It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Administration to draw down National Guard troops on Southwest border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
CNN

Washington (CNN) -- A year and a half after deploying National Guard troops to counter illegal immigration on the Southwest border, the Department of Homeland Security and Pentagon told Congress Tuesday they are cutting the number of troops and changing their mission.

Now I understand that this is not standard use of the National Gaurd and it was a stop gap measure. But just how many border control agents have been added? I am more concerned with the drug war, which has ramped up.

One of the reasons that the article doesn't mention that there are less arrests is because of the recession. There are only so many labor jobs to go around so the quota has to be reached eventually, but the number may havebeen dropped due to less hiring due to the recession.

Rep. Ted Poe, R-Texas, told CNN. Poe said the United States has "operational control" of only 44 percent of the Southwestern border.

I wonder how much this has to do with budget cuts.

The Defense Department budget for the border would drop by half, from $120 million to $60 million, congressional staffers said they were told. Specifics about the ramped-up aerial surveillance are still being worked out, the staffers said.

And there it is.

But for once, I am not sure that is military spending that should be cut.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
When the guardsmen were down there with 0 arrest and enforcement authority anyway, and as I understand it, playing Sea-bee or glorified secretary so ICE field agents could go out and do their work...I'm not sure this was worth the time and hardship on the NG families anyway. I'd love the guard down there as GUARDS...but not as a silly public relations stunt so the President of the moment can say they're doing something.

This was one of the cheaper stunts Bush pulled to tell the nation he cared about illegal immigration while he watched the problem continue to get worse and worse...It's just as well these guys are going back home.

Lets just hope they aren't pulled off our Southern border to simply deploy out to Afghanistan or the Syria/Iran war we're seeing build. If that is the plan, then heck...on second thought, leave them there indefinitely.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This is actually called a Democrat Voter Recuitment Drive.

(apologies, couldn't resist)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

So were they just providing technology backup then?
The article goes on to say that they will be leaving some equipment.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Already covered here:
ATS post: Obama to slash National Guard force on U.S.-Mexico border

This was also the scheduled termination of the National Guards "Operation Phalanx" on Dec. 21. They were only meant to be a temporary force until the Border Patrol forces could be beefed up.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

So were they just providing technology backup then?
The article goes on to say that they will be leaving some equipment.

It's getting to be challenging to get a clear picture of what things mean in the news these days since every new announcement seems to be accompanied by recaps of past achievements and such...which is all just B.S. more often than not. I'm coming to find Google's ability to set date ranges to search to be an invaluable tool.

If you dump the past year of news and run Dec 2010 as the end date, you'll find the stories covering the statements and intent for the Guard in Obama's initial deployments and support for the original Bush mission on the border. They are repeatedly described as being relegated to desk duties and office work, as well as construction support crews when the 'wall' or 'fence' was actually still worked on down there. very specifically prohibited, apparently, is any work by the Guard members in direct law enforcement help. Sad isn't it?

For the folks who bristle at anything wearing a uniform and carrying a gun....Guard IS permitted to act in a law enforcement capacity under state control and for domestic crisis. Examples from natural disaster recovery to the support for law enforcement following Katrina show that. If they can't be allowed to work down there in solving the problem... They may as well be back home with their families.

.....and the insanity across our Southern Border just goes on and on.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I think the US would leave invading mexico and co (South America) to a last minute recourse if already engaged in another drawn out war in "russian winter type" conditions where all international trade was somehow crippled and all diplomatic chanels suddenly were completely rendered null...Heavy attrition and long term viabilty of Government infrastructure after a prolonged initial response....an ace for when the chips are down....The US wouldnt have to "invade them" just anex them politically and rush in "POLICE" over a "CRISIS"
whether national guard, or private security....shoot....... even militias....La migra of coarse....riot gear and boots is all you need.....and there you have it you secure stability....and so control....by "policing" the land......I mean because if they all have the same helmet and pads on....then they are all Police , right? and can so act in the name of order....?
edit on 21-12-2011 by newyorkee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Let's see...Now Obama and his 'racist' AG Holder gave weapon's to the criminal drug cartels in Mexico and now our foreign nation POUS is going to cut back on our protection in the south.
Are American's just totally damn stupid?

Obama can get all the drugs (and men) that he wants...so this isn't the reason.
edit on 21-12-2011 by truthRconsequences357 because: wtf

new topics

top topics

join