It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Understanding Of the Earths "Electrical" Core-New Metal Transition Found-

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
So it seems the deeper into the earth you go the pressure is so much that it changes the properties of this metal type that was discovered recently to change it properties to electrically connect the core and mantle . I just thought I would pass this along as it is an interesting read none the less.

www.bbc.co.uk...

"At high temperatures, the atoms in iron oxide crystals are arranged with the same structure as common table salt," said Ronald Cohen, a co-author of the study. "Just like table salt, iron oxide at ambient conditions is a good insulator—it does not conduct electricity." "Our new results show, instead, that iron oxide metallises without any change in structure and that combined temperature and pressure are required. Furthermore, our theory shows that the way the electrons behave to make it metallic is different from other materials that become metallic." A mixture of magnesium and iron oxide makes up much of the Earth's mantle - the solid layer just outside the planet's liquid outer core. The fact that iron oxide behaves as a metal means it will electrically link the core and mantle, affecting the way the magnetic field makes its way to the Earth's surface and beyond.

edit on 20-12-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2011 by AllUrChips because: because I misread at first sorry

At 1,650C and 690,000 times sea-level pressure, the metal changed the degree to which it conducted electricity.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Wow, thats some food for thought. Thanks for the post... best one all night.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Cool post, linking the core and the crust and beyond.

I would love to see a new element added to the table.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
So I wonder how the magnetic field from space affects or is affected by this phenomenon

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
how in the world would they even know that?

its all speculation, i think the core is made of cheese, how you gonna disprove it?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
study the electric universe theory Sir.

new topics

top topics

join