It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will my spine ever be okay again, or is it ruined forever?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
So, long story short, I was overweight and had enough, so I went to the gym and busted my ass, and lost 100 lbs. in a little over a year. This is not the first time, either. I lost 100 lbs. the same way about 10 years ago, but of course I gained it all back because I'm a freaking loser like that. This time, however, something horrible happened. I ruptured a disc in my spine. Now I have bad sciatica pain down the right side of my body, below the hip, down to the knee. I can't stand up for more than 10 minutes before the pain becomes unbearable. Sitting and laying down is fine, it's just standing and walking.

This has been going on since September, and I finally had an MRI a few weeks ago, and was sent to a neurosurgeon. He told me I had two options: cortisone injection, or surgery. I took the cortisone injection today, and it's been about two hours. I notice no improvement. I wasn't told if it takes time, or whatever.

So it looks like trying to work hard and not be a fatass anymore has ruined my back. I still could lose 40 pounds, in my opinion. But going back to the gym doesn't look like an option anymore. Life is looking pretty pointless about now.

I'm wondering if anyone knows about this sort of thing, and how people live with it? I've searched the net for weeks and months, and it seems to be the same regurgitated information at every medical site. Anyone here with experience? Meh...

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!!
did the same thing. needed physio. lift with knees. doc wanted to give me a needle. yadda yadda. it comes and goes. even brought tears to my eyes with pain. but im fine now. good luck to you.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

How long did it take until you were "fine"?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MrUncreated

Cortisone does take time to work (2 to 3 weeks) and sometimes takes multiple injections.

I think you tried the smart option - cortisone in lieu of surgery - because I've heard that once you have back surgery, you'll more than likely have to have multiple surgeries. Don't give up...

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Normally, unless you start having loss of bladder control, bowel incontinence, or sexual dysfunction, generally, the "safer" course and the normal course is to start with epidural steroid injections.
Sometimes it can take up to three injections over a couple of weeks to start to help. However, if the injections don't work, or if the pain comes back,then surgery may be a viable option. The sooner the surgery happens though in relation to the initial injury the quicker the recovery.

I actually did just have a minimally invasive L-5 S-1 disc replacement 1 week ago today. But I went for years trying to "tough" it out. Basically, I had a single disc inserted to replace a destroyed one between my L-5 and S-1 vertebra. The neurosurgeon also tried to free up the nerves that come out at this area on both sides. He told my wife right after the surgery it was a mess in there.

It might take some time, but you can get it back to a good usable working condition. Proper lifting techniques, stretching and exercise play a big part. But I totally get your frustration with trying to improve your health and then have this jump out at you. I have a pretty decent road to go with mine, but the surgeon expects a pretty decent recovery for me....even though it's been quite a while that I've been having the pain there.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I'm sorry about your situation it sucks and many of us completely understand. I was shot in the line of duty and it clipped my spinal cord in a few places I go in every month for laser facet repairs the bad thing about surgery is there is a 50/50 chance u will come out unchanged or worse so I won't do it myself and my wife is a doctor and fully agrees with my decision but it I continue to get worse I won't have a choice and with 5 kiddos one being a year old not walking is not an option. Talk to your Neuro about a PM doc I know how most people feel but it can help give u some quality of life back to you. Also the facet blocks works wonders on some people for me its a miracle. If you need any info or help or hell for that matter just a person to lend a ear please don't hesitate no matter what time it is cause I know how over whelming it can get and depressing and I hate to see people go thru all this feeling alone so if ever u need just give me a shout. I'll def pray for u and I hope u the best.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I was getting pretty buff. Now, I will have to completely start over. And I've gained about 15 pounds since I've had to stop working out. Funny, since I am still eating high-protein, and very low carbs. I guess I'm just a natural fat slob. I really hate myself.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I had a herniated disc in my back that gave me lots of trouble. After some time of just dealing with it I had the surgery to have it removed. The Doctor told me that I would lose some mobility and it would put more pressure on the adjoining discs over the years. I thought I would have many years before I would have to worry about any more problems. WRONG!!!

Two years later I had the discs above and below the original surgery removed because the additional strain on them caused them to also fail.

If I could do it all over again I would have refused the first surgery and just dealt with it. I would have been much better off!!!

Keep in mind that your situation may be different. You should also look into your different options!!!

Disc decompression therapy can help, among the other options.

Just my opinion,,,, I would definately exhaust ALL of my other options before considering surgery.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I have scoliosis that causes me back and hip pain so I feel you. My sister had scoliosis so bad she had to have back surgery at 16. She woke up saying her foot felt weird and numb. Her doctor ignored it and she now has PERMANENT nerve damage and constant pain. If her doctor would have acted her nerve damage wouldn't have been as bad as it is now.

The MAIN thing with nerve damage/injuries is to NOT wait around. The more you wait the worse the nerve damage can get and become permanent. If you feel your doctor is incompetent get a new one ASAP.

Do not beat yourself up about it. People fall and get hurt, it isn't your fault it is just life.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Just wanted to add that a Chiropractor can really help and also give you an exercise program that you are comfortable with. ( Pick one with a hot massage therapist )

The exercise program keeps you in shape and you can still lose weight if you want.
( Though I have gained somewhat of a beer belly lately )

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Twisted1

I had a chiropractor before I had the MRI. He told me I didn't have a herniated disc. He actually said, "I promise you that you don't." Three weeks later, he changed his story.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I had sciatica and physiotherapy worked like a miracle. I could barely dress myself before, and one session of karma sutric-like positionings with my therapist, and a few days later I could walk normally again and pull my own knickers up without needing to take a breather. The disk trouble I have no experience of.

If a lack of exercise is depressing you, have you considered swimming? Or just a water-based exercise routine. You can get incredible results from aqua-aerobics and it is almost zero impact.

What I found though, was that once I had overcome the fear that I would hurt myself further or do more severe damage, mainly by being pulled into most ungainly positions by a rather strapping lad, that I relaxed and stopped tensing everytime I hit the pain...allowed it to get back into position where it was supposed to be.

I hope that you get yourself sorted soon.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrUncreated

I had a chiropractor before I had the MRI. He told me I didn't have a herniated disc. He actually said, "I promise you that you don't." Three weeks later, he changed his story.

Sorry that you got bad advice from your chiropractor. However, let me offer you some good advice: Never see a chiropractor ever again. You are better off seeing a physical therapist a few times and learn some low impact exercises/stretches that will actually help your back pain. I hope all goes well with your noninvasive treatment; however, when it comes to ruptured discs, surgery is usually the inevitable outcome.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I had a herniated disc as well and refused surgery. There were times when the pain was more than I could take (it was in my right hand), but I rode it out. It took about ten months and some pain killers, but I have not had any problems in about ten years (knock on wood). I would never wish that pain on anyone....

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
stop takin injections they are more harmful than any good they do...

you need to start stretching like 3-4 times a day find out what stretches help the most and like weight lifting you have to work through the pain...

epidurals and steroids are horrible you will gain so much weight on steroids and getting off them well have fun with that, epidurals only mask the pain it WILL come back and you will be worse of when it does proper practice makes perfect. stretching and good form. are my advice as well as detoxifying your body and eating healthy drinking a ton of water might help along with supplements like fishoil and flaxseed.

top topics

join