It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Janis Joplin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Janis Joplin is a beautiful person. There is no one, in modern music, that I am aware of, that comes within ten million jiggabootygabillion miles of Janis. Well, Outkast is sort of cool, perhaps, he is Janis reincarnate.

[Edited on 9/9/2004 by panchovilla]

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Port Arthur, Texas is Janis's home town and they have a festival every year to honor her.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
thats good, too bad she's dead to enjoy it...

The only thing I remember that they did at a texas university was give her the ugliest girl on campus award for the year....

How mean.... Poor Janis, sure she wasn't all that beautiful psychically but she was on the inside... rest in peace hun...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I wish I could drive her old Porsche around for just one day....

My favorite Joplin song is by far, "Ball and Chain"...It really showcased her incredible ability to not only sing, but really move you....

If I had to compare her to an artist today, I'd say Ani DeFranco is a pretty close match to her individuality...

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by panchovillaWell, Outkast is sort of cool, perhaps, he is Janis reincarnate.

i gotta believe if she could read that, she would be rolling over in her grave.
janis was a blues artist. outkast is a pop star.
the differance?
i really doubt you'll still be seeing outkast cd's in the music shop, 30 years after he's dead.
end of comparison.-j; ):shk:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
nice opinions everyone....i'm sure millions would say the same about millions

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Janis was truly a goddess.

I was surprised when I first saw the "Behind the music" on her several years ago. I hadn't known that my favorite song by here, "Me and Bobby McGee" was written by her one-time boyfriend, Kris Kristofferson.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I've been a fan of Janis since early childhood. If you ask me, she was one of the best musicians to ever live. I will say, though, that I think it's a shame she died, as I personally would have loved to see her make more music.

My favorite song from her:

EDIT: My username is a reference to her, actually. She became known by her friends as "Pearl" after a friend called herself "Ruby", and she died in 1970.
edit on 26-4-2012 by Pearl1970 because: Factual tidbit.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by panchovilla
Janis Joplin is a beautiful person. There is no one, in modern music, that I am aware of, that comes within ten million jiggabootygabillion miles of Janis. Well, Outkast is sort of cool, perhaps, he is Janis reincarnate.

Star and Flag. I too am a very big fan of Janis Joplin, and even managed to touch her Peter Max painted '65 Porsche at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio.

I didn't wash my finger for a week after. I leave you with my favorite Janis song, recorded at Woodstock, 1969.....

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This is the song that blows me away...

It's a shame she was so into the Southern Comfort. You can see how haggard she look from alcohol in this vid. But like a lot of people thrust into the limelight, she had problems because she was so self conscious about her looks, and used alcohol to deal with the attention. She aged about 30 years in the 3 years she was famous.

If only society wasn't so shallow...

She is one of the best vocalists ever, no one has that much emotion in their voice that I know of.

new topics

top topics

join