It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Argentine official commits suicide at summit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

A top Argentine official committed suicide Tuesday at a hotel in Montevideo during a summit meeting of the South American trade group Mercosur, officials said.
Ivan Heyn, the undersecretary of foreign trade, hanged himself at the Radisson Hotel downtown, a Uruguayan official told AFP.

The official said Argentine President Cristina Kirchner had been so upset over the news that she was being monitored by a medical team.

Security was beefed up after the incident at the hotel, where some of the leaders attending the summit are staying. Police investigators could be seen on the 10th floor of the building.

Argentina's embassy confirmed Heyn's death, and said in a statement that Uruguayan authorities were taking "all the necessary legal steps with regard to this tragic incident."

Heyn, 33, was an economist who belonged to the Peronist youth group La Campora that supports the governments of Kirchner and her late husband Nestor Kirchner.

A former leader of the Argentine University Federation, Heyn occupied other positions in the Economy Ministry during Cristina Kirchner's first term. He took up his new post just 10 days ago.

Heyn traveled to Montevideo last week to participate in technical meetings preceding the Mercosur summit attended by the presidents of Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela.

Terrible news. The authorities stated that they were immediately taking "legal steps".

All of this seems suspicious to me. Especially since he had only been in his current position for 10 days.

Thoughts?
edit on 21-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Based on what I see, it's an assassination. That's the only way to describe it. But the question is why?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

That's what I was thinking, too.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Ivan Heyn, the undersecretary of foreign trade, hanged himself at the Radisson Hotel downtown, a Uruguayan official told AFP.

The official said Argentine President Cristina Kirchner had been so upset over the news that she was being monitored by a medical team.

Seriously...try reading the article.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Perhaps it has something to do with this embargo on the Falklands?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by scary

Sorry for that. It didn't sink in that they were jumping to the President's state of mind.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll edit the Op.

It still seems like its a smoke screen. Why would the President be at risk of hurting herself? I'm sure the news was devasting, but really? On the other hand, I had already heard that Hillary Clinton had her watched and decided she was not stable. I'll try to find the article.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Could this be related to how close Argentina was to the Paris Club setting the IMF on them? I only ask as I'm sure the strain has got to be awful.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

The official said Argentine President Cristina Kirchner had been so upset over the news that she was being monitored by a medical team

This is why she committed suicide?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Here's one article related to what may be going on:

"WikiLeaks: Washington was nervous that Argentina would invade Falklands again"
www.dailymail.co.uk...

The WikiLeak cables reveal that U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned that a new war with Britain was possible after the UK authorised drilling for oil in the waters off the islands earlier this year.

In January she sent a memo to the American embassy in Buenos Aires pointing out: ‘It is possible that Argentina might use the prospective oil exploration in the region as an opportunity to assert its claims over the islands and the waters surrounding it.’

Mrs Clinton predicted that Argentine President Cristina Kirchner might adopt ‘a bellicose stance as a way to distract the Argentine populace from economic problems at home’.

She demanded information about Argentina’s likely response and asked: ‘Include possible military actions.’
She added: ‘Are there indications that this can potentially escalate into another military clash with the United Kingdom.’

Making clear that Mr Chavez, Venezuela’s communist leader, might egg on the Argentines, Mrs Clinton asked her diplomats on the spot to report ‘on any Argentine government or military officials’ discussions about planned actions, alone or in concert with regional allies like Venezuela.’

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

That's what I thought, too. As pointed out above. The article jumps from Heyn's suicide to the President being monitored by a medical team because of the Secretary's suicide. This was poorly written. The first time I read it, I interpreted as the person committed suicide even though they were under medical supervision.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Here it is.

"U.S. analysts sought details on mental health of Argentine president"
www.cnn.com...

Washington (CNN) -- State Department analysts raised questions about the psychological state and health of Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, according to a December 2009 cable recently published by WikiLeaks.

The analysts were curious about the "interpersonal dynamics" of the president and her husband Nestor Kirchner, who was also his wife's immediate predecessor as president.

The cable, which was sent from the secretary of state's office and signed by Hillary Clinton, said that the analysts had "a much more solid understanding of Nestor Kirchner's style and personality than we do of Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner," and wanted to develop "a more well-rounded view" of the then-president's personality.

Among the questions put to the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires was a series about President Fernandez de Kirchner's mental state and health: how she managed her nerves and anxiety, how stress affected her behavior toward advisers and decision-making, whether she was on medications, and how she calmed down when distressed.

The cable also asked about President Fernandez de Kirchner's approach to dealing with problems, and whether she shared her husband's "adversarial view of politics." It also asked about how the Argentine first couple divided up their day and on what issues each of them took the lead or deferred to the other.

The 2009 cable also asked about the health of former President Kirchner. He died of an apparent heart attack in October.

Edited to bold important texts within the article.

Maybe certain people are aware that she doesn't handle stress well and would be deeply affected by one of her officials committing suicide?
Concerning the developing information surrounding this suicide and the President being under close medical supervision, I have a difficult time not believing that something bigger is in the works.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The part about the President is ancillary... she become upset so they kept a doctor at hand. That's not the point.

The point is, people don't attend economic summits and hang themselves in their hotel rooms. They're still investigating, although the media bias is towards suicide because an unnamed Uruguayan official (Hayn was with the Argentinian government) said earlier that Heyn had committed suicide. There are no certainties at this point, but here are what appear to be the facts:

Ivan Heyn, the undersecretary of foreign trade, was found dead around 3:00 pm (1700 GMT) at the Radisson Hotel downtown, police spokesman Jose Luis Rondan told a news conference.

“He apparently died by hanging” with a belt, Rondan said. He said police were trying to determine whether it was a suicide or something else. A Uruguayan official earlier said Heyn had committed suicide.

A source close to the case told AFP on condition of anonymity that Heyn, 33, was naked when he was found, nearly six hours after his death.

Now the fun part.

Who was Heyn?

Heyn was a promising economist who belonged to the Peronist youth group La Campora that supports the governments of Kirchner and her late husband Nestor Kirchner.

A former leader of the Argentine University Federation, Heyn was an undersecretary in the Ministry of the Economy during Cristina Kirchner’s first term. He took up his new post just 10 days ago after Kirchner’s reelection.

What was he at the summit to talk about?

Mercosur is a South American trade bloc comprising Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay.

The leaders of Venezuela and Ecuador are also attending the summit.

The main issue on the agenda was whether to admit Venezuela as a full member, a move that has long been blocked by opposition in the Paraguayan parliament.

South American leaders were also discussing how to protect their economies from global instability.

In its first act, the summit approved a free-trade deal with the Palestinian Authority (PA).

The agreement is the first between the PA and a trading bloc outside the Arab world.

Mercosur members have already recognised Palestine as an independent state.

"Heyn was a promising economist who belonged to the Peronist youth group La Campora that supports the governments of Kirchner and her late husband Nestor Kirchner." Youth group = activist group... I wonder what they are about? Well... it turns out they have an activism event planned for today (the day after Heyn's death) against a corrupt newspaper cartel:

El miércoles 21 de diciembre a las 18 hs ., se llevará a cabo en Junín 477 una actividad que tiene como fin abordar desde la perspectiva histórica y actual la realidad de Papel Prensa.

La semana pasada, la Cámara de Diputados dio media sanción a la nueva ley que declara de interés público la fabricación, comercialización y distribución de pasta de celulosa y de papel para diarios. En tanto, esta semana, el Senado debatirá dicho proyecto.

En este marco La Cámpora realiza la charla “Papel Prensa o distribución de la palabra” que contará con la presencia de Daniel Cechhini, autor del libro Silencio por sangre. Este libro narra la historia de Papel Prensa y cómo Clarín se adueño de esta empresa.

That says that the gathering will take place today; that it will be about corruption in news media in Argentina; that the event is meant to coincide with their Senate's debate of a law recently passed by their House of Representatives that regulated the newspaper/news media industry, which would "be in the best interest of the public"; and that the event will feature a speaker named Daniel Cechhini, who wrote a book called Silenced by Blood.

So it sounds like this La Campora is an activist group that is targeting corruption in the news media by promoting a law that the Argentinian government may pass any day now...What does the law do?

The spirit of the law aims to change this reality that affects hundreds of newspapers across the country. With this new legal framework, provincial newspapers, especially smaller ones, have better conditions for acquiring the main input for the publication of information.

(That's an automated translation.)

I wonder who would be negatively affected by this law... Well, what's that book Silenced by Blood about?

Blood silence is an urgent book, the result of a long and thorough investigation, part of which was published by Looks to the South during the last year-still, but writing against the clock.
It aims to explain how, during the dictatorship, the owners and managers of the three most important newspapers of Argentina appropriated, in complicity with the terrorist state of the company that would allow them to monopolize the production of newsprint.

(They translate the title as "Blood silence." The dictatorship they're referring to was in Brazil in the 70's.)

Hmm.. Now it's getting interesting. Second post to come...

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

Thanks for adding all that info.

The fact that he was found naked is a tell tale sign that this was not a suicide. I can't imagine someone wanting themself to be found in a humiliating state after committing suicide. Doesn't make sense. Although, if he were killed, his murderers would have no problem leaving him to be humiliated after death.

I still believe that the President's state of mind plays into this whole scenario. How did she feel about the Youth Group? I apologize for not remembering their title. If she was for it and didn't want the papers to be controlled and monopolized, hindering her state of mind with a suicide knocks two birds out with one stone, right? If she isn't of sound mind to stop whatever is going to transpire, this would work in their favor. Especially if she were to step down against her wishes and another were to take her place who was for controlling the what was printed in the news.

I look forward to the other info you're preparing to post.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Yeah I read this article. Personally I believe my take on it rather than theirs.

She found out climate change is a scam, threatend to expose it and then was found dead in her room. This to me sounds far more accurate. Forgot to add, it has been said that you know when the endtimes are upon us when scientists start commiting harrykarry, (another word for being bumped off IMO)
edit on 21-12-2011 by TheMindWar because: Add info

edit on 21-12-2011 by TheMindWar because: Info change

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
So, it would be interesting if we could get from the bad guys in the book to Heyn. Let's try.

Before that though, how close is he with La Campora? Well, he's on the top of the front page of their website...

www.lacampora.org...

Now, back to the book. Here's what it's about in decent English:

Blood silence is an urgent book, the result of a long and thorough investigation, part of which was published by Looks to the South during the last year-still, but writing against the clock.
It aims to explain how, during the dictatorship, the owners and managers of the three most important newspapers of Argentina appropriated, in complicity with the terrorist state of the company that would allow them to monopolize the production of newsprint.
This maneuver was part ownership of the strategic alliance between the regime began on March 24, 1976 and representatives of economic groups the country’s largest media. Concentrated economic groups needed the military to eliminate the political and social dissidents opposed to their interests. Dictators, in turn, required not only a press silenced by censorship, but media complicit in their policies and actions. This mission is fulfilled Clarín, La Nación and La Razón and return, received a monopoly on newsprint, a sort of dictatorship against freedom of expression.
Between late 1976 and the first half of 1977, the Group Graiver was illegally deprived of Papel Prensa SA, in an operation which, beyond its political and economic motivations-stripped the fierce anti-Semitism of the military in power. To achieve its objectives, dictators used pressure, threats, kidnappings, disappearances, torture and murder. In parallel, and in full knowledge of the use of these instruments of state terrorism, "the owners of the three newspapers created a shell company for the sole purpose of keeping the shares of the heirs Newsprint and partners were forced David Graiver to deliver.

It's hard to know exactly what to make of that, but as far as I can tell, David Gravier was an accountant/money launderer for large criminal enterprises in Brazil in the 70's. He got mixed up in this deal between the newspaper giants and the government to monopolize the news media market in exchange for censoring news about the government.

So, who was David Gravier?

...Secretly, however, Graiver became the investment banker for the Montoneros guerrilla group. He reportedly laundered US$17 million in funds that the Montoneros had received from illicit activities, principally kidnapping.[5] These investments included a variety of interests in both Argentina and overseas, and by 1976, Graiver owned a significant stake in Jacobo Timerman's La Opinión (one of the leading newspapers and the leading magazine publisher in Argentina), the Galerías da Vinci retailer, as well as banks in Argentina (Comercial de La Plata and the Bank of Hurlingham), New York (American Bank and Trust and Century National Bank), Brussels (Banque pour l’Amérique du Sud), and Tel Aviv (Swiss-Israel Bank). These and other assets amounted to around US$ 200 million by then, and the Israeli intelligence service, Mossad, considered Graiver one of the three leading Jewish banking figures in Latin America (with José Klein, in Chile, and Edmond Safra, in Brazil).

en.wikipedia.org...

David supposedly died 1976 (although it was a plane crash which was never investigated and no body or flight recorder were ever found, so a lot people think it was faked). So, who got his shares in the newspaper conglomerates? After debts were paid, it went to his wife, Lidia Papaleo. She apparently tried to sell them and got a raw deal:

Papaleo and the other private partners negotiated the sale of their shares on November 2 with the three most important Argentine newspaper publishers at the time (Clarín, La Nación, and La Razón). Papaleo, however, had collected but U$S 7,000 when, on March 14, 1977, she was illegally detained by Buenos Aires Province Police Chief Detective Miguel Etchecolatz and the Commissioner, Ramón Camps.

The government later just took the rest of what she had:

The uncompleted Bristol Center and other Graiver family properties in Argentina were expropriated by Conarepa, the state entity formed to liquidate assets seized from political opponents. The private shareholders of Papel Prensa, including Graiver's widow, were indemnified by President Raúl Alfonsín's administration in 1985.

And this is when I found what I've been looking for:

Amid a series of political controversies between Clarín and Kirchnerism, Papaleo testified in 2010 to having been personally threatened by Clarín executive Héctor Magnetto during the sale, and subsequently tortured by the police to forfeit further payment, as well as her remaining shares in La Opinión.

A series of controversies between Claris and Kirchnerism? Cristina Kirchnerism, Heyn's boss?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

She wasn't hanged

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

I think this article was poorly written or written this way on purpose. I'm seeing that I'm not the only one who misread these two sentences. The info about the President being watched by a medical team should've been at the end of the article instead of where they placed it. Unless placing this info at the end would've brought too much attention to it seeing as humans usually remember the last thing they hear rather than the prior details and would find it too significant.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

Thank you.

More pieces of the puzzle and a much clearer picture. Seems mafia tactics are alive and well within the government and media publications.

It's interesting how many countries are experiencing problems within their news sources at the moment and we're learning more and more about how it's controlled and slanted.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It turns out, there's a whole wikipedia article about the beef between the Argentine media conglomerate Grupo Clarin, and Argentine President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner.

The Argentine media corporation Grupo Clarín and the government of Argentine President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner have been involved in a number of controversies since 2008. Kirchnerism (referring to the political philosophy and actions of Néstor Kirchner, President of Argentina, 2003–2007, and of his wife, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, President from 2007) considers that Grupo Clarín (a corporation working on television, radio, newspapers, cable services, Internet companies, and broadcast of Football in Argentina) have a policy of monopolization, while the Clarín media conglomerate considers that the acts of the government run contrary to freedom of speech. The controversies led to a number of bills sent by the government to the Argentine National Congress. The confrontation also led to many media sources reporting misleading information as demonstrated by independent analyst Carlos Escudé when he evaluated how different media sources reported on Hillary Clinton's visit to Buenos Aires.

Before the Kirchners' takeover, Grupo Clarín had a strong influence over Argentine politics. The group received criticism from other media company owners and from politicians. In the 1980s, César Jaroslavsky, a politician from the UCR, said "Beware of that newspaper. It attacks as a political party, and if you answer, it defends itself with press freedom".

en.wikipedia.org...

And Heyn was an undersecretary in the Ministry of the Economy in Kirchner's first term, before recently being promoted to undersecretary of Foreign Trade? So, he would be as deeply involved in the economic controversies between Clarin and the administration as anyone... Plus, he has a deeply anti-Clarin agenda if La Campora is any indication. They're literally protesting Clarin's influence in the newspaper industry right at this moment, and he was very prominent in their organization.

If I had to bet on a conspiracy, I would bet Grupo Clarin is behind this guy's death. I can't keep looking into this right now, but if anyone wants to play detective:

Review the controversies between Clarin and the administration: en.wikipedia.org...

See if there are any relevant wikileaks documents and translate the cited Argentine newspaper articles from the wikipedia article. Discover Heyn's involvement in the disputes. I bet that he has something to do with the news paper regulations being debated in the senate right now, or that he was going to do something at the conference that Clarin wouldn't have liked. He's in a position to damage Clarin, we know he opposes them, and we know that Lidia Papaleo testified that she was tortured into selling her shares of major newspapers to Clarin - shares that were bought with money from criminal cartels seeking to launder it through David Graiver.

Finally, the man Lidia Papaleo accused in her testimony of forcing her to sell the newspaper shares to Clarin is Hector Magnetto. He is the current CEO of the Clarin Group.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

Yeah, my bad I was thinking of another case but read this one as well, I check for dead scientists all the time on google
have changed it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join