It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New discovery : Earth has actually two moons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Yep.

Earth Has a Second Moon, Astronomers Say

In a research paper called "The population of natural Earth satellites", astronomers say that Earth has a second moon at any given time. While these moons are small, the scientific implications of this discovery are phenomenal.

Think about it: instead of having to send crews to asteroids, now we know that they come to us—they orbit Earth and we can intercept them to learn more about the origins of our solar system. All with a small price tag.
What has been discovered?

Cornell University's Mikael Granvik, Jeremie Vaubaillon and Robert Jedicke have calculated the population of "irregular natural satellites that are temporarily captured" by Earth.

This is great. Maybe we can go on the new ``moons`` that appear from time to time.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

That's amazing, a second moon from a astroid. More amazing discoveries I guess

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I have to say that that is awesome. I bet we would be able to do some physical research more often with asteroids now. (as in we could actually do it)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
So how does the physics of "temporary capture" work ?

One assumes that the process of capture means that the approaching object's linear approach velocity vector has been modified sufficiently by the capturing body to become approximately circular in order for the object to orbit the capturing body. From this, one has to assume that the captured object subsequently loses momentum (i.e. energy).
Furthermore, if the object has lost sufficient momentum (i.e. energy) to enter an approximately circular orbit, then where does the energy come from that eventually gives it sufficient additional momentum to break out of the approximately circular orbit and be "sling shotted" away once more from the capturing body ?
edit on 20/12/11 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
This has been known for years.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Sorry but this is nothing new. It was even a question on the fantastic tv quiz hosted ny Stephen Fry over here called 'QI'.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Lol was watchin QI the night, thats what reminded me.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Maybe they are small alien spacecraft!!! Dun dun dun. lol. Maybe we could lasso one and tether it to the space station until we can figure out how to get it to earth safely. I am sure it could be done, especially if we still had shuttles, and it could fit in the trunk, er, I mean cargo hold.

I never knew earth captured asteroids, but I suppose it makes sense. I wonder how many miles into orbit they are though.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
This is possibly what is being talked about. A newly discovered trojan asteroid trapped in an earth induced gravity well.
I guess it could be considered a moon of sorts, but it's orbit is wild....

A tiny space rock that's partially tethered to Earth by a gravitational leash is our planet's first known Trojan asteroid, astronomers say. Trojans are objects that exist in gravitationally stable regions in front of or behind another body, so that the two share the same orbit but never collide

Source :National Geographic online

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Thank you for the post...I for one appreciate it , I've never heard of it til I read yours

I laugh when people on here say it's old news or the like , it was new news to me and I'm sure I'm not the only one , so again , Thank you.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
After a quick search.

Apparently, Cruithne 3753 is a quasi satellite and was incorrectly called earth second moon.
Its weird, i thought we had 2.5 moon myself since many years but i was wrong.
Darn scientists, they cant agree about '\'\'\'

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I call BS on this whole concept.

From wiki:
A natural satellite or moon is a celestial body that orbits a planet or smaller body, which is called its primary. The two terms are used synonymously for non-artificial satellites of planets, of dwarf planets, and of minor planets.

Orbits, continuously, measurably, predictably.

We know about asteroids, they are NOT moons, nor do they display the same characteristics or behaviour as moons?

Not a discovery, no new information here, just a media company making up rubbish in lieu of real news.

IMHO.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I think that article is poorly written, asteroids that orbit the sun in near earth orbit could appear to also be orbiting earth but they are not, they are effected when they have a closer proximity to earth.

Let me illustrate.

The 'horseshoe' orbit.

Also I believe what they mean by capture, is not meant as corralling the asteroid, You're not going to generate that kind of energy, it would be to have a spacecraft tether a line to stay in close proximity of the asteroid because the tiny gravity of the rocks would not be sufficiently strong enough to hold a spacecraft on its surface or in an orbit. I mean it would be less likely, though depending on the mass of the asteroid, a tether line would offer assurance of staying with the body, this is not something space agencies haven't thought of, even development is underway as we speak.

About the article saying the asteroids are temporarily captured by earth is simply just wrong.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Sorry but this is nothing new. It was even a question on the fantastic tv quiz hosted ny Stephen Fry over here called 'QI'.

What in the hell are you talking about? It doesn't sound American, and therefore is not at all relevant to anything, ever. No one realy liked Futurama that much.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
nvm
edit on 21-12-2011 by skitzspiricy because:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

That horseshoe orbit video just made my mind melt trying to understand how that works, LOL.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by WielderOfTheSwordOfTruth

Its a hard orbit to diagram, if the simulation also showed the earth in motion the whole asteroid orbit would be more difficult to map out as or even determine it getting near earth. It is kind of bizarre.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

What in the hell are you talking about? It doesn't sound American, and therefore is not at all relevant to anything, ever. No one realy liked Futurama that much.

QI is British, Stephen Fry is British, Futurama is American, and lots of people like both shows.

Or was that a poor attempt at a joke with the "Fry" thing?

Cool story in the OP, although known for some time now. It would be awesome if the Earths gravity permanently snatched up a new "moon" that was visible from ground based observation.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Pretty tricky trying to land on something that's doing this:

edit on 12/21/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
There's also an asteroid named 1685 Toro that ends up sharing an orbit between Earth and Venus, and that could also be considered a "second moon," if you wanted to consider it that way:

1685 Toro
1685 Toro JPL Small-Body Database Browser

edit on 21-12-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join