It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney is a de facto Racist --- the facts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
With the now panicked Republican mainstream attempting to smear Ron Paul in an effort to save their collective hide I thought it was important to lay all the cards on the table. So here they are:

Mitt Romney is a practicing racist. Mitt is a member of the Mormon Church (Church of Latter Day Saints). According to his Wikipedia entry, Mr Romney:

...a sixth-generation member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
and that

Romney went to public elementary schools and then from seventh grade on, attended Cranbrook School in Bloomfield Hills, a private boys preparatory school of the classic mold where he was the lone Mormon...

So we can establish that he has been a member of the church from a young age.

Joseph Smith founded the church in 1830 and was a supporter of slavery. source

In that source you'll learn that:

Following the death of Joseph Smith, Jr., Mormon leaders beginning with Brigham Young instituted a policy of excluding most people of black African descent (regardless of actual skin color) from Priesthood ordination and from participation in temple ceremonies.
These policies continued until 1978 when the church leadership had a 'revelation' and 'officially' ended the policy.

So, the upshot is, Mitt Romney and 5 generations of his family before him belonged to a church that had officially accepted and promulgated racist policies. Mitt remained a member into his adulthood (age 31) when the church policies were abandoned. So, given all the mud slinging going on right now, if you belong to a church that has policies that are clearly racist does that not make you a racist?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Interesting. Thanks for posting

Ron Paul is putting his life and his family life on the line for the US citizen, the least people can do is vote forthe guy

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

I understand your thinking, but isn't it a little broad? I mean, Planned Parenthood was founded by Margaret Sanger, who believed that Blacks were inferior. If we apply your thinking to Planned Parenthood we would have to say they are racist, too.

Maybe you can come up with another way of showing Romney is a racist. I'm not sure your argument here is the best possible.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I have to agree. Romney's past could infer that he may be a racist, but it is not proof of such a claim.

Even if we could prove he was a racist, I don't think it would make a difference to the GOP at this point.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

To me it makes no diffrence. Non members will come on this site, read the title and leave again. This is why people are posting dodgy titles attacking RP.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

when the church policies were abandoned.

So?? He is a member of a church that had some negative policies in it's archaic section and those have long since been abandoned. I'm just not seeing where he is a 'racist' at all. (and no - I'm not a Romney fan).

You could do the same thing with nearly every protestant in this country. ALL protestant churches had as a rule that birth control was immoral and that you'd go to hell for it. People did what they wanted anyways and so they all abandoned the archaic teachings on birth control. Does that mean that every protestant who is 50 years old or older, is guilty of mysogyny because they belong to a church that used to have as a rule - 'no birth control'???

If you want to complain about a GOP'r and their strange church beliefs, then Michelle Bachmann is the way to go. She belongs to a church that thinks the world is 6,000 years old and that the pope is the Anti-Christ. She pulled an 'obama' ... when she started running for office she 'quit' the church so she could claim to have distanced herself from it. Just like what Obama did with his (blame the white man for everything) Black Liberation Theology cult ... neither stopped believing what was being preached, but instead make a big show of allegedly breaking from it.

But Romney racist ... no ... I'm not seeing it.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
By your logic...all Americans are racist because we belong to a country that has a very racist past.

I guess we are all sexist and homophobic as well...you know...because the country we belong to has a past of it.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
By your logic...all Americans are racist because we belong to a country that has a very racist past.

I guess we are all sexist and homophobic as well...you know...because the country we belong to has a past of it.

^5 this

I believe people should be able to practice their religion, seriously...........attacks like this are whats wrong with the political process....

Enough............

Leave peoples families out of it, leave their religion out of it

Want to attack them, attack their policies, attack their voting records, attack their political history.......

The rest is playground bullcrap...........

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Well isn't this interesting...

All Ron Paul supporters should know how it feels to be assumed that you're a racist.

I don't know if this thread is a satire of the Ron Paul racism threads but I, for the most part, grew up in a Buddhist Temple where I agreed with the philosophies but not the 'prayer'. That being said, my Temple (or Church) did not and does not fully represent me but has played a role in who I am today.

We cannot just assume Romney is a racist because of his attendance at a Church.

He hasn't said anything that has led me to believe he is so until then, he is innocent until proven guilty.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Sadly, racism is still alive and thriving because people have kept it alive. "White guilt" is alive and kicking because we keep hearing about all the bad things our ancestors did. I would venture to say that a large portion of our country wants to keep it alive by re-iterating it over and over.

As for the Mormons, well..... Let's recap this while we're all in the spirit of things.

edit on 21-12-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Most of the counter arguments are based upon belonging to a group where some racist (or other objectionable policy) existed. In this case, the LDS church had an official, stated policy of excluding people of African decent (not just based upon skin color). And no, this wasn't something from their 'archaic past'. This was the official edict up until September 1978 when God apparently had a change of heart and told the LDS elders to chage the policy. Mitt Romney, and five generations before him, was an active member of the church providing financial support. He could have left the church.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
OH dear god.

Please make it stop.

You guys do know about Rev. Wright, yes?
edit on 023131p://bWednesday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

So that means the black people who are Mormons are racist too???

Thats basically what you are saying......

Or did you think this was a white only church.......surely you have more foresight then that

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I'm glad you mentioned Rev. Wright. Trying to paint Romney as a racist because of his religion is just as disingenuous as the tactics used by the Right towards Obama because of Rev. Wright.

Both are insulting to the intelligence and simply wrong.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Rev. Wright's views were abhorrent but they were his personal opinions and views not an official policy/edict of the church as was the case with the LDS church. If someone was a member of the Westboro Baptist Church would that not speak to that person's personal beliefs? I obviously can't speak to the POV of any black Mormons prior to 1978, I can only attest to the church's doctrine and the implication of someone supporting a church with those teachings.

The church has never kept official records on the race of its membership, so exact numbers of black members are unknown. Black people have been members of Mormon congregations since its foundation, but before 1978 its black membership was small. It has since grown, and in 1997, there were approximately 500,000 black members of the church (about 5% of the total membership), mostly in Africa, Brazil and the Caribbean. Black membership has continued to grow substantially, especially in West Africa, where two temples have been built. In the United States, 3% of members are black.

source

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

But you are saying that because of the church he is in, hes racist........

So are the black people in the mormon church racist too?

The implications for HIM would be the same as it would be for THEM

Sooo....Answer the question and quit trying to argue in circles....

Its a pretty straight forward question
edit on 21-12-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Argue in circles? Yes, if you support an organization with official, promulgated racist policies then by extension I believe you are a racist. You will note that prior to the LDS church reversing their policies in 1978 there were few members of African decent. Although their ranks have increased they still make-up a pretty small percentage of the demography of the church. So clearly, people of African descent aren't overly inclined to join the LDS church --- and that is especially true prior to the policy reversal in 1978. Why do you think that might be?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I am not sure how to imbed a link here since this is only my third time replying, but i think this video shows the values he was raised with. This was a cartoon for the Mormon kids to watch is church, so you be the judge.
style="height: 390px; width: 640px"> "http://www.youtube.com/v/7q6brMrFw0E?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360">

Enjoy, now tell me Ron Paul is racist...
Ron Paul 2012!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'm really sick of hearing this term "racist" flung around.
Do any of you know what you are saying when you use this term?
What exactly does it mean to you?
Do you think it means the same for everyone?

And if this guy is "racist", so what?
And "racist" according to whom?
Does that somehow make him an e-vile bad person?
Is he or is he not allowed to have his personal preferences?

No, I'm not a Romney supporter.

new topics

top topics

join