It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South American Trading Block (Mercosur) Agree to Block British Soverign Flagged Vessels into their P

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
In the end, the Brazilian diplomacy will solve this problem. Again. As always...

Don't expect a war when you have Brazil involved.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
British Empire have so much blood on their hands that will fill Atlantic Ocean twice. Modern new US Empire is small child comparing to British Empire.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

I am a little ignorant to south American politics, can you please expand a little on what you mean by that so I can grasp some understanding of your statement. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
British Empire have so much blood on their hands that will fill Atlantic Ocean twice. Modern new US Empire is small child comparing to British Empire.

I don't think you will find anybody denying that the British when under the Empire did some pretty bad things. However people also have to understand that this is history and the purpetrators of those evils are long gone. This should have no bearing on the state of the Faulklands because as it stands the population of the faulklands strongly choose to be self governed under British Soverignty and that is the way it should stay if we live in a democratic world.

link   

Originally posted by GLontra
In the end, the Brazilian diplomacy will solve this problem. Again. As always...

Don't expect a war when you have Brazil involved.

I wouldn't expect a war when you have the financial institutions in London sorting out the Argentine debt problems.

Tho I am sure a nice bit of diplomacy from Brazil would be welcomed all round

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by GLontra

I am a little ignorant to south American politics, can you please expand a little on what you mean by that so I can grasp some understanding of your statement. Thanks.

Brazilian diplomacy is always very pragmatic and cold-headed. They always find a way to solve problems in a peaceful way. From what I know, if it wasn't for Brazil, Colombia would be at war with Venezuela or Ecuador already.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Twiptwop
Yeah yeah, we are the most evil on earth, so much blood, blah blah blah.

You're just jealous that your country isn't even fit to lick our shoe leather and your people are a lower class of individual.

I was not talking about British people

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000

Yeah yeah, we are the most evil on earth, so much blood, blah blah blah.

You're just jealous that your country isn't even fit to lick our shoe leather and your people are a lower class of individual.

I was not talking about British people

Well quite clearly you were. It's a part of our history, and something I am extremely proud of.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

reply to post by GLontra

Brazilian diplomacy is always very pragmatic and cold-headed. They always find a way to solve problems in a peaceful way. From what I know, if it wasn't for Brazil, Colombia would be at war with Venezuela or Ecuador already.

There is no problem to be solved. The Falkland Islands are British, and not one single inch of that land should ever be ceded to the Argentinian pirates. If they want to square up over it again, I would absolutely welcome them to make the first move, and absolutely welcome our military taking the fight to the skies over Buenos Aries.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

If Mexico were to request Calafornia back, would you sanction a Military operation to stop that from happening?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

reply to post by GLontra

There is no problem to be solved. The Falkland Islands are British, and not one single inch of that land should ever be ceded to the Argentinian pirates. If they want to square up over it again, I would absolutely welcome them to make the first move, and absolutely welcome our military taking the fight to the skies over Buenos Aries.

This is how the redneck thinks.

Diplomacy is not for rednecks.

And you are how the weak thinks. Argentina has absolutely NO historical connections to those islands, and are attempting to bully us into giving them something they are not entitled to whatsoever. They need to be reminded of this fact, if that means a few well timed practice launches of Trident from the Falklands then so be it. It's like France demanding access to the Isle of White.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The direction this thread has taken is utterly ridiculous. By all modern determinants, the Islands are British.

The sovereignty issue is hugely complex and controversial. en.wikipedia.org... It is unlikely to ever be particularly resolved satisfactorily. There are too may competing claims from too many sources. It was variously claimed by the Spanish, British and Argentina. It was settled (and sometimes abandoned) by the French, British and Spanish.

The islands were simply too remote and desolate to particularly be controlled by any of the various empires prior to the permanent British settlements.

The Spanish claim goes back to a papal decree dividing the new world up between Spain and Portugal. The Argentine claim relates back to this decree. Upon its formation, Argetina laid claim to all Spanish new world territories as the heir to the empire. Thus rendering all subsequent retorts of the British being evil imperialists moot and inherently hypocritical.

In terms of modern determination, which is by far the most important element, the supreme issue is of self-determination. The simple truth is, the people of the islands overwhelmingly wish to be British. The irony is that prior to the 1982 war, the British Home Office were desperate to be rid of the islands and turn them over to the Argentinians but were unable to convince the Islanders to accept.

The basis for the dissolution of all of the recent great empires has been national self-determination. The Falklands has been the one case where national self determination has resulted in a colony remaining as a dominion of Britain. Hence there is really nothing we can do. To turn it over to the Argentinians would be to turn our backs upon a population of people who are for all intents and purposes, British; and wish to remain so. Would it be any different to turning Wales over to a foreign power.

Legally, the United Nations Convention on the Law Of the Sea (UNCLOS) is the most important element. Territorial waters extend only 12 miles from the baseline. Nowhere near the Islands which lie over 300 miles off the coast.

Were Spain to claim tomorrow that they are upholding their claims to South America, the world community would laugh and tell them to take a running jump. The same should be done to the Argentines. Argentina has a history of being anti-british since the rule of Peron and likes to sabre-rattle about the Falklands every time they have domestic problems to divert attention. The fishing boats will simply go to Chile instead.

As an aside, to ascribe what is essentially, any and all deaths in India to the British dominion is inherently ridiculous. No one denies that the empire was responsible for many, many deaths in dominion territories, but if you look into the way that Britain has always governed its territories, especially India, the crown jewel of the empire, it was done in a way that required inherent co-operation from the indigenous people. The vast majority of massacres were commited by Mahratta chieftains and sepoy soldiers. Britain maintained only a tiny standing army within the territories.

The post attributing every death in the Pacific theatre of WW2 to Winston Churchill is just as ludicrous.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesyleps

At last some logic and some information on the original topic. Thank you and I would flag your post if I could but you have a star good sir.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Have all the mods gone on holiday now or something?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
i cannot be arsed reading the trainwreck that this thread is turning into , but getting back on topic

the facts of the case

a south american alliance has barred falkland island flagged vessels from entry into thier ports

these falkland island vessels are almost all fishing vessels

the falklands ecconnomic zone has vast fish stocks

the falklands island demand for fish is miniscule

the closest ` viable ` markets for falklands fish are [ assuming the ban continues ] chile , and south africa - both of whom have booming domestic fisheries

the solution :

increase the size of the falklands fishing fleet [ drawing laid up boats from brittish fishing ports ]

build canneries and processing plants on the falklands

ship the entire falklands catch [ less the requirments of the falklanders and british garrison ] back to britain

thus supplying the UK with fish , putting bittish trawlermen back to work and conserving UK fish stocks - allowing conservattion and stock recovery

yes it is viable - as we currently import tinned sardines from south africa as a viable ecconomic import

edit on 21-12-2011 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Brilliant

Love the idea

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

Your 'facts' are spurious, no-one the denies the brutallity of the British Empire, or any Empire for that matter, but the figures you quote make no sense. Perhaps you mean 1.8 Million or 18 million, not 1.8 billion as the Earth population at the time was 1 billion, this is concept you fail to grasp :-)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Excellent idea :-) write to your MP :-)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join