives of advocacy groups and removes individuals from the United States who have been ordered to be deported.

I wonder what "removable aliens" are?

ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations

Facilities

edit on Dec-21-2011 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

When jail officers were checking inmates' status, an average of 15 illegal immigrants were found daily, Arpaio said. Under the one federal agent, only one illegal immigrant has been found so far.

Right. So this is how they do it, folks. Open up a glaring hole in security on the border, so they can sneak in Lord only knows what for another 9/11 or worse.

Yeah, I paranoia much, so don't go there with me...

So what's it gonna be this time, Israel?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LazyGuy

A big deal is being made over this DOJ/HS thing in regards to immigration, but Arpaio has cost the taxpayers millions from being sued over mistreatment in his jails and losing. Arpaio has gotten in trouble for shady real estate dealings. Arpaio was investigated by Amnesty International for human rights abuses in the late 90's and was found guilty. Arpaio falsely accused, smeared, and pursued someone who was running against him for the office of sheriff (Dan Saban) on the charges of raping his own mother and is known to target those who speak out against him. Arpaio and the county attorney at the time teamed up and targeted several people on the Phoenix city council falsely for personal and political reasons. For this the attorney, Andrew Thomas, lost his job and is facing potential disbarment. The list goes on and on. Toughest Sheriff? That's the media image that his huge ego presents, but really he is a corrupt thug of a man who does not hold himself and his cronies accountable to the same standard as those "common criminals" that he is so tough on. While HS taking over can be seen as a federal intrusion and therefore bad, I say good. The man belongs in prison himself.
edit on 21-12-2011 by coyotepoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Right. So this is how they do it, folks. Open up a glaring hole in security on the border, so they can sneak in Lord only knows what for another 9/11 or worse.

Yeah, I paranoia much, so don't go there with me...

So what's it gonna be this time, Israel?

The paranoid live longer; so you won't be getting any guff from me. I would never be caught dead saying that your concerns are not well founded.

For me the porosity of the border does not make me think of terrorism but two science fiction novels that seemed very prescient about the current national boundaries situation between Mexico and the U.S.; Dr Adder* by K.W. Jeter and Snow Crash** by Neal Stephenson. Have you read either of those?

*en.wikipedia.org...

**en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 21-12-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Excuse my analogy, but I'm "on the border" when it comes to Sheriff Joe these days.

With the current laws that are in place, I don't think the Feds are going to be able to do a better job than what Arpaio did. That is, of course, unless they decide to bend the laws which Joe did which got him in this trouble to begin with.

When it comes to illegal immigration, you've got too many bleeding hearts getting in the way for anything to be effective.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The problem with this, is the FEDS that are supposed to do this , will be 1/3 the required amount of people they need to do it.

What will happen is these illegals will fail to be processed, and hence let go .
When Ice is called in, a lot of the time they do not even respond,. and illegals are already being let go,
so this is a way to just stop them from checking peoples status. It is a shame because crime by illegals is
a VERY real problem here where I live. Unless you live you here, and experience it for yourself, it is hard for you to imagine.

The bigger issue, I thought the Sheriff overides the FED. This seems like it should be fought.

edit on 21-12-2011 by amatrine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I hope joe sends them a clear message. Wait for all 50 to arrive, Than send all 50's heads back in a box to the Department of homeland sec.

The Federal government cannot tell a sheriff what to do, but a Sheriff can tell the feds what to do in his county. hands down she needs to remove head from 4th point of contact.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

If Napolitano and Holder think this move may take some heat off them for their roles in Operation Gunrunner and Fast & Furious, they have another think coming.

To me, it looks like they are throwing logs on their own funeral pyre.

The 'ol saying of, "Doubling down on stupid isn't wise." comes to mind.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
If the Tough Sheriff can't take the MAN's advice and do as he is told the Bosses will turn the heat up higher and throw him out on his ass.

A lot of you especially from Arizona will say the people will decide that. Well don't say I didn't warn you because if he keeps thinking he works for the people after the election a lot of people will be wondering how the hell he lost his election.

If your wondering First when a lot of Mexican voters move to Maricopa they'll push to elect a more "tolerant" sheriff. Next say they cut off funding to the Sheriffs Office and make it look like his own fault by getting him to say he doesn't want it if it has "stings" attached.

Finally they call some of their compadres in Mexico to start up a crime wave in Arizona when the people get fed up he'll have to quite and as soon as he does things get better overnight like magic.

But none of that will happen because if he is the opportunist power hungry prick I think he is he'll sit down, shut up,and take the money. or go into politics

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Arpaio has been working against all of you for years. This is just the latest round where yes, he's screwed up every sheriff's office in your country, undermining their authority, by abusing those in his care and flaunting rules, and making a packet off of it.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bakedbluedevil

But none of that will happen because if he is the opportunist power hungry prick I think he is he'll sit down, shut up,and take the money. or go into politics

He is an opportunist power hungry prick and he is a politician. Doesn't anyone learn civics in school anymore? The sheriff is an elected post, ergo-politics.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It seems like they have turned up the burner to keep Joe from investigating the Birth Certificate issue.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join