It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those scared of mirrors!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Mirrors have a long history in the occult from reflective black surfaces to pools of water.
One intriguing example is "the devil´s toybox", where 6 square mirrors
are pointed inwards to form a cube, and after a while there are supposed to be
sounds and voices emanating from within the box.
But that´s what i´ve heard, only the theory.
Never tried to build one and never will.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Eisoptrophobia - the irrational fear of mirrors.

I don't have eisoptrophobia ... but I don't like mirrors. NOT because of my own reflection
but because they are really creepy. It's like a portal to another dimension or something. The only mirrors we have hanging in our house are in the bathroom out of necessity. When I visit my parents house and sleep in the guest room, I put a towel over the big dresser mirror they have. Otherwise .. it's creepy.

Side note - it is believed by many in the occult that if you put a mirror on an 'outside' wall of the house then you have created a spirit portal.

interesting. i've never heard the word for it.

i actually LIKE mirrors and collect old ones. with the exception of my kitchen there is a mirror in every room in my house (all of them old).

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Sorgmodig

I dont like a mirror,facing my bed as i sleep,i always position mine before going to sleep,to face away from the bed..no reason,just a feeling that its better that way..there,s a lotta folklore and superstitions,it seems,surrounding,mirrors,and i just never feel comfortable if its facing me when i sleep.Stupid,i know,but its just one of those feelings i go on.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Me too, you just descibed my "shaving spectre" to a T.

But seriously, O.P., I am not trying to be pedantic when I ask what you mean by "mirrors", do you only mean the glass type? Does, for example, highly polished chrome or duco on a car or motorcycle count as well? Buffed gold, brass, copper or silver? Highly polished boots? Or the reflection in calm still water? I remember being rather interested in a scene from the movie "Cold mountain" where a woman looks into a mirror at the reflection in a well and sees signs of the future and wondered if that was based on old folklore.

Forgive my poor knowledge on the subject, I really would like to know more.

Regards.

Jarrah.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
My family has some interesting "old south" traditions. I remember when my great grandmother died 2 things happened immediately: my uncle was sent to the bee hives to tell the bees of the death (an old superstition that you must carry out or it is said the bees will leave) and the second was the housekeeper was sent to cover every mirror in the home. I think it is a pretty common superstition that a soul can get trapped in a mirror and not cross over if they are left uncovered. Once I have enough post to post a photo I will upload a picture taken at the Myrtle Plantation through a mirror that shows a figure. I am not sure if the man in the photo is trapped in there or if mirrors are just a way the dead use to to be seen by the living.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join