It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Keystone pipeline Why are we building a pipeline for oil companies?

page: 1
5
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Why are goverment dollars being used to build a pipeline for oil companies. This pipeline is being installed to make the tar sands oil extraction profitable. So why do we have to foot the bill. It isn't for energy independence in the USA.The oil is going into refineries in texas and can be sold on the open market to the highest bidder. That could be China or anyone else. How is that energy independent for the USA?

Giant oil corporations invested in Canada's tar sands are counting on the Keystone XL pipeline to make the expansion of oil extraction operations profitable

Also, why isn't this brought up by any of our officials or the news outlets. I don't think I'm wrong on this but it seems the debate is about the wrong subject.




posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
here's a reason.....reduce America's dependence on middle-eastern oil..they could have built hundreds of these pipelines for what they spent on wars.



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I guess the same reason they build roads and rail for private business. I think it's called crony capitalism and it infects the USA to the core.



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by wrathchild
here's a reason.....reduce America's dependence on middle-eastern oil..they could have built hundreds of these pipelines for what they spent on wars.

Exactly my thoughts too. Agreed



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
tar sands is an ecological nightmare and certainly isn't a good economic model. The us has oil. Plenty of oil. They dont need tar sands.



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
I guess the same reason they build roads and rail for private business. I think it's called crony capitalism and it infects the USA to the core.

It doesn't benefits us if they sell it to Japan or china which they can. Middle east oil accounts for 18% of US oil



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
the pipeline will be paid for with oil company money, NO government money is being asked for or used on this project. The US government (Obama) just needs to ok the permits. The route was selected by the EPA



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The governments are willing to help pay for the pipelines because they profit off the sales via royalties. It is the governments that want it refined inside NAFTA to maximize their royalty profits. Refineries are already built in Texas to handle heavy crude from Venezuela. Existing pipelines are not.

As for oil sand profitability, already profitable or nobody would be there.



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I don't understand the urgent need to build this pipe line all the way to Texas.

Would it not be better and create more jobs just like that part matters, to build a refinery in Canada.

It is after all their dirt they are talking about moving.



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
If the US drops off the pipeline map . There are other players willing to take up their place in investing in the oil sands and pipeline , just in a different direction . www.ey.com...



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by watchdog8110
 



Yeah that article foreshadows the future of China selling Canada's oil to the US for huge profits...

I tell ya, China is going to beat the US in the end without ever drawing their sword...

Like previously mentioned and asked, why doesn't Canada build big refineries up there in the area to refine the oil sands crude into end user products rather than pipelining the crude to existing facilities on the other end of the continent?



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by hdutton
 


Already happening, but it takes time. Lots of time.

To be honest though, the best thing to happen to Canada was the US delay.

10 new projects (refineries and upgraders) were given the go ahead for immediate construction starts, after all certification, engineering, etc is complete.

That alone has bumped up the profit schedule for the province by a decade or more.



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronDogg
reply to post by watchdog8110
 



Yeah that article foreshadows the future of China selling Canada's oil to the US for huge profits...

I tell ya, China is going to beat the US in the end without ever drawing their sword...

Like previously mentioned and asked, why doesn't Canada build big refineries up there in the area to refine the oil sands crude into end user products rather than pipelining the crude to existing facilities on the other end of the continent?


They need to build those refineries and put people back to being productive in Canadian society . Not having steel mills bought out or gone bankrupt by some agenda to ease some big corp manipulation of what goes on across the borders .



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jlafleur02
 


Who says "WE" are building it for the oil companies?
How much are "WE" paying?
Who are "WE" paying to do the work?
AFSCME?
SEIU?
AFL-CIO?

Your thread could've included the opening sentence of the propaganda, but that would've made it either awkward or hypocritical:


The Canadian oil and gas company TransCanada hopes to begin building a new oil pipeline that would trek close to 2,000 miles from Alberta, Canada to Texas.

www.foe.org...

Would you prefer we get our fuel from the Saudis? China?
edit on 21-12-2011 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The link is to a crap environmentalist website. There are no government funds being used to build the pipeline. As a matter of fact the US Government has no business even being involved in the pipeline. Obama is just using it as a revenue generator for his campaign funds. The Environmentalists are donating to him, trying to get him to stop the pipeline, while the oil companies are donating to him, trying to get him to allow the pipeline.



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
reply to post by jlafleur02
 


Who says "WE" are building it for the oil companies?
How much are "WE" paying?
Who are "WE" paying to do the work?
AFSCME?
SEIU?
AFL-CIO?

Your thread could've included the opening sentence of the propaganda, but that would've made it either awkward or hypocritical:


The Canadian oil and gas company TransCanada hopes to begin building a new oil pipeline that would trek close to 2,000 miles from Alberta, Canada to Texas.

www.foe.org...

Would you prefer we get our fuel from the Saudis? China?
edit on 21-12-2011 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

That what I was asking are "we" paying for it? Were can i find the actual bill language. You don't have to be rude like I was misleading people. Response like that make me wonder how d bag still have teeth



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
The link is to a crap environmentalist website. There are no government funds being used to build the pipeline. As a matter of fact the US Government has no business even being involved in the pipeline. Obama is just using it as a revenue generator for his campaign funds. The Environmentalists are donating to him, trying to get him to stop the pipeline, while the oil companies are donating to him, trying to get him to allow the pipeline.


That was a good response and I appreciate it. I thought the goverment was paying for it with all the hype surrounding it.
Thank you



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Funny thing about Environmentalists be it oil or trees . They drive to the protest sites and sleep in the wooden built homes . Just sayin .

When they spiked the trees prior to going to the mills and met the saw blades , could of killed someone from ripping the teeth out . How many oil pipe lines have been damaged due to some crack pot having a beef with big industry ?

Each party has an agenda .Sad days .

edit on 21-12-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Think I may have described the eastern slopes of the Rockies looking like a pin cushion with all the wells they will have to drill for the supply demand thing . Could of been on a similar thread .



posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
ok so I found an article about the project it says its the permit that is getting approved. Amazing about all the hype and coverage on a pipeline. On a side note I would think that this is a state matter not federal. I would support this but that is without looking into the enviromental impact.
permit article




top topics



 
5
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join