It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Asks Lawmakers For The $30M He's Owed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
A 14 year old suffered a brain injury at birth that was found, by a jury, to be caused by the negligence of the Florida hospital in which he was born. A Florida jury awarded him $30 million in 2007, but, because the hospital is a governmental entity, Florida law requires that the legislature review the claim bills. This is where the hold up comes in.

I guess Florida's no different than DC, they don't like to do their jobs either -

"It has become common practice with this Florida legislature to just sit on these claims bills so that they are rarely concluded," said the attorneys

The teen wrote to representatives, which, because of his injury, took him three weeks.

"My Christmas wish this year is for the state of Florida to give me a fair hearing so that we can have the money for my injuries that the court said we should have," Edwards, now 14, wrote in a letter to Florida state representatives.

"I learned my claims bill had passed the Senate committee for its full amount, but the House would not allow my bill to be heard," the letter continues. "The courts gave me a fair hearing. The Senate gave me a fair hearing. Why can't the House of Representatives give me a fair hearing?"

The teen needs 24 hour care and the bills are piling up. He and his mom moved to Colorado because it was more affordable. $30 million may seem like alot of money, but not when you consider that he has a lifetime of huge medical expenses ahead of him.

And, while I can understand the State of Florida's intentions with this review - if they set themselves a requirement, they need to get the job done!

www.thedenverchannel.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
3 weeks to write one letter?, no wonder he isnt getting any of that money fast.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I bet the only reason the news is reporting this is because they will get paid if the family wins.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
That blows, you know most of its going to go right back into medical expenses anyways.

Reminds me of what they are doing here. Hanford released stuff during the 60's and probably other times and the government is sitting on everything. Most of the people have died or are very close. (due to the radiation)

+71 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Next letter should be to the judge that ruled on the case asking that the entire Florida House of Representatives be arrested on contempt of court charges for failure to pay after intentionally stalling for four years and that you request an addendum of interest on the amount due at 7% APR for each of the 4 years.

State also that failure to pay within 30 days means that State assets will be taken possession of and liquidated at public auction until the full amount is paid plus any additional expenses related to the possession and/or sale of the assets.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Here's a copy of the bill for the House of Representatives review. It gives more detail into the origin of his injury.

www.myfloridahouse.gov...

Apparently, the nurse/midwife had a financial disincentive to consult with her supervising obstetrician which resulted in excess pitocin being administered resulting in an ischemic attack (basically a stroke) on the infant.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
What a terrible situation. The Government at state and fed levels drop money on garbage like it's going out of style, but when a young boy is injured for life and found legally due these funds to support him...Oh NOW they suddenly seem to take notice of expenses and money going out. Funny how that works.... I'd be interested to see the personal spending and voting records of whatever individual members have the duty to bring this matter before the house for resolution. I'll bet they have more than a little that they're none too proud of.

I hope this boy gets his due and.....considering what would be done to US if we didn't pay for 4-5 years..I hope he gets it with the interest and penalties that are rightfully due him in spirit if not literal letter of the law. I'd REALLY like to see all this happen BEFORE he dies of old age!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I agree, that's the issue - no repercussions - no incentive to get the job done, Seems like a big problem with government these days no?

edit on 20-12-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Time to foreclose on the hospital.

It has been done to banks, and I loved those stories. To have it done here would just be, well, fantastic.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
you better believe that if any of them (state representatives) had 30 million coming to them, it would pass the house with such velocity that the bill would be misidentified by norad as an intercontinental ballistic missile travelling at mach 12.

give the kid and his family his money. i hope the first thing the kid buys when he turns 16 is a suped up, wheel chair friendly lamborghini gallardo and burns it up and down the street in front of the state legislature.

edit on 21-12-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
My question is, just what exactly is the legislature supposed to review?

It is the lawful order of a court. If Florida had any grounds to dispute the $30 million award, you can bet the case would have been appealed.

So...a court orders you to pay...you have no grounds of appeal...but you can still basically ignore the court mandated damages award, by never getting around to "reviewing" the award. What kind of madness is this?

Wouldn't that be cool if, when the phone bill came in, we could just promise to put it on the agenda for a future "family council" meeting...but then just keeping bumping it, or forgetting to schedule our "review". Four years later...ten years later...whatever, we don't have to pay the bill and they can't cut off service.

Sweet!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

My question is, just what exactly is the legislature supposed to review?

I couldn't find anything else on this particular Florida requirement. Looks like they review the facts/claims made in the case.

To what end or why?? I'm guessing it was initially an attempt to "monitor" excessive jury awards?

edit on 21-12-2011 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by azbowhunter

Even better foreclose on the capital building.
If the courts have awarded the boy the money.
And if they don't want to pay. Get the FHP out to the capital building and foreclose on it.
Setup an auction and sell the building to the highest bidder.
Liquidate all the furniture and fixtures too.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The simple fact is that goverment is no longer of, by , and for the people.......
There is a revolution to fight and we just sit here grousing to each other about the lousey deals goverment hands out.
Id be willing to bet dimes to doughnuts that everywhere you go you will find the sick and injured, the old and the defenseless are bullied and mistreated by everyone set above them.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Next letter should be to the judge that ruled on the case asking that the entire Florida House of Representatives be arrested on contempt of court charges for failure to pay after intentionally stalling for four years and that you request an addendum of interest on the amount due at 7% APR for each of the 4 years.

State also that failure to pay within 30 days means that State assets will be taken possession of and liquidated at public auction until the full amount is paid plus any additional expenses related to the possession and/or sale of the assets.

Or even better; what's the value of that hospital? Sign it over. He gets free medical for the rest of his life in his own clinic.

Remember when that guy got a sheriff and an attorney and walked into a bank that tried to foreclose on him, and started repossessing furniture out of the bank because they now owed him money and were stalling on payments?
Well, just go in and start grabbing stuff. An MRI here, an ultra-sound there... it'll add up.

Khar

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This definitely shows the moral bankruptcy of the people running things in America, like no other....

I would like to know the names of the people directly involved with this holdup.. will be looking into it further...

These people need to be horse whipped into oblivion.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I am just sickened by this. That child and his family NEED the money for his care; it's not like they are going to use it for a damn vacation! The damn House needs to get this family paid...

If you owe the government for taxes you better believe they will come after you with everything they've got to get their $$. This is simply not right, they need to PAY UP!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by azbowhunter

Even better foreclose on the capital building.
If the courts have awarded the boy the money.
And if they don't want to pay. Get the FHP out to the capital building and foreclose on it.
Setup an auction and sell the building to the highest bidder.
Liquidate all the furniture and fixtures too.

HELL YEAH!!! The government wouldn't hesitate to take everything a person owed so why should we not be allowed to do the same?? I like the idea about foreclosing on the hospital too

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Why the hell should the state house have to pass anything so they can get their money? Judges should settle that, period...

Who the hell came up with that BS in the first place?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

State also that failure to pay within 30 days means that State assets

Not state assets. Florida representatives assets from the last 4 years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join