It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with new website.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Hello Web-Savy ATSers.

I find myself in a quandary. I really could use some expert advice, and found this forum.

I have a small home based business, making hand made natural products. Goats Milk Soap, and Shea Butter are the backbone of my line. I did purchase a domain, and have it *parked* awaiting the next phase.

I live in a very rural area in the Mountains of N. Ga. U.S.A. Yep, me and my goats

It's over an hours drive to civilization, and web design is a foreign language up here. I need help.

Here is my site. www.spacreationsbybritt.com...

I have my company identity established through sales. Meaning, product continuity, reputation, right down to labeling and packaging. I don't want to change any of that. My clients like it all.

But now it's time to take the next step. Too many clients are asking to be able to buy my products online. I need to take this step, as I spend way too much time on phone orders as it is.

What do you recommend for shopping carts. I prefer to only use Paypal, as they handle all the credit card orders.
I do have a MC and Visa merchant account, but would rather simplify with Paypal only.

Also, what is the most user friendly format for customers. I'm at a loss, any input is greatly appreciated.

ETA: I don't have a store, I work out of my home. I've built my business by doing Craft Fairs, and word of mouth. Repeat customers are my main income. I've turned down several retail health supplement stores, as my pricing is too reasonable to factor in their wholesale pricing requests. Guess that's why I have happy clients.

Should the wild card aspect of online shopping, be of any concern?

Thank You

Des
edit on 21-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Paypal can handle all your needs shopping cart needs. Including credit card orders.
Google Checkout is also a viable alternative.
Just remember they each charge you a fee.

As for website. Since you are not very familiar I will suggest going with a content management system of some sort.
There are many to choose from. I would look into wordpress. It's easy to install and there are tons of themes for it to choose from.
wordpress.com...
You can choose to host your own or I think you can point your domain name to their servers.

And this is just one suggestion. there are tons of things you can choose from. But at least you can test drive this one to see if you like it.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Hi,

PM me and I can help. This is what I do for a living. I am a corporate identity consultant. Too many variables to list here in a post. Let's talk.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Thank You Grey for your reply. I fully expect to pay a fee. I did my domain through godaddy, and signed up for an extended time for the price break. I plan on using their hosting, and paid for it.

Presentation of content is most important to me. It must reflect my business image. So, flashy eye popping is out of the question.

So, you think the paypal shopping cart is the way to go. I'll check it out.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MightyQuincunx

Hi,

PM me and I can help. This is what I do for a living. I am a corporate identity consultant. Too many variables to list here in a post. Let's talk.

Hello Mighty. I have corporate identity all established, as far as logo, business cards, labeling, bags, tissue, stationary...most of my packaging. All incorporated in my established color scheme. As I said in my OP, my clients love the complete package, It makes them feel good about their purchase.

What did you have further in mind, regarding corporate identity? I'm really interested in your input.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Yesss yew dewwww. PM me if you need graphics help

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo
Yesss yew dewwww. PM me if you need graphics help

LOL you must have gone to my new site. You are right. I dew need help.

Thanks,

Des

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Free shopping cart sofware for Joomla!

virtuemart.net...

Install it, set up your categories, add product images, paypal built in!

easy!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
i would definitely get that owner login out of the front page...its simply asking for trouble...
, but since you have parked your domain at go daddy your more or less there. Next time surf the web and check out various hosting sites that supply site design. such as :

www.webs.com...

they are there for people who aren't that savy and are simply start ups. Look forward to viewing your site,

CA
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
edit on 21-12-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
Free shopping cart sofware for Joomla!

virtuemart.net...

Install it, set up your categories, add product images, paypal built in!

easy!

Thank You Rough...I went to the link, signed up for their newsletter, and was directed to this page....

My German sucks, so I didn't download the software to try it out.

Geben Sie den gewünschten Spendenbetrag ein, und klicken Sie auf Summe neu berechnen.
Zweck Spende
Betrag Summe
Virtuemart € €

€ EUR
Details anzeigen
Spenden Sie jetzt mit PayPalZahlungen mit PayPal

Mit PayPal tätigen Sie ganz einfach eine Spende an [email protected]. Im letzten Schritt erhalten Sie einen Spendenbeleg von uns.

Alle Vorteile mit PayPal auf einen Blick:

Sicher: Ihre Bankdaten sind nur bei PayPal hinterlegt.
Einfach: Sie bezahlen mit zwei Klicks.
Schnell: PayPal-Zahlungen treffen schnell beim Verkäufer ein.
Kostenlos: Das Bezahlen ist bei PayPal immer kostenlos.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
i would definitely get that owner login out of the front page...its simply asking for trouble...
, but sine you have parked your domain at go daddy your more or less there. Next time surf the web and check out various hosting sites that supply site design. such as :

Wow...wasn't even aware of that...I'm such a web-noob. TY for the heads up. I'll deal with it asap.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Des

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
You can make any type of site with wordpress, get yourself a cool template (skin) like these

You can also get all types of plugins to give wordpress all types of functionality, including shopping cart functionality..

Most shopping cart plugins have paypal functionality.

You can also use a regular shopping cart like osCommerce or some of these

A quick solution for you runs about $150- $250 (ATS price) if you want to set everything up for you with wordpress which is the easiest one to get rolling and fast to boot.

I can even set you up with a "text" notification system where you can text your clients directly @ their cellphones all at once when you have new products, news, discount codes/coupons etc right from your own website

Best thing is that wordpress is really easy to use/update once you get the hang of it with some quick cool videos...

You can also do all of it yourself for free except your learning curve.

Anyway, just a PM away if you need any help

Greenovni

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
All you need to do is set up a subdomain like:

www.shop.spacreationsbybritt.com a lot of websites do this.

Install Joomla! (also free) onto that subdomain www.joomla.org...

BTW Joomla! is great for building sites without needing any coding knowledge.

Then install virtua mart set everything up and your done, could easily be done in 2 hours.

Oh and I'm a Joomla! developer you can get my extensions here:

networkconnected.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
All you need to do is set up a subdomain like:

www.shop.spacreationsbybritt.com a lot of websites do this.

Install Joomla! (also free) onto that subdomain www.joomla.org...

BTW Joomla! is great for building sites without needing any coding knowledge.

Then install virtua mart set everything up and your done, could easily be done in 2 hours.

Oh and I'm a Joomla! developer you can get my extensions here:

networkconnected.co.uk...

lol i was on your site the other day, nice extensions you have there, am going to use one or two of them for another project that landed in my lap late last night. So ill reach out to you via your forums.

edit: p.s. you know you have a 404 under your virtual examples and i swear it wasnt me, i sql after midnight so i swear it wasnt me

CA
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
edit on 21-12-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Paypal is good. They have alot of features.

And I would take up a few of the guys that posted up on their offers to help.
The prices quoted are very reasonable.

Good luck with the site.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Cheers for that I didn't know!

Fixed it now!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Glad i was able to help mate

Ill register on your site and pm you through there, perhaps i can throw some work down your way regarding site building domain hosting, basically what services can you offer and im sure ill keep you more than buzy

CA

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

You should sell your stuff on Etsy.com
You can direct your URL to your Etsy shop.
I make and sell graphics on Etsy (business cards, shop banners, etc etc)......Im also an avid customer.

the fees are very very minimal and you dont need to set up a personalized website and store....it is all right there!

you reach an international base and your products are more likely to be seen and bought on Etsy than just a website were you are not directing traffic to it.....

If you have any questions on using Etsy, just ask!

edit on December 21st 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

You should sell your stuff on Etsy.com
You can direct your URL to your Etsy shop.
I make and sell graphics on Etsy (business cards, shop banners, etc etc)......Im also an avid customer.

the fees are very very minmal and you dont need to set up a personalized website and store....it is all right there!

you reach an international base and your products are more likely to be seen and bought on Etsy than just a website were you are not directing traffic to it.....

If you have any questions on using Etsy, just ask!

:
edit on December 21st 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

no thats what i call support....apart form support were else are you going to find such a hot mod with green eyes.....sheez..i need to get my jet fueled and ready for a quick trip to the u.k....btw...green..which airport should i land @

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
hi, ive just started my own site as well and i used Basekit, which is one of the easiest ways to design your site. it uses text and image boxes which you drag to where you want on the page. Very easy and means you can get the site exactly as you want. they also have ecommerce facilities too.
you have 14 days free trial too before you part with any cash. www.basekit.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join