It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2011 Staff members (Or, what did a mod do for you?)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   

what did a mod do for you?

Resident computer god
12m8keall2c once spent an hour on the phone with me helping me fix my computer. I'm not good with computers or technical stuff and my husband was away on a business trip. 12m8keall2c, who resides on Mt. Olympus in Mod-Land, was very patient and helpful with me .. a peasant folk.

Originally posted by intrepid
Sorry ATS, football comes first.

OMG ... it should be HOCKEY!
Bad Canadian! Bad ... Bad ..... (whacks Intrepid with a cyber newspaper on his nose)

edit on 12/22/2011 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Thank you everyone for the funny, witty, scary, personal and thoughtful replies. They say a picture speaks a thousand words so I can see why asala has made it to the giddy heights of Super Moderator with a suit like that. I for one welcome our pink, armoured Super Moderator overlords.

My (hidden but well-meaning) intention for this thread was to learn more about the people who make this place possible and I consider it mission accomplished in that respect.

tothetenthpower
Frighteningly wonderful answer! I think I'd expected more work than you appear to not have to do. (That's not an insult but I can't word it better for some strange reason!) It's good to know that you do get a chance to look at the stuff that interests you. I suppose I thought Mod's were reading every thread as standard work practices, which in itself sounds like a humongous and daunting task.

SonoftheSun
Thanks for the kind words. I figured an end of year Mod appreciation thread was in order, in spite of my short time here. I hadn't expected to get anywhere near the response I did.

seagull
You and me both don't like the sight of blood
Mainly my own, but that's another story...

alien
I'm actually not looking to having a job (should that ever happen again) as it will mean I will miss so many threads and discussions here.
I probably could "get away" with accessing it from work but I don't think I would like to try unless it was really quiet. As for apologies, I've not yet seen any evidence that it is necessary but we are all human.
Thanks for the detailed "day in the life" report.

getreadyalready
You hit a nail on the head I think. So much well researched info and good discussions here. It's almost like a library. I mean, you could spend all day reading here and never commenting, so vast and wide is the range of topics. I can imagine that having a good sense of humour helps greatly in the Mod work. And indeed, self re-education. That is what it is all about for me too, along with having a little fun on the wonderful animal threads (I'm an animal lover) and the chance to engage in some well informed anti-cruelty talk really does crumble my cookie quite nicely. Cats Are Alien Camcorders was also one of the funniest and well thought out threads too.

intrepid
Hilarious response but I do hope for your sake that none of your colleagues see your post. You might wake up on the wrong side of that correctional facility.
(Plus its nice to hear what you guys do for a living) I can't say I've yet come across your posts (in contrast to maxmars and getreadyalready) but if sport is your thing then an old and out of condition person like myself...well, I'm sure you get the picture. I'm not even an armchair sportsman. I smoke too much (a nasty habit that seems like I might as well be a heroin addict at times), drink too much and move too little. Maybe I should move the fridge a little further away. Motivation is hard to find... You have a wise quote in your sig and anyone with a link to "O RLY?" is kinda win imho.

asala
Thank you for your honesty. It is nice to know that incredible power is also "in-house" should the need arise. I am in awe! Well, actually I'm quite scared but I will be sure not to anger you.

FlyersFan
What a lovely story. I also try to help out a little in the Computer Help forum when I can although desktop support is not something I have been doing work-wise for a while now. Thanks for your reply. Another great example of the nice people here.

Thanks everyone! It's been quite a blast.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
What does your day look like on ATS?
Only a little different from what it was before, as I still look in the forums for the topics which I like the most.

Do you sometimes want to scream, shout or punch your fist through your monitor at some of the rudeness, ignorance and off-topicness here?
No, at most I laugh at what I read, but usually I just think if I should answer or not. After all, it was in one occasion like that, some years ago, that I decided to join ATS and post an answer, because someone was wrong on the Internet.

Do you wake up in the morning with an urge to ban-hammer everyone or do you look forward to reading (I would guess) thousands of mindless posts by the world and his wife?
Neither, and even the trolls are interesting.

Happy Christmas (or whatever you choose) to all.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

First.............. No, thank YOU! The members -- all of us -- are what makes this crazy machine work, and a day never goes by for me that I don't get a laugh.... along with some insight, from being an ATS member.

What does your day look like on ATS?

I work for myself, so the structure of my day is almost always different, except that usually get up early, and log onto ATS after coffee, the occasional early ISS flyover and a little Tai Chi.

No, never feel the need to scream or abuse my monitor from what I read or deal with on ATS. Real life? Maybe. Sometimes. Yes.

I like to work on projects in bursts and then do something fun as a balance. Oftentimes that 'something fun' is ATS. We do a lot of discussing behind the scenes, and that is an ever-evolving process, and it hones some of my skills that I am weak in, like my [sometimes] short attention-span. I'm really grateful to have been invited to join staff, and I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it makes a positive difference, and I wouldn't do it if i didn't enjoy it.

On the rare occasion that I wake up in a foul mood, I don't even turn on the computer, but go do something physical until the bad mojo is worked out. I'm not a complex person, very basic really, and love learning from all of you.

From the bottom of the black, cold stone that is my excuse for a heart I salute you
Carbon compresses into diamond, with enough pressure. 'course, some of us like being semi-precious.

Cheers & safe New Year to everybody!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Hey ArMaP. Thanks for your addition.
I must start with a...hmm, what's the word? I need to give you a point and detract one from myself. On your animal discussion thread I said that the human race was given authority over all the grasses, seeds and plants of the earth but not the animals. Having recently watched a sort of quiz show type TV proggy (QI, BBC, very cerebral, silly and funny) on youtube I have gained new information. Apparently Adam and Eve were only given permission to be vegetarians but (from memory) Noah got a new covenant from God that granted humans the right to eat animals so I stand corrected.
It was still one of the greatest threads I have taken part in so far here. And your statement kinda rang a bell with me too.

After all, it was in one occasion like that, some years ago, that I decided to join ATS and post an answer, because someone was wrong on the Internet.

I was formulating my questions to be worst-case-scenario deliberately in order to get the most interesting replies from all you guys and gals.

reply to post by argentus

argentum

Another great reply!

I'm glad you have the opportunity to have your own business. I'm sure that works well instead of the usual 9-5 thankless drudge although with much more responsibility for one's actions. IMHO a very good thing. I kinda managed it for 9 months in a slightly different set of circumtances but due to market pressure (IT freelancer) my dream was over.

Nice to see I hit the mark at least once with my extreme scenario. Tai-Chi!
And yes, finding a balance can be a life-saver. Still looking for mine but I will get there. Mental attitude is the start and this place has helped me much with that. Being right is not the goal in my case, having fun and good discussions and learning much is. I don't want to live for ever. Well, not unless I discover the philosopher's stone or some other mystical thing that stops my ass from ....well, I'm sure you get the picture.

It is indeed much fun here and it's nice to see that you guys have it too.
As long as you are not all standing behind that green curtain unabl to control the giggling.
(Wizard of Oz reference fro those who haven't seen the movie (shame on you, it's great!))

I'm working on the carbon compression skills but Superman I am not. Ah well, coal comes in handy, especially if SHTF
Thank you for the compliment though.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Suspended me and edited me
, But also gave me cudos and 500 points for sticking up for kids at Christmas time. The MODS are ok

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Ex Citation

reply to post by steveknows

Granted, most of the feedback we get is more along these lines, but we try not to be too ogrish about it.

Alas, due to the nature of modding itself, we rarely interact (as mods, anyway) with the majority of our members who never run afoul of the terms & conditions..

But we can, at least, discuss topics with them as members, and when all is said and done, that's why we're here in the first place.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I have to say that I do wish that the mods could contribute more, I mean write threads. I figured its like working in a library and being surrounded by so many different books, and having time to read so many of them. If you guys wrote more threads it would be like talking to the librarian instead of going through all the pesky books

Saying thank you is one thing, but I think I thank you by not getting in trouble
Or causing more chaos then I am sure happens behind closed doors, when you see that awful alert button!!

Since I know that all the mods will eventually see this, I will say thank you to each and everyone of you, from the first mod ever to give me an applause, to those that work so hard to entertain us in the studio! I know that it must hit under the belt when some say things like ATS is a CIA front, or they cant stand those annoying pop-up's.

I say if this is what its like to be part of the CIA, we should have much more emoticons, and as far as the pop-ups how am I supposed to find out what I want, if my computer doesn't tell me

Thanks to the owners, and of course staff, that make sure I do not have to subject myself to some peoples nonsense, by making sure it is 404'd A.S.A.P.

Thanks and have the happiest NEW YEARS EVER!!!

Much love, NRE/NoRegretsEver!!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join