It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First day of winter and it feels like spring

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by lcbjr1979

I live in Birmingham UK. On this day last year (The shortest day) the temperature here was -18c. Today the temperature is +12c Thats a temperature range differance of 30C

I'm afraid your information is well of the mark. The lowest minimum temperature recorded in Birmingham, UK on the 21st December 2010 was -6oC, the minimum temperature recorded on the 21st December 2011 was 5oC, that's a temperature difference of 11oC.

The maximum temperature recorded in Birmingham, UK on the 21st December 2010 was -1oC, the maximum temperature recorded on the 21st December 2011 was 13oC, that's a temperature difference of 14oC.

The weather patterns are TOTALLY different this year to last year.

edit on 22/12/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Lets look on the brightside. Come Christmas eve we won't need too many layers and end up sweating cobs / angry and faint in the shopping ques.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

I live in Birmingham UK. On this day last year (The shortest day) the temperature here was -18c. Today the temperature is +12c Thats a temperature range differance of 30C

I'm afraid your information is well of the mark. The lowest minimum temperature recorded in Birmingham, UK on the 21st December 2010 was -6oC, the minimum temperature recorded on the 21st December 2011 was 5oC, that's a temperature difference of 11oC.

The maximum temperature recorded in Birmingham, UK on the 21st December 2010 was -1oC, the maximum temperature recorded on the 21st December 2011 was 13oC, that's a temperature difference of 14oC.

Sorry your wrong. Temperature's in Birmingham in December 2010 reached as low as -20C Here is the link:-

onthisdaywmuk.wordpress.com...

I know that on the 21st December last year the temperature was -18C because that what was being shown on my car thermometer as the outside temperature.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Oh My God... It's Gloabal Warming!!!

Uhm...No.

Actually, just normal weather fluctuations. Nothing extreme. I just did a check on my local news/ weather site and the record highs for this week before Christmas are all mid 70s and vary from 1967 to 1971 to 1984 to 2001...

I remember one Christmas, my brother and I were playing with remote controlled dirt buggies outside in shorts and t-shirts. My Mom, who had been cooking all day...had the kitchen door open and only the screen door... the windows were up... it was surreal.

In contrast, last year here in NC.. we actually had a White Christmas. I'll take 70 and warm anyday.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Im from the Midlands also, but I don't remember it being -18c. It was very very cold, not doubting that (I remember, it was a very bad time to be on crutches,lol) But car thermometer are unreliable, it was probably showing a colder temp because of ice on the bonnet or wherever you car has its thermometer reader. It was around the -10c though.

Today im sitting in me room with the window wide open, it looks exactly like spring. Extremely bright, the sun is warm. Its 12c here at the moment, are we going to have xmas in t-shirts this year?!

It's also worth to note that this time last week, it was getting into negative temps at night, and we had heavy snowfall in Stoke. We've basically gone up 10c in a few days.
edit on 22-12-2011 by Trolloks because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Isn't this called

La Nina?

Anyway, here in Portland, Oregon it's been in the 30s for weeks and freezing most nights. Very cold for here.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
It's been a very mild late fall and now early winter. In Boston we're normally in the 20's-30's with evenings dipping in the teens by this time. We've had only a few actual cold days so far, not that I'm complaining because I hate winter. Today it's 52 degrees out. We had a similar winter several years ago, also a La Nina year but it wasn't this consistently warm, and before that one I can't remember a warm winter in my whole life. We're more prone to abnormally cold winters. At anyrate normal or not, I'll take it

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well, it's 55º here in midtown Manhattan right now.

Last night it was 60º and I actually had the A/C running, which is certainly a bit odd for late December.

I'm not a scientist so I won't pretend to know why the weather has been odd, but I certainly won't complain about not having to walk through many inches of slush.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I was talking to my wife about this Warm weather this morning.

In the past years we would have already had snowplows on the road .. not this year yet.

Its 41 deg. F and does not seem to want to cool down until after the new year.

At this point last year we would have scraped ICE sheets off of the windshields in the morning.

I am watching very closely to the 3-5 day forcast just in case I feel the urge to get a few more packets of oatmeal

Detroit area.

JG.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Sorry your wrong. Temperature's in Birmingham in December 2010 reached as low as -20C Here is the link:-

onthisdaywmuk.wordpress.com...

I know that on the 21st December last year the temperature was -18C because that what was being shown on my car thermometer as the outside temperature.

LOL...so what your saying is that because your car was saying it was -18oC, yet the MetO and WeatherOnline's historical scientifically official measurements for Birmingham on 21st December 2010 are total rubbish?

The lowest temperature of the 2010 "cold snap" was -21.2oC in Scotland. There is NO earthly way -20oC or below was recorded in Birmingham on the 21st December, as per your article.

Please review the wikipedia link HERE

21 December 2010. Dublin Airport and City of Derry Airport were forced to fully close, 15 cm (6 inches) of snow was recorded at Dublin Airport. The band of snow dumped several more centimeters over an area stretching from North Wales, through parts of Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire and into the West Midlands by the morning of the 22nd

Now if you know anything about weather...which i doubt if your using your car for your official temp readings, you would realise that as a band of snow approaches when its very cold, the temperature can actually begin to rise slightly. Sometimes by a good few degrees.

As you can see from the link HERE, the minimum temperature recorded at the University of Birmingham was -5.8oC, which corresponds with the WeatherOnline reading. Even the night before it only bottomed out at -13oC.

There is NO mention of your -18oC or anywhere near it...except your car...

Please, DENY IGNORANCE!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jaduguru

I am in lower Mi also and my girlfriend and I were just talking about the strange weather this morning too. We have zero snow and havent had to scrape the windshields yet. I've lived here my whole life and i've noticed the winter season has definetly gotten shorter over the last ten years or so. Used to be plenty of snow by Thanksgiving and people counldn't start cutting grass till the end of May. Anymore, the last snowfall is in March and completely gone the beginning of April and lawn mowing starts the last week of Apr.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Western PA here. It was 58 yesterday and no one is complaining. We had our first snow before Halloween but this is wonderful. I'll take it--the last few years we've gone into the freezer around Thanksgiving and didn't get out of it till April. We've had several nights down into the teens, and it's been in the 40's, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to most Decembers.

Of course, we're all wondering when the other shoe is going to drop. But we'll enjoy it while it lasts.
(And we haven't broken any records, which says this isn't all that unusual.)
edit on 12/22/2011 by HappyBunny because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/22/2011 by HappyBunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
This situation is NOT normal, even here in Finland, most people get black Christmas, right now its raining and I afraid that tomorrow we don't have any snow left. Temperature is +2 Celsius, which is very far from average temperature. Average December temperature here is around -9.0 Celsius.

NAO index is very positive right now, causing central Europe more snow than usually, while North Europe gets unusually warm weather. Meteorologists predicted coldest winter in 100 years this year, but its actually warmest winter. And last summer was warmest for decades.

NAO-index

Actually nature was preparing for spring last month, in some places Pussy willows started to emerge and rabbits changed to their summer fur. Even some flowers started flowering, so nature is going nuts.

God I want some monster volcano to blow and get us ice age, it would reset this global warming madness. Global warming is dangerous to nature. This rain totally ruins X-Mas spirit

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Here it's pretty unusual today too. +7° C, yesterday it was 0° C and snow was falling. There's still a little bit of snow outside, but it's melting away.
For the next days they say temperatures will be between +2 and +6, with sunshine. It's unusual but since a few years i have the feeling that the weather 'shifted'. We now have in January the weather we should have in December, while December is more like our usual November.

Maybe it's due to all the heavy earthquakes in the past few years, which changed the earth axis?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Isn't global warming supposed to make Europe and the Northeast colder since it supposedly shuts off the Gulf Stream? How strange.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Here is good link for Sea Surface anomaly map, it updates daily. Notice how Greenland Sea and Norwegian Sea is lot warmer than usually while North Atlantic is colder. It causes Positive NAO-index and affects North Atlantic Jet Stream.

weather.unisys.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Living in the great lakes region my whole life I can certainly say to expect the unexpected. We have more fluctuations here than anywhere I think. Anyways above normal ,not complaining except that when the snows come we are screwed because of the lake effect snow that will accompany them. If the lakes don't freeze over it makes for a hell of a lot of snow.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I live in Quebec , Canada, and although it has been much milder than the norm, it has happened before. I have memories of a mild and green Christmas starting from when I was young. Most years there is colder weather and plenty of snow but mild winters do happen. Weather patterns change and have been doing so since the beginning of time. I'll start being concerned if it happens several years in a row, but for now time to move along, nothing to see here.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

We had strange weather here in NC. It felt like tornado weather and for being the first day of Winter, it was VerY odd!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Definitely feels like winter here in N Texas...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join