It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SKoreans sending propaganda leaflets into NKorea today...is that smart right now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com... _story.html?wprss=rss_world

IMJINGAK, South Korea — South Korean activists and defectors launched giant balloons containing tens of thousands of propaganda leaflets into North Korea on Wednesday, as Pyongyang mourned the death of longtime leader Kim Jong Il.

The leaflets sent by a small group of activists gathered at the border are sure to infuriate the North, which views such actions as propaganda warfare. The leaflets contained messages opposing another hereditary power transfer in North Korea, as well as portraits of Kim Jong Il and heir Kim Jong Un. It wasn’t immediately known if they mentioned Kim Jong Il’s death.

North Korea has previously warned that it would fire at South Korea in response to such actions, and Wednesday’s balloon launch comes at an extremely sensitive time for North Korea.

I know there have been balloons launched over the border before, but is this seriously a smart thing to do at the moment? Millions are mourning Kim Jong Il, and now there's a pretty unknown figure that has only been in power a few days. As stated above, NKorea says they will shoot at SKorea if these balloons are sent across the border. Is this somewhat of a "test" on Kim Jong Un? Do they want to see what his reaction will be, even if it means being shot at? Sounds like too much of a risk for me.

Plus, the activists and defectors are saying they plan to launch more of these balloons throughout the day.

Activists vowed to send more leaflets later Wednesday.

Not the smartest thing to do at this time, atleast in my opinion

ETA - The link to the Wash.Post article isnt working...so I have to resort to a FOX article on it, but it says the same thing

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 21-12-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Well at least the North Koreans will have something to wipe their tears with.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Having done similiar before in a previous life, I can tell you that unless the target audience is well versed in the various political diatribes....leaflets won't work.

but they can inflame people.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
thats provocative.

should just leave them be isolated for a while then let them come to you. imo

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

they can wipe something else with it too. considering toilet paper is a luxury there according to cnn.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
The leader,

Has dead eyes.

He will be as bad as his father.

A horrible prospect.

Get real, that country - embrace freedom!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Yes because the leader they are weeping over is a mass murderer. He's a guy who used to entertain himself by driving bulldozers over dissident christians. The population needs to know how much they've been deceived. Forget this appeasment crap with evil. Oppose these evil monsters with every means at our disposal short of WWIII. Millions continue to suffer and die.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Who was the IDIOT who had this idea just now?

It's the worst time ever to do such thing.

Why the South Korean government didn't stop the "activists"?

It's not the time to do such thing.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
better balloons then bombs though right ? if North Korea are willing to go to war because of a balloon and some leaflets then it'll show the mentality of there new leadership.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Activists, not the south Korean government...

However there is the possibility of the government allowing it. It could be viewed as a test balloon to see how the new government will react. Are they, N.K., using the same rules, or will they tone them down and develop a different approach?

The reaction will be closely watched to see if anything changes.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Or Butts

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Haven't they been doing this for a while? I mean, as far as I was aware this is a regular practice, not once a year or something.

Besides, a lot of those people won't even know he's dead. They live in farming communities, without electricity and without TV's. There are some areas like Pyongyang that have TV on all the time repeating state propaganda, and they'll all know about it, but there are plenty in that country who will have no clue unless they have military in their community to tell them.

It's not like someone can just pick up the phone and ask for the latest from Pyongyang.

Stupid or not, in the eyes of the international community any military move by the North in response to this would be disproportionate. I don't think it's anything to be very worried about.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It's only tit for tat.

N.Korea bashes S.Korea with threats, harsh words, or just plain ignore their existance, and S.Koreans let fly harmless leaflets into the air.

Nothing provocative. Only a response. The moment you cower in fear of bullies, that's when the bully will throw every punch at you. With or without provocation for S.Korea, N.Korea had already long bullied S.Koreans.

Thankfully, S.Koreans progressed under democratic rule and US help, otherwise things would have been very much different in the korean penninsula, with Japan being targetted instead by a united starving commie korea.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I could argue it either way.

imho, and research wise . . .

transitions are a great time--probably the greatest to try and influence change.

And the more tenuous, fragile, sensitive the transition time, the easier to influence change.

From that standpoint--it's the greatest time to send the leaflets.

Might it provoke the North? Sure.

Breathing provokes the North.

A bird pooping on the DMZ fence line could provoke the North.

The North is not known as a hotbed or rational thought nor calm emotions.

Doesn't mean the rest of the world has to play hostage to that sick game; that sick construction on reality.

I don't know that I'd send leaflets that were outrageously hostile and provocative.

However, some thought provoking leaflets would likely be great to send.

top topics

join