Got Money? Then You Might Lack Compassion

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well its official....

The Rich Show Less Empathy than the Poor

Here is a study you will not find in the New Republic Magazine...but I think it is interesting and reveals a great deal at the same time. This was a relatively small study but the results are significant and in my view these results will be repeated no matter who conducts this type of test.

Pity the poor plutocrat. Politicians want to tax them, Occupy Wall Streeters mock them, 99% of their fellow citizens are mad at them (even if they secretly want to be one of them). Now comes word from the University of California, Berkeley, that is not likely to send their approval ratings any higher: a new study has confirmed that the richer you are the less compassionate you are — and don’t gloat, you upper-middle classers, that includes you too.

Stellar thus chose her subjects based on the income of the people who respond to the requests and write the checks: the parents.

When the numbers on these inventories were crunched, Stellar and her colleagues found no meaningful personality differences among the students that could be attributable to income except one: across the board, the lower the subjects’ family income, the higher their score on compassion.

So does this mean the rich really are the unfeeling boors the lower half say they are? Well yes — and no. A low score on the compassion scale doesn’t mean a lack of capacity for the feeling, Stellar argues. It may just mean a lack of experience observing — and tending to — the hardship others.

Here is a followup story with more research and more testing that takes this experiment one step further. It seems to reach the same conclusions.

The Rich Are Different. More Money, Less Empathy

Looking for empathy and support? You’re more likely to get it from a poor person than you are from a rich one, according to new research published in Psychological Science.

In a series of experiments, the new study found that lower-class people were better at reading emotions on others’ faces — one measure of what researchers call empathic accuracy — than people in the upper class.

This measure of empathic accuracy — “a person’s ability to accurately read emotions that other people are feeling,” says Kraus — is important because it is a key part of empathy itself: if you can’t recognize what someone else is going through, it’s hard to respond with kindness to their needs.

My feeling about these results - I already knew this. I did not know there was data and experimentation to support it. I know there will be many people who disagree and it is good that they should. Let us have a healthy and empathetic debate.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
My opinion is this, Those who have money and are compasionate don't have their wealth for very long. these people realize that they don't need a giant fortune so they use what they don't need to help those less fortunate. No one person should hold a large amount of wealth and consider themselve a good human. How can the rich hold large amounts of wealth and keep it all to themselves? one answer, they are phsycopaths who only care obout their own self interests and their own lives. Pathetic if you ask me. I am a disabled veteran living on a fixed income and i give more money away than most who make five times as much as me. As long as i have a roof over my head, food on the table, chlothes on my back, and most importantly, being able to provide for my daughter that is all i need. I despise money for what it its and what it does to people, exspecially americans. It makes me sick to see what our country has become. Most of all, it will continue to be this way until we doe something about it.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This falls right in line with 7 of the top 10 richest Congressmen are Democrats. They have been destroying poor people for over a century.

Interestingly, there was a study done recently that said that Republicans historically give more to charity than Democrats.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
All I know is, every job in the past I have had based on tips, the bigger the house I delivered to, the more I got stiffed out of a tip. Valet parked once, see a beat up truck and then a mercedes, grab that truck cause that is where your tip is coming from. I think the rich think they are entitled for your services since they are "better than you". Not all rich folks are bad, but 95+ % of the ones I have delt with are scum.

U

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I'm not Religious or believe the Bible holds any truth, but one thing does seem to make sense that Jesus said....

“I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
This falls right in line with 7 of the top 10 richest Congressmen are Democrats. They have been destroying poor people for over a century.

Interestingly, there was a study done recently that said that Republicans historically give more to charity than Democrats.

/TOA

I think they HAVE to for the tax write off.
Congressmen do not make up the world, they are a fairly insignificant part of it and when these 7 have enough money they too will switch to the Republican side because the GOP IS OLD MONEY. I am not saying there is not clear corruption and bribery on both sides but when you are talking about zeros well then I think you are talking grand old party. The republicans work to prop up and befriend the moneyed.
There is no crime in that what so ever. Someone has to represent big business and the wealthy in this country but I prefer it be a lobby outside of actual government and not my elected politician.

But when you can BUY a politician that is what you will get.
I can't say I blame anyone for who they are. People need to own it. This isn't about blame but choosing a system that is not only fair and equitable as possible on every level but one that actually works. So far there has never been such a system though I will admit the Republic came closest.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I'm not Religious or believe the Bible holds any truth, but one thing does seem to make sense that Jesus said....

“I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

Which is why I use that passage as my personal ID on another site.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
My opinion is this, Those who have money and are compasionate don't have their wealth for very long. these people realize that they don't need a giant fortune so they use what they don't need to help those less fortunate. No one person should hold a large amount of wealth and consider themselve a good human. How can the rich hold large amounts of wealth and keep it all to themselves? one answer, they are phsycopaths who only care obout their own self interests and their own lives. Pathetic if you ask me. I am a disabled veteran living on a fixed income and i give more money away than most who make five times as much as me. As long as i have a roof over my head, food on the table, chlothes on my back, and most importantly, being able to provide for my daughter that is all i need. I despise money for what it its and what it does to people, exspecially americans. It makes me sick to see what our country has become. Most of all, it will continue to be this way until we doe something about it.

First let me thank you for your service to this country - damaged as she may be.
I was reading a thread of yours earlier and have to say I definitely agree and I think you might get people to stand up and be counted for a change. You are inspirational and I'm urging you to run for a local office if that is possible. People should gravitate to what they do best and you can get people on board with a message.

To be fair, I have heard of enough beneficent and honorable wealthy people of excellent character and reputation who are empathetic for the poor and less fortunate. Enough of them to know they exist....not quite as rare as the Unicorn but sighted as frequently as perhaps the Lock Ness Monster.

People in office should know what they are in favor of as well as they know what they are against and I think that is in large part our problem. We are all against this or that but no one is FOR anything. Since BO's speeches there hasn't been anyone out there with an inspirational message to follow. We all know what we DON'T want but few people have an answer to replace what we have now. If it is true power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely I have 2 words, TERM LIMITS. All politicians with above a certain income bracket should recuse themselves because there is no way they can fight for the rights and interests of the POOR. Nor should they be expected to. Everyone has a right for self preservation and the rich are entitled to fight for themselves which is fine - but THEY SHOULD NOT BE POLITICIANS when a majority now in this country are classified as poor. Your politicians should represent.

And IMO Something like a vow of poverty and allegiance to the common good without exception should be demanded/required of our politicians. I am not saying starve them but a public servant should not be richer than the public he or she serves. I don't care how "smart" or how shrewd they were to acquire that wealth.
I am immediately suspect. Also in favor of rigorous and strict term limits and think everyone should be on a trial or probationary period so they can be bounced out of office if "the people" are tricked by deceptive advertising and promotion into making a bad choice. They do it with every other job. And drug test them as well.

This should cut way back on corrupt politicians and offer us people who are in the business of government because they feel it is their civic duty and not because they are swindling the people out of their hard earned incomes.

edit on 21-12-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by USarmyFL
All I know is, every job in the past I have had based on tips, the bigger the house I delivered to, the more I got stiffed out of a tip. Valet parked once, see a beat up truck and then a mercedes, grab that truck cause that is where your tip is coming from. I think the rich think they are entitled for your services since they are "better than you". Not all rich folks are bad, but 95+ % of the ones I have delt with are scum.

U

That's interesting you know because I notice that too. The people who literally have the most and you know they do are always the cheapest because everyone finds themselves saying That is how they got so rich. They were uncharitable and miserly all their lives. I know a man who is pained to give anything and even resents others giving. This man (and I have seen this in action) will try to convince the giver that HE himself might welcome this charity they have planned for another. My grandson has always been asking for one of those when he sees you with the Toys for Tots present you planned to donate. I kid you not. Another woman was a real dynamo donating her time to our local VFW. This guy talked her into giving that up to run errands for him, leading her on like he was also interested and might want to date her and she was in line for management. The woman naturally went above and beyond for him until she caught on to his scam. When no relationship or "compensation" was forth coming and she finally guesses none is going to he ends up paying her in food.
Same businessman employer takes full advantage of hard times and so neither reports or pays for worked hours effectively stealing time and Christmas money from many other women with children. Same slime ball makes his Chef work like Bob Cratchet, 6 days a week 12pm-12am without overtime because jobs are hard to find. If this chef doesn't pull the load at that price, there are people who will and he has a running ad in Craigs list. Meanwhile the chef - poor with 4 kids and 2 dogs himself, does benefits for his children's school and same slimeball makes him pay for the use of the kitchen to do it!!! You might say report him to the Labor Dept. They are aware and he has had stacks of complaints from people who were never paid after putting in a days work. The Labor Dept does not care. ATF does not care he buys all his booze at the market, moldy bottles of name brands are filled with cheap whiskey and charges double other places due to he will belt out a few Sinatra tunes and claims to have entertainment.
He meanwhile is a single man, heating and cooling a giant house, with housekeepers, 2 cars, regular manicures and pedicures, handymen, laundress and has the restaurant chef make meals for his house.

His feeling is all those he employs are fortunate he is in a position to hire them.
He sincerely believes he is a great man and you would think he is quite magnanimous if you met him once and did not go by rumors. I am a humble man, he will say...do not brag about my wealth, 2 cars, maids and groomers... but it is really so he can get the bands he does have to play for half their going rate, convincing them he is going through hard times too, we all are he will say. I would like to hire you but. Or worse, why not audition tonight and we'll see how it goes. If you ask for pay it will not have gone well at all for him.
He is a disgusting piece of human refuse.

Is he typical?
Unfortunately to a certain extent I am afraid so.
At least it feels like it when I look around these days.

Sure, I admit I know some wealthy people who are considerate and decent human beings and this does not always amount to meaning generous - it just means awareness and caring.
Some people give not a penny of their own money - but they GIVE all of their time.
I knew a nun like that once who had a twin sister also a nun and they were doing nothing but helping the poor to survive from sunup well into the night stopping only for food and prayer. Those 2 are long gone now. RIP
Too bad the good die young and the wicked seem to go on forever without a care in the world. Makes you wonder.

edit on 21-12-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum