It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Asks Lawmakers For The $30M He's Owed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
3 weeks to write one letter?, no wonder he isnt getting any of that money fast.

Well the family probably waited to see if they would pass his compensation..

These things can take time, so he was probably waiting to see if it would happen in those 3 weeks.

Anyway that isnt even the point, he shouldn't have to write a letter to them at all!

rude.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
3 weeks to write one letter?, no wonder he isnt getting any of that money fast.

These inepts continuously keep me wondering why I bother to come to this forum.
edit on 21-12-2011 by Skittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I've been trying to find more information on this story (and this regulation) on and off all day, but all I have found out is that there are an awful lot of foreclosure issues in Florida.

Anyway, for those who may not have read the story to the end, there is an email address and phone number contact - to put pressure on the legislature - if you're interested.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
A 14 year old suffered a brain injury at birth that was found, by a jury, to be caused by the negligence of the Florida hospital in which he was born. A Florida jury awarded him $30 million in 2007, but, because the hospital is a governmental entity, Florida law requires that the legislature review the claim bills. This is where the hold up comes in.

I guess Florida's no different than DC, they don't like to do their jobs either -

"It has become common practice with this Florida legislature to just sit on these claims bills so that they are rarely concluded," said the attorneys

The teen wrote to representatives, which, because of his injury, took him three weeks.

"My Christmas wish this year is for the state of Florida to give me a fair hearing so that we can have the money for my injuries that the court said we should have," Edwards, now 14, wrote in a letter to Florida state representatives.

"I learned my claims bill had passed the Senate committee for its full amount, but the House would not allow my bill to be heard," the letter continues. "The courts gave me a fair hearing. The Senate gave me a fair hearing. Why can't the House of Representatives give me a fair hearing?"

The teen needs 24 hour care and the bills are piling up. He and his mom moved to Colorado because it was more affordable. $30 million may seem like alot of money, but not when you consider that he has a lifetime of huge medical expenses ahead of him.

And, while I can understand the State of Florida's intentions with this review - if they set themselves a requirement, they need to get the job done!

www.thedenverchannel.com...

I sympathize with this family's plight, but $30 million is outrageous. This is part of why decent healthcare in America is impossible for the average person to afford.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Equidae

I sympathize with this family's plight, but $30 million is outrageous. This is part of why decent healthcare in America is impossible for the average person to afford.

I'm surprised this took this long to come up. First off, the lawyers get a third. Second, cerebral palsy victims have normal life expectancy, so the increasing cost of his care over the next 50 or so years is calculated in. And the emotional toll these kind of cases take on juries - a child robbed of a normal life from birth, subjected to daily suffering for the rest of his life - usually adds to the number inflation.

I'm not defending the dollar amount, just that he was awarded it legally and now has no access to any of it because of the Florida legislature's negligence, incompetence or indifference. Meanwhile, the expenses pile up.

I understand your stance, and agree tort reform is necessary because of the many outrageous awards juries dole out, but this kid has a life full of excessive expenses through no fault of his own or his parents. Hard to put a $ on it.
edit on 21-12-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
reply to post by Equidae

I'm surprised this took this long to come up. First off, the lawyers get a third. Second, cerebral palsy victims have normal life expectancy, so the increasing cost of his care over the next 50 or so years is calculated in. And the emotional toll these kind of cases take on juries - a child robbed of a normal life from birth, subjected to daily suffering for the rest of his life - usually adds to the number inflation.

I'm not defending the dollar amount, just that he was awarded it legally and now has no access to any of it because of the Florida legislature's negligence, incompetence or indifference. Meanwhile, the expenses pile up.

I understand your stance, and agree tort reform is necessary because of the many outrageous awards juries dole out, but this kid has a life full of excessive expenses through no fault of his own or his parents. Hard to put a $ on it.

I agree if it was awarded in a court of law that it's his and he needs the money asap. I also agree that he is owed a fair bit of money because it is an expensive affliction. My qualm is with the litigation cesspit that the legal profession has gravitated towards. I am friends with a few lawyers, and they're good people; however, the rate of compensation versus actual service provided by the average personal injury lawyer is insane. It's almost as ridiculous as the compensation versus product that Wall Street brokers provide.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I will never understand these type of lawsuits that make people multimillionaires when they wouldn't make that much in a lifetime even if they were fully healthy.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Think pain and suffering, not just for him, his entire family. I don't know the facts of this case, but if someone screwed up they should pay.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The reason that an award of $30,000,000 isn't outrageous is because the cost of for profit corporate medical care is outrageous..... I have little doubt that if the boy is able to live for what is a normal lifespan all of the money will be in corporate coffers and he will be back in the hands of a government ran medical facility.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Here's the irony to everyone who's saying the state needs to pay this settlement.

Isn't it just socialized medicine at that point?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Wow - they won the lottery - Lucky Them! Bet they'd rather have a healthy child. As a matter of fact, I know they would, because I am friends with a family who won a lawsuit for a child with cerebral palsy and they are messes with some money. Came in handy when the dad had to go to rehab though.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
holy crap 30 million?! it sounds like having a kid with a problem is like winning the lottery! my son was born with one kidney and 3 holes in his heart, and im not asking for that kind of cash!
edit on 21-12-2011 by Foxy1 because: cause I suck

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The kid should change his name to Goldman Sachs.

See how quickly they pay him then!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxy1

Wow, that's awful and I truly hope you get the medical and financial assistance you must need. Were his problems caused by the ineptitude of doctors, hospitals, midwives?

I see your point though - because it might not have been, you have to bear the burden without the financial help.

Tough one. Thanks - Really making me think.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I really think that the biggest problem in this country and all the rest for that matter is this:

We are forced to pay for things no matter what the charges pile up and can lead to jail time or loss of property, yet the governments are allowed to do anything they'd like.

Why is this?

Some say well we put them in the place of power and they deserve that power.
Some say well we put them in that place of power and they took that power themselves.
Some say well we put them in that place of power and have allowed them to take more and more power upon themselves.

No matter what, this (and many other) government(s) is meant to keep things fair and just among a nation of people.

They are supposed to be put in place by us because they should be able to be trusted to do whats right for the country or nation as a whole.

Yet somewhere we all lost sight of this concept. We have perpetually allowed more and more criminals into places of power. We sit by and watch as they change things to better themselves and make us all suffer.

Why is this allowed?

Some say it's because we have been conditioned or brainwashed to allow this and sit by as it all goes down.
Some say people are too busy to notice.
Some say people are stupid and it's because of this fact that we all are and have been allowing this.
Some say we were/are tricked into believing things will change.

Yet no one is happy about it, no one has been happy about it, and still nothing gets done.

When will people really actually say enough is enough?

How much torture and slavery must we all endure before we stand up and dethrone these criminals who believe they are aristocratic and superior leaders?

How is it that we can complain so much as a human race, yet not do anything other than go to work the next day and try to pay off the bills as they pile up?

Forget the term: "Wake up!"
Forget the term: "Sheeple".

Can we please bind together as a whole and take these tyrants down?

OWS and all the other disorganized gatherings will never work. This world needs an enema and we all need to deliver for once. Once and for all. Lets get this planet back for once and for all...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
So I ask, in a situation like this....what is the benefit of being a US citizen in this case....what is the reward for living in a wealthy country like the US if things like this are beyond grasp.....

What is the benefit of all our sacrifice as a nation.....when we cant do with what we have what we think is correct....??
edit on 22-12-2011 by newyorkee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
The real problem here is that it was a state run hospital. Why is the state running a hospital in the US? The hospital should be sold to a private firm and some of that money used to pay the boy. Then the hospital would get private insurance should this ever happen again. Why are Florida taxpayers on the hook for the mistakes the people in this hospital made. It is another bail out people.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
i cannot believe what i have read here !

the treatment of the boy in question is outrageous & how dare anyone say that it's like winning the lottery

the reason the boy is in the situation he is in is because of the treatment he received in a state operated hospital, a court of law awarded the boy $30 million to help pay for the continued treatment he will need for the rest of his life, don't forget he will never be able to get a job so this also takes into account earnings he may have earned over his lifetime, as he will never work he cannot pay into any sort of pension, also do not forget just how expensive medical care in the USA is, the boy should get FREE treatment for the rest of his life & still receive the damages he was awarded.

i know this is one of those 'IF' things but maybe this boy would have grown up to become some doctor & just by chance come up with some cure for cancer or aids or something, yes it is a hypothetical situation but it is still relevant just in the say way that the boys life has been destroyed through no fault of his or his mothers & father's fault.

i had to laugh at certain Americans when Obama was trying to get his medicare through & there were Americans on the news saying that they do not want a system like we have here in the UK (the NHS) because it's is no good & as evidence they were saying that you only have to look at British peoples teeth to see that the NHS doesn't work, well as a matter of fact most people cannot afford to visit a dentist in the UK because most of them are private !

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equidae

You have any idea what a dollar is worth these days? Do you really think $30 million is even close to sufficient to pay for a lifetime of 24 hour care? Consider the fact that that 24 hour care is going to double, triple, or even more in the future. How can you even put a price on a preventable debilitating brain injury with no chance of even partial recovery? If this happened to you, how much would you pay to get your life back? To be able to hold a conversation with your loved ones without drooling on them... To be able to go to school, have friends, date, get married, have kids and a career. Take vacations and experience all that the world and life have to offer... This kid has already endured 14 years of a life that may or may not be worth living by his own standards, and what does he have to look forward to? Just more of the same. He won't go to prom or homecoming. He'll never play sports or go on a date. Here's an excerpt from his case...

...currently and for the remainder of his life will suffer from spastic and dystonic cerebral palsy and quadriparesis, rendering him totally and permanently disabled...

... for the remainder of his life will not be able to orally communicate...

... suffers from profound physical limitations affecting all four of his limbs...

... cannot feed, bathe, dress or protect himself...

... will never be able toenter the job market...

... will require a lifetime of medical, therapeutic, rehabilitation and nursing care...

And bet your house there's more. So what's the price of this injury? $30M won't even get him to age 45, and this was not an accident, but the result of sheer ignorance and incompetence. It's really easy to say $30M is outrageous, when you're sitting comfortably at your desk with all your faculties under complete control.

On second thought, I agree with you completely. $30M IS outrageous. It ought to be closer to $130M. Then it might actually go a tiny ways towards creating some minute quality of life for this kid.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541

Originally posted by Equidae

You have any idea what a dollar is worth these days? Do you really think $30 million is even close to sufficient to pay for a lifetime of 24 hour care? Consider the fact that that 24 hour care is going to double, triple, or even more in the future. How can you even put a price on a preventable debilitating brain injury with no chance of even partial recovery? If this happened to you, how much would you pay to get your life back? To be able to hold a conversation with your loved ones without drooling on them... To be able to go to school, have friends, date, get married, have kids and a career. Take vacations and experience all that the world and life have to offer... This kid has already endured 14 years of a life that may or may not be worth living by his own standards, and what does he have to look forward to? Just more of the same. He won't go to prom or homecoming. He'll never play sports or go on a date. Here's an excerpt from his case...

...currently and for the remainder of his life will suffer from spastic and dystonic cerebral palsy and quadriparesis, rendering him totally and permanently disabled...

... for the remainder of his life will not be able to orally communicate...

... suffers from profound physical limitations affecting all four of his limbs...

... cannot feed, bathe, dress or protect himself...

... will never be able toenter the job market...

... will require a lifetime of medical, therapeutic, rehabilitation and nursing care...

And bet your house there's more. So what's the price of this injury? $30M won't even get him to age 45, and this was not an accident, but the result of sheer ignorance and incompetence. It's really easy to say $30M is outrageous, when you're sitting comfortably at your desk with all your faculties under complete control.

On second thought, I agree with you completely. $30M IS outrageous. It ought to be closer to $130M. Then it might actually go a tiny ways towards creating some minute quality of life for this kid.

i agree 100%

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join