Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

South American Trading Block (Mercosur) Agree to Block British Soverign Flagged Vessels into their P

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

Spain actually has two enclaves on the Moroccan mainland, Ceuta and Melilla. The people there consider themselves Andaluz, not Moroccan. Again it comes down to allowing those who actually come from a place to decide their own nationality. I agree that if the Falklanders want to be British they should be allowed to remain so, but at the same time the UK should not then illegally bar the Chagossians from returning to their homeland. Personally I don't believe Argentina has any legitimate claim on Falkland, any more than we have a right to the Faroe islands (Danish), or Brazil to French Guiana. I don't believe Argentina would be dumb enough to try to take the islands by force again.

If oil drilling does start there then I certainly hope Argentinians will be allowed to work there as well. The falklanders themselves are seeing a falling birthrate, an insufficient number of single females and could do with some new blood. It may also be worth pointing out that there is already a small Argentine community in the Falklands who just keep a low profile. I'd also point out that a lot of Falklanders are of Welsh ancestry, as are quite a few Patagonians - southern Argentina actually has Welsh-speaking villages, so there are ties between them, to some extent. It's not just a simple black and white issue by any means.

I just hope that the Argentine government won't be too stupid and stubborn to refuse any future offers of co-operation that may come from the UK, but who knows what diplomats may already be discussing behind the scenes.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CountOfMonteCristo

I just hope that the Argentine government won't be too stupid and stubborn to refuse any future offers of co-operation that may come from the UK, but who knows what diplomats may already be discussing behind the scenes.

Agreed!

Argentina should look at the facts and be reasonable, accept they do not have a claim, except there neighbours and make them feel welcomed with open arms, after all they have been there way before they have, not try to impose sanctions on them that affect there lively hoods, and more threats of invasion, those people have been though enough over the years, its not right that both The Brits & Argies argue over there Islands,

I can only hope they realise all this and adopt a policy that brings the people of Argentina, the Falklands & Britain closer together with out the need for more war & loss of life, they should "if offered again" accept the contract/deal to help some of there people get back to work & out of poverty, they would benefit hugely from it, or they could carry on down the wrong road to confrontation,

I can only hope Mrs Kirchner gets some more brain cells from santa this Christmas

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I hope Argentina gets a more sane and reasonable president this Christmas

I think there is still a lot of corruption in Argentina, and the Falkland Islands is a very handy diversion.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I hope Argentina gets a more sane and reasonable president this Christmas

I think there is still a lot of corruption in Argentina, and the Falkland Islands is a very handy diversion.

I just hope us Brits finally get a competent PM for Christmas.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

Wow, thanks for that history, some of which I did not know. In that case, then IF said sovereignty was to change then it should by rights go back the natives. However, I can see that happening as much as the US is handed back to the natives and Australia is handed back to the Aboriginies.

Since neither is going to happen I propose things are left as they have been for 182 years.

A good post my friend, and Im glad you haven't resorted to the nationalistic dick swinging competition I got myself involved in.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Krono

That too, although I wouldn't hold my breath. When was the last time we had one? Churchill maybe, certainly none since.
edit on 23-12-2011 by CountOfMonteCristo because: syntax and spelling

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

certainly - its a bit of an obtuse source , but argentina was offered a share of the oil and fish resources :

source

at the time [ 1970s ] i subscribed to new scientist magazine - and had an interest in the falklands [ naval history ] so the stuff about oil and krill stuck in my mind

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by morefiber
Honestly, 25 pages over this. I am not sure if the English are any more belligerent than other people, but I can think of a few examples where being near England was all it took to get brutalized. Hundred years war, take over and repression of Ireland, are two examples.

And two pretty bad examples at the best of times..

Firstly, the Hundred Years War was a conflict between Royal Houses over the right to the French Throne and had bugger all to do with "proximity", but rather stemmed from the Norman invasion of England the subsequent clashes between the Normas and their French Liege lords, who took umbrage at one of their vassals had become a King.

Ireland was invaded also by the Normans originally on the Pope's blessing. Again, had nothing to do with proximity to England. In fact, prior to conquest by the Normans and the ending of Anglo-Saxon rule, England rarely warred with their neighbours but rather had people invading them, such as the Vikings.

Go pick up a book before trying to smear crap.

Originally posted by morefiber
I know these are from a long time ago, but it is pretty obvious some of your people really miss the Empire.
You don't need to give me the long list of how every culture is just as violent, I know not every Brit thinks the same, and you will just make my point.

Both of those examples had nothing to do with the British Empire, having occured some 400 odd years prior to the formation of the UK for starters and actually had more to do with Feudal society than anything else.

To be honest, when you look at what an inhospitable and remote heap of cold windy rocks the Falkland Islands are, I'm surprised any of them actually want to stay there.

Their not that bad actually. had the pleasure of going down there when a friend was posted in the 1990's. Somewhat windy, but no worse than the Scottish islands.

I'm sure we have plenty of offshore islands around the UK that the people could resettle to and be far better off. I don't think it has anything to do with the islands or islanders.

Ironically, the settlers in the Falklands descend from the people who already live on those islands.

After all, the British government didn't seem to care a damn about the rights of the Chagos islanders. No, this is about oil, and therefore, money, the only thing Tories have ever cared about.

If it was about Oil on our part, why would we offer (when we had no obligation too) to share the resources?

This is about Sovereignty. Giving up here would weaken any other claims we have and make us lose face. That is what this about. Like I said before, go look at Antartica and our claim there. Without the Falklands, we have no claim.

As in interesting but mildly related sidenote, Kirchner has just managed to get the Argentine Senate to approve the Governments takeover and control of all printmedia in Argentina because she's been getting a kicking from certain sections of their press....

www.bbc.co.uk...

The Argentine government has won control of the country's newsprint supplies, after a vote in the Senate.

The legislation, which passed in the lower house last week, says the production, sale and distribution of newsprint is of national interest.

Correspondents say it is a victory for President Cristina Fernandez, who has long been at odds with one of the main media groups, Clarin.

However, critics have denounced the move as an attack on press freedom.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

It sounds to me that Kirchner is about to embark on a rule of Dictatorship ..... so nothing new there where Argentina is concerned. Will these people ever learn?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
i've already said this once in this thread, the crusades =/ there is no point arguing that england is a wonderful innocent country because its an already lost battle.

ed: a better example might have been the war braveheart was based on between scotland and england for the purposes of explaining previous points.
edit on 24/12/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname
i've already said this once in this thread, the crusades =/ there is no point arguing that england is a wonderful innocent country because its an already lost battle.

What? Firstly, England cannot possibly be a nice country today because 800 years ago one of our Kings went on a Papally inspired crusade?

Also, England was only a minor player in the whole Crusades thing. For the most part, they were undertaken by the French, Germans and Italians. But then, let's not let historical fact and accuracy get in the way of you hating on someone, hey?

ed: a better example might have been the war braveheart was based on between scotland and england for the purposes of explaining previous points.

You want to base a historical argument on a (crap) film made by someone with an anti-English agenda (and anti Jewish it seems too) and based on bugger all historical fact? Gibson even tries to claim that the heir to the English throne was sired by Wallace, despite the fact the Princess and Wallace didn't even live during the same time!

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Poor logic, lets explore your logic

Your dad was a rapist & murderer... so we're arresting you for being one too, ?

And can you please explain why you are addressing the English and Not the Brits, in fact why are you even talking of things that happened 800yrs ago to try and use as a current assessment of the English? would you do the same with a football team if you was putting on a bet? kings changed as do governments people are different, my guess would be you have just a tiny little chip on your shoulder, in that case, it would be best for your unbiased self to move on because you cannot possibly come to a fair & honest opinion over the matter at hand here,

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hello Gentlemen,
New here,
Couldnt help but chortle as i read this thread.

So someone who quotes a website that says prince william is a satanist,deserves a reply?

And after having listened to British history distorted by johnny foreigner,heres my thoughts on the subject.

India has beneffited tremendously from the Raj,
education,sport,law,railways etc etc etc
thats why they love us and want to be us.

This newyorkee guy.....is he real?
i wander whether he ever saw the collection buckets being passed around the bars of new york and Boston in the 70s and 80s which funded the armalite rifles and czech/Libyan semtex used on British and irish citizens,
no he didnt..............because he was too busy frequenting websites where everyone is mad as cheese,
and quoting paragraphs verbatim and saying "its a fact"
Well sunshine ...............pssst........listen close..............
just because its on the web dont mean its true,
now be a good chap and calm down a tad.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lipsynch

Ignore him, he seems to hate everything that is British or Western European influenced.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

When someone uses the film "Braveheart" as a historical reference point then i know we are in trouble
Braveheart was more fiction than fact:-

www.scottishhistory.com...

And thats from a Scottish Website.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Happy Christmas Guys & Gals

Including you Argentinians

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Indeed!

Merry Crimble to all on ATS!

I would also like to extend my best wishes to all in the Armed Forces in Afghan, the Falklands and around the world who can't be with their loved one's this year...

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Some questions to the op
Who says that people living in Malvinas want to belong to the UK?
Who asked them?
Which one of them had lives there since the island was there?

The interests of the UK are not negotiable? And people freedom isn`t negotiable?
Who gave you the right to stablish colonies all around the world? Did you asked the people living in your colonies before attacking and occupying them if they wanted to became British?

OF COURSE NOT

The UK history of colonizations around the world shows us that they always took what they wanted, they never took care of the people living in their colonies unless their resources demand that.

They colonized our global economy with the bank system, their ^FAIR TRADE^ economic and political maneuvers around the world, who gave them the right to consider what is good for other people?
Their firearms and battle power
Their corrupt system behind the local presidents that supported them instead of our own people

WELL I`M SORRY TO TELL YOU THAT HAS COME TO AN END

MALVINAS ARE ARGENTINIAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE
edit on 25-12-2011 by N1thNa1ath because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

yeah thank you

we all belong to the human race as you,

Feliz Navidad

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Can you?
Second line

new topics