It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South American Trading Block (Mercosur) Agree to Block British Soverign Flagged Vessels into their P

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JessopJessopJessop

Britain would make quick work of Argentina.

But one fundamental fact is that we don't possess any aircraft carriers right now which would be quite vital in any such campaign.

It wouldn't be like 1982 where we put together a task force. Time have changed.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Tried that before if I recall correctly, and got their arses handed to them

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by JessopJessopJessop

Britain would make quick work of Argentina.

But one fundamental fact is that we don't possess any aircraft carriers right now which would be quite vital in any such campaign.

It wouldn't be like 1982 where we put together a task force. Time have changed.

Not really. We wouldn't even need aircraft carriers. That's just a Daily Mail scare mongering pitch. Britain has allies close by, we can mobilise planes from any continent.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

As I understand it we have two submarines on permanent deployment in the South Atlantic and a permanent garrison on the islands themselves consisting of a Navy Frigate, assault aircraft etc and approximately 500 military personel.
That's ample to repel any initial invasion force.

Thatcher, (
), threatened to nuke Buenos Aires during the '82 conflict...obvioulsy that option still remains.

If Argentina recruited military assisstance from other South American countries well I'm afraid the gloves would come off and I don't think it would be pretty.

As I said before, let's hope nothing comes of this.

I remember '82 very well.
There are a lot of myths, and some downright lies, surrounding it.
I might start a thread on it one day.
edit on 21/12/11 by Freeborn because: spelling

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Narciso

Colonialism is over, if the people in Malvinas want to remain british take them back with you.

Take them back with you?
That's THEIR country! Not yours!
And that's where you're missing the point.
That's their country and it's part of the United Kingdom.
It's never been Argentinian. Get over it.
There's people there, if you actually cared about people you wouldn't be saying all that.
It's clear you don't care for real democracy and peoples wishes.
They didn't land there two days ago. They've been there always.
When was Argentina founded as a country anyway in 1816?
Well stop crying then.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
Well as a high ranking Royal Navy officer recently stated, if a situation like the Falklands was to happen again, there isn't anything we can really do about it.

Argentina is no doubt aware of this and is tightening the screw a bit.

We don't even have aircraft carriers so what exactly do people think we're going to do?

I think it was the governor of the Falklands who sort of attempted to draw a comparison with Palestine which is ridiculous in the extreme.

Actually "lusty" is fine and in active service "the name of the aircraft carrier that we "dont have" maybe you should read an wiki article for once in your life we havent had more than 1 aircraft carrier since world war 2 why? because the majority of the work in the previous falklands war was done by SAS and soldiers there is nothing NOTHING argentina or that rediculous rabble of failures could throw at us that a destroyer or CIWS couldn't handle lusty

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

We don't need aircraft carriers, we have an airstrip on the Island, 4 Typhoons on alert and air to air refuelling that means we could get two whole squadrons down there within 6 hours. Why do we need aircraft carriers?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by Flavian

What the hell are you talking about?

The queen rules the UK. The UK ``owns`` the Falkland islands. Pretty simple.

LOL

WAY OF THE MARK!!

The queen rules nothing, shes mearly a tourist attraction, end off

The Falkland islands was British territory before there was ever a country called Argentina... if anybody has more claim to those island then anyone its the french who landed there first, those islands was "uninhabited" they was stole from NO ONE!!! Pretty Simples Mr Vitchilo

The people of the Falkland islands wish to remain British,

If Argentina want to continue down this road they will land themselves another war which will have the full backing of the public as in 1982 when the paras dealt with them, good luck getting any troop across this time with a state of the art astute class subs patrolling

edit on 21-12-2011 by BRITWARRIOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

Well said that man

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
oil related much.

second line, got this solved in about 5 seconds.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsinaname

Did cross my mind when I read the article, mention of Oil and the ear sprang up I guess..

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The only truth here is that Argentina is the one trying to invade.
Simple.
Just like in '82.
The fact is that the people in the Falklands wish to remain British and that's the only thing that counts.
Why do they wish to remain British?
You do the maths.
If I'm good to you, will you not love me?
If I bully you, will you not hate me?
And so I shall remind the oppressor;

Photo taken in Gib

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

I was specifically thinking of this incident from last year but it took a while to find.

news.bbc.co.uk...

if I recall, chavez got mouthy to the queen on tv and people payed attention for all of 5 minutes before forgetting the island exists >_> anyway there is alot of oil there under the sea, not that ol' england has had any luck with our oil companies lately...if it were up to me i'd take a closer look at cold fusion or regular fusion, but its not, so we use oil >_> after everything thats happened in the last few years I highly doubt the govt's main concern is what the island folk want.

ed: remind me about 82 because the last I recall of the incident was that the bbc covered up half of the story.
edit on 21/12/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Of course this is about more than oil, for the British at least. Do you think that any government in power will ever get re-elected should they be the custodians of the Falklands if they fall to Argentina. They would be out of office for 100 years. This is about more than oil, this is about national pride and the people of the UK showing loyalty to the community in the Falklands that have always shown loyalty to the British crown. The people of Britain will stick by the Faulklanders so the government of Britain will be forced to regardless of their intentions. I don't want a war but Britain are being pushed further than they should tollerate by Argentina and its south American allies. In my opinion we should run a military exercise to remind those nations what we are capable of. Send down some destroyers, another Trident armed nuclear submarine, apatche attack helicopters, 2 more Rapier squadrons, 2 squadrons of Typhoon, 1 Squadron off Tornado GR4 attack bombers, 2,000 strong ground force with SAS support and the required support craft to support this type of exercise. Flex our muscles and send a warning to the 4 of them. Even with a weakened Force the UK could still take on all 4 of those nations on its own.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Well let's hope we don't have to find out how we'd manage in such a situation.

I have Max Hasting's book about the Falkland's War but I've yet to get round to reading it.

I'm not really knowledgeable about the state of Argentina's armed forces or military capability, however I do think many are overestimating our position at the moment.

Like I said though, let's hope we don't ever have to find out.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

I really want that first photo as a poster....

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Of course its about Oil, Jealousy that we discovered oil and its close to them but not theirs, the British Government offered them countless time to go on join drilling expeditions all over that region to which they refused to do,

As i said those Islands was part of the British Empire before Oil was ever a resource not our problem, they was British before Argentina was ever a country, a colonial country i might add, that was stolen from the native South Americans,

SO... I SAY

If Argentina force us to slap its silly pathetic little face again, we should continue into Argentina and liberate the native south Americans, any white European Argentinian must leave the country, they will be granted permission to live in any UK country or even the Falklands Islands if they wish, because that's the only way you're ever step foot on them Islands lets be honest here,

Last part was a joke BTW,

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

I appreciate your honesty.....thats fair enough......Wihtout going into if I agree or not.....simple truth....thanks again

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
While I'm no fan of the UK, I'm curious how Argentina thinks they have the right to do this?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
LOL some of the stuff in this thread has made me chuckle, I like the lines about who put their flag first claim ownership or maybe not according to some around here........so there is a flag on the moon and therefore the moon is American, not sure the Clangers or the soup dragon would have voted that way (look up the Clangers, a very good children's program back when I was a kid in the 70's)
And don't forget the claims for land going for regions in the polar regions.....mental isn't it.

Something else made me laugh on how some say we was here first so we own and name this land in the name of (insert country here), yet all around the world you see a multitude of different nationalities living in countries which are not the ones they were born in and to boot practicing their own religion in a foreign land albeit their new country / home...........So who exactly owns what ??

As for the Falklands........well the people who live there have said time and again that they want to remain British, nice of our government to listen to them when it fails to listen to us living in England.......sore point that for me, but back to point, it will be a very bad mistake on Argentina and it's military if they want to try to take the Falklands by force, I'm sure this time around the UK armed forces will not have one arm tied around it's back when it comes to taking a target out.

Wolfie

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join