It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwanese election : January 14 2012... peace or WW3?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Myopic

I was very shocked when I moved back to Taipei in 1989 to teach at a univ.

I was in the Foremost dairy ice cream parlor on North Chung Shan Rd that was later changed to a My Dawn Lao (McDonalds) and a middle aged Chinese woman got into a conversation with me and ranted on and on about how wonderful Communism and mainland China were and how she was eager for Beijing to take over Taiwan etc.

I was shocked. The last time I'd been in Taipei was during martial law in 1971. Such a public rant would have been unthinkable. After she left, I regretted a bit not finding out enough about her to tell someone. She seemed like a real dangerous person, to me.

Over the following 13 years, I discovered a shocking number of people (though still an extremely small minority) agreed with her. They were clueless as I told her, in polite terms. I noted that I'd lived on the Mainland and she didn't know what she was talking about. She was more tha a little indignant. LOL.

edit on 12/1/2012 by BO XIAN because: changed sentence

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

If, as some are claiming, WW3 is to begin in March . . . we could have plenty Chinese to deal with in Calif, Oregon and Washington as well as through Mexico in Texas, NM, & AZ.

Buckle seatbelts, folks.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
reply to post by Myopic

Over the following 13 years, I discovered a shocking number of people (though still an extremely small minority) agreed with her. They were clueless as I told her, in polite terms. I noted that I'd lived on the Mainland and she didn't know what she was talking about. She was more tha a little indignant. LOL.
edit on 12/1/2012 by BO XIAN because: changed sentence

I think if you went their today you would probably note that percentage people who want to be governed by China is tiny and I have been to that McDonalds that you spoke of many times. Its now called Zhong Shan N Rd, though.

I may be wrong, but I think that the majority of the Chinese people living in America would consider themselves American first and would probably side with the United States rather than with a government that restricts the freedom of its citizens, although the US is headed in that direction.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

I was shocked. The last time I'd been in Taipei was during martial law in 1971. Such a public rant would have been unthinkable. After she left, I regretted a bit not finding out enough about her to tell someone. She seemed like a real dangerous person, to me.

Well from what I see on Chinese forums, usually, the Chinese posters are fanatics when it comes to Taiwan.

If, as some are claiming, WW3 is to begin in March . . . we could have plenty Chinese to deal with in Calif, Oregon and Washington as well as through Mexico in Texas, NM, & AZ.

Doubt that. But again, I can't bring myself to imagine WW3, it's too terrible.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Dramatic vote looms in Taiwan as China, US watch

Taiwan goes to the polls on Saturday in a knife-edge presidential election that could shape both the high-tech trading island's economic outlook and relations with Beijing and Washington.

The last surveys allowed to be published prior to the election showed the race was too close to call.

"This election is extremely important and will have both an immediate and a long-term impact on cross-strait relations and regional stability," George Tsai, an analyst at Chinese Culture University in Taipei, told AFP.

"It will also impact China's future development. If tension increases, China may have to divert some of its resources and attention away to deal with Taiwan," he said.

Tsai has reportedly caused concern in both Washington and Beijing by suggesting she may not accept the longstanding formula in which Taiwan agrees, in a vague and non-committal way, to the idea that there is only one China.

Voting runs from 0000 to 0800 GMT on Saturday and television exit polls will follow. An official result could come by 1400 GMT, but that will depend on how close the outcome is.

This will be a must watch. 1400GMT would mean 9AM EST Saturday.

DPP voices concern over dirty tricks, vote buying

A DPP spokesperson has asked reporters to refrain from sensationalizing the news if an election-eve incident were to occur to avoid conflict

Nobel laureate goes on stage to stump for Tsai

Lee Yuan-tseh, a former head of Academia Sinica, said that the DPP chairperson was the best of all the government officials he had worked with

Ma Ying-jeou should be ashamed: Soong

President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) should be ashamed for trying to get party heavyweights to “save” him, People First Party (PFP) presidential candidate James Soong (宋楚瑜) said yesterday.

“A leader has to provide for the safety of people, instead of having people ‘save’ him,” Soong said.

Tsai confident on China relations, Hsiao says

Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) presidential candidate Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) hopes that her “consensus-building character” and her initiatives would make it possible to foster a stable, long-term relationship with China, as well as ending internal division in Taiwan, the party said yesterday at an international press conference.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Myopic

I have no doubt that you're right on all counts.

Have you seen this?

www.handofhelp.com...

There's some other related dreams/visions at that site about China attacking . . .

I sure miss Taipei and the precious people there.

I pray the election goes redemptively for the Island.

BTW, do you play the half game of Chinese chess? I love it. I play the Peng Hu rules.

Ma eats diagonally--and can eat anything;
Pow can eat anything . . . jumping over one and only one piece--turned over or not--distance doesn't matter.
Che/Car/Cart can eat anyting but MUST have AT LEAST ONE EMPTY (OR MORE) SPACE between it and victim.

Soldiers can eat top general. Top general cannot eat soldiers. all other pieces are as normally.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Well from what I see on Chinese forums, usually, the Chinese posters are fanatics when it comes to Taiwan.

Certainly Nationalism is rampant there. However, I think as a culture, Chinese are very ethnocentric.

Actually, some of my Mainland friends were convinced . . . with good info from higher-ups . . . that it was fitting and right for China eventually to invade and take over Australia . . . for the masses of Chinese people.

Then there's the issue that POWER CORRUPTS AND IS ADDICTIVE . . . in all cultures--a human problem.

Doubt that. But again, I can't bring myself to imagine WW3, it's too terrible.

Welllllll, that would be a nice way to live . . .

except for the facts.

SOME PREP AND PLANNING IS WISER. . . . probably essential.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

However, I think as a culture, Chinese are very ethnocentric.

Well every culture is ethnocentric. Depends at what degree... are they more so than the Japanese?

Actually, some of my Mainland friends were convinced . . . with good info from higher-ups . . . that it was fitting and right for China eventually to invade and take over Australia . . . for the masses of Chinese people.

Yeah hopefully the crazies don't get in power. And they are almost already doing this... with all the Chinese moving to Australia (with probably money from the government).

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

No. I don't think MORE than the Japanese! LOL.

Sadly, I think the crazies and demonized are already genocidally at the top of the elite oligarchy running the planet.

BTW, Those of you in Taipei,

IF someone gets a good photo of the JIAN TAN MRT STATION--the DRAGON BOAT STATION, please post it hereon or on

www.webshots.com...

and let me know.

I love that architecture.

. . .

edit on 12/1/2012 by BO XIAN because: an addition

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
What was it the Japanesse in WWII called the Pacific, "the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" which included Australia.

Looks like China took over the mantra.....

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Lee Teng-hui stumps on stage for Tsai

The former president spoke to a crowd of 80,000 Tsai Ing-wen supporters, saying the DPP leader would make Taiwan a model of democracy

Ma calls for consolidated blue vote

President Ma Ying-jeou was joined by his wife on a tour of centers in the south before jetting to the last rally in Taipei, where he asked for voting unity

KMT slams DPP over allegations of buying votes

The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) yesterday criticized the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) for making accusations that KMT legislative candidates had been involved in vote-buying.

Extra buses carry students home to vote in elections

First-time voters, a group tagged as potentially pivotal in the outcome of today’s elections, were offered half-price discounts to return home to vote yesterday, as this week coincides with their final exams.

Vote to begin in a few hours. Results in about 15 hrs.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

BTW, Those of you in Taipei,

IF someone gets a good photo of the JIAN TAN MRT STATION--the DRAGON BOAT STATION, please post it hereon or on

www.webshots.com...

and let me know.

I love that architecture.

. . .

edit on 12/1/2012 by BO XIAN because: an addition

It's not my picture but here's a link. www.flickr.com...

Heh, Zhongshan N Rd, Jian Tan, why do I get the feeling that you stayed in Beitou?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well the current government won reelection.

Ma wins re-election

Ma Ying-jeou won 51.6 percent of the total votes to Tsai Ing-wen’s 45.63 percent, while voter turnout, at 74.38 percent, was less that the 76.33 turnout in the previous presidential election in 2008, though all the numbers won’t be finalized until a Central Election Commission meeting on Thursday

Ma won by 6%... the polls were very wrong apparently... or there was voter fraud. Who knows.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I wonder how will the US react when China takes Taiwan. Will the US engage forces? If they do, they will need to attack bases inside China otherwise they will lose. And if they engage with only one aircraft carrier, they gonna get sunk.

My bet is that (if China attacks Taiwan if the nationalists are elected) the US will let Taiwan get run over. There will be huge backlash against Obama, but that's all part of the plan for the elite... let controlled China be seen as the big bad threat.... so that the warmongering continues.

Now the big question if that all goes down... how will the American people react? Will they support even more Ron Paul to not get involved? Or will they support warmongering Romney?

I hope to God nothing happens even if the nationalists are elected.

Answer in 3 weeks.

What a great and well wrote out thread Vitchilo!

Man,you have it all spelled out.

I think the same as you. The US will undoubtedly "let" Taiwan get run over,talk sanctions,but wont do anything militarily. What will this do for the economy of the world? Alot. You could see economic upheaval immediately,as Taiwan is ranked 19th in the world economically. Bad situation all around. China,with an invasion,and clear victory,might want to progress its stakes into other areas.

S&F

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myopic

Yes, I am from Taiwan and thank you for writing about the topic of Taiwan.

I just want to reiterate that Taiwan has done nothing to incite the PRC. The PRC is clearly the aggressor here. It seems all of their military enhancements are designed specifically for taking out Taiwan. Also, Taiwanese do not want to "reunify" with the mainland.

Taiwan has been passing agreements to merge with mainland China (trade/banking). Even Hong Kong is merging in and it looks like mainland China will start letting them into their military. (But they don't trust those British Chinese)

Taiwan punished its former Leader and threw him in jail for stealing money. He was Pro-US. Taiwan's been leaning towards China more to get $$$$. If you didn't do those Trade/Banking agreements Taiwan's Government would have collapsed. China wouldn't have had to even use its military.

If you didn't want to re-unify you never would have passed those agreements with China. Taiwan has been obtaining military hardware from the US/European Union....kind of inciting mainland China. Plus when that new Aircraft carrier sailed into the sea Taiwan put up some propaganda showing it had a Carrier Killer Missile....inciting mainland China by saying you are going to sink it.

America will sacrifice many cities to keep Taiwan. It's a shame hundreds of millions of people are about to die over which families are the wealthy families in the world.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Well the Taiwanese people have spoken, they have reelected Ma because of the economy getting better due to increase trade with China.

So he's there till 2016.

So I don't see any conflict between China-Taiwan till at least 2016 unless Taiwan pulls something completely crazy.

So I'll answer my OP's question...

Taiwanese election : January 14 2012... peace or WW3? PEACE thankfully!

edit on 14-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join