It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Society Motives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
What do you think keeps some of these Secret Societies motivated to run or what starts them?

My 3 guesses are

1) Financial Gain
2) Superiority - The feel of being in control
3) Accpetance - The feel of being accepted in a group so you feel you belong..

Any ideas?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by curiousrb

nail on the head.

greed/power over otherselves
greed/power over otherselves
fear of acceptance

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Join one and find out.
Report back to us.

No point hypothesising when you can gain knowledge through experience.

I'm a Freemason; and it's not about greed or power.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Ask the 111111 dude, he's just next door

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I believe their motivations are either divine, demonic, or alien (which all could be the same thing). Basically a higher intelligence is guiding (or possessing) a small group of people to carry out their agenda.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by madhatr137

Thats why I said some. Like the possibly demonic/masonic/dicator/power hungry/greedy ILLUMINATI society

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by madhatr137

Join one and find out.
Report back to us.

No point hypothesising when you can gain knowledge through experience.

I'm a Freemason; and it's not about greed or power.

This may well get marked as off topic, but I am curious, what is Freemasonry about? I would prefer to hear from an actual Freemason as opposed to reading possible propaganda elsewhere.

Also, I would not call The Freemasons a 'secret society' persay; granted, their rules and ways and 'activities' are not exactly publicised, but they do not deny or try to hide their own existance, which I think that most 'secret societies' do.
edit on 20-12-2011 by AtlantisX99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AtlantisX99

Simply put, from what I have learned thus far in Freemasonry, the organisation is about bettering yourself and your community through square, on-the-level action and a true set of honest ideals...no world domination or devil worship...yet.

I mean, that's it, really.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I have question for you that I don't mind if you wish not to answer. Why all the secercy about the groups then? If they aren't hiding anything sinister.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by madhatr137
reply to post by AtlantisX99

Simply put, from what I have learned thus far in Freemasonry, the organisation is about bettering yourself and your community through square, on-the-level action and a true set of honest ideals...no world domination or devil worship...yet.

I mean, that's it, really.

Um....that is what you are supposed to see about it - duh!

It is/was primarily a 'network of influence' for the protestant controlled world as opposed to the Catholic world where of course they had the confessional and the legions of Catholic Sodalities, semi-secret orders etc etc.

With such a network of influential people they can control whose career advances or declines what books get published, films made, music etc - all it requires are a few people at the top directing certain favours, actions to be carried out on the strength of being a favour for a fellow mason - no questions asked!

The jesuits morphed into the illuminati after they were banned, then promptly took over the top degrees of freemasonry and vastly expanded its membership.

Other societies have other agendas to hook them in satanism, pedophilia, child sacfrices etc - then there are political agendas eco loonyness agendas etc - something to suit every taste.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohhnyBGood
The jesuits morphed into the illuminati after they were banned, then promptly took over the top degrees of freemasonry....

The Jesuits took over the 3rd Degree?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus
The Jesuits took over the 3rd Degree?

So that's why we take oaths to utterly crush all these Protestant dogs. Always wondered about that.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by curiousrb

I have question for you that I don't mind if you wish not to answer. Why all the secercy about the groups then? If they aren't hiding anything sinister.

I would suppose that, on some level, secrecy implies exclusivity. And even though there really aren't any, or many, restrictions that would stop most people of good moral character from joining. People like to feel like they are part of something special; "secrecy" does that; and it keeps away the rabble, sometimes.

At the end of the day, Masons, like all other citizens, are private citizens...and like all other private citizens, they don't necessarily want all of heir actions, good or bad, broadcast to everyone...sometimes people like even their good deeds to simply be deeds done, anonymous, altruistic.

But I cant speak for anyone but myself.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
you guys know how a pyramidal system of power works, right?

the many many "nobodies" that join the freemasons are only that, the nobodies.
the base of the pyramid is broad, and general. almost anyone is accepted

the top of the pyramid is very few people, with all of their influene and power trickling back down to the bottom.
you can even get to the 32nd degree and still be a RELATIVE nobody.

freemasonry is just a front for the "weeding out" of who is worth having "on your side" and in power.
they filter out the "keepers" from the myriad of useless people that they accept into freemasonry in the first place.

once the elites who have significant influences has reached the top of the freemasonry pyramid of power, then they are likely transplanted (specifically selected by someone higher up the pyramid of power) into a even more secretive society, i.e. "illuminati" or rosicrucians or blah blah blah, where they are again at the bottom of a pyramid of power.

all the secret societies are just "internships" for other societies. freemasonry is like kindergarden classes in order to graduate to REAL secret societies.

almost anyone who is a freemason these days is just one of the "nobodies". they linger in the first 32 degrees getting not much accomplished except for the enlargement of their own egos, thinking they are real important "somebodies"
edit on 12/21/11 by metalshredmetal because: edit

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

i think what was meant was that the jesuits took over the upper degrees, being 30th degree and up.

3rd degree / "master mason" is not very far into freemasonry, far from "masterful"

actually almost all the degrees have titles and "rites" that reiterate other societies, like the jesuits, shriners, templars, and other religious sects too.

in this fashion freemasonry cultivates the BASICS for a scholarly knowledge of certain topics,
but once again: freemasonry is only the kindergarden classes for the more respected and secretive REAL societies and mystery schools. real mystery schools are rare these days, and hard to find..

some more modern mystery school leaders would include aliester crowley, dion fortune, and madame blavatsky. these 3 have a plethora of REAL esoteric knowledges that i would recommend to anyone, which are NOT to learned in freemasonry, but are learned in more "graduated" societies.

secret societies of today are rehashed crappy versions of what used to be called mystery schools of the ancient days..

edit on 12/21/11 by metalshredmetal because: edit

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalshredmetal
3rd degree / "master mason" is not very far into freemasonry, far from "masterful"
Actually, it's the highest degree there is. A 3rd degree Master Mason who never joined the Scottish Rite, but did manage to rise in his state's Grand Lodge leadership could expel any 33°. Scottish Rite is not all of Masonry, but all Scottish Rite members must belong to a Grand Lodge...

Your pyramid analogy is misguided, or at least what you believe to be the size & location of the pyramid is very, very wrong.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalshredmetal
i think what was meant was that the jesuits took over the upper degrees, being 30th degree and up.

Considering you can get your 32nd degree in one weekend, and in some instances one day, it is obvious that you do not have a very good grasp on Masonry or the relevance of the Scottish Rite thereto.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by metalshredmetal

Except Freemasonry is and isn't pyramidal. Some parts of the structure is pyramidal, but, IMO, the structure is tree-like. You assume the Scottish Rite is the peak of the Pyramid with the 33rd as the capstone. This is not true. You forget that there is the York Rite, the Shriners, and each of those have their own leadership and structure. None of the appendant orders or rites have authority over the others or the numerous Grand Lodges.

I'd like to point out that the York Rite in America is fairly complex with invite-only, honorary bodies that stem off the 3 independent bodies that compose the York (American) Rite.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by metalshredmetal

Freemasonry is a progressive science taught in degrees, but the 3° is the highest degree a Mason can attain. These other orders and rites are just icing on the cake, but too many focus on the numbering system of the Scottish Rite and get tunnel vision. I'm almost glad and happy that the York Rite doesn't number its degrees and orders.

actually almost all the degrees have titles and "rites" that reiterate other societies, like the jesuits, shriners, templars, and other religious sects too.

Well, the Shriners are a part of the Masonic family as well as the Masonic Templars, who take the name in commemoration only. Many of our rituals do pull the inspiration for the ceremony from the Bible (Old and New Testament).

some more modern mystery school leaders would include aliester crowley, dion fortune, and madame blavatsky. these 3 have a plethora of REAL esoteric knowledges that i would recommend to anyone, which are NOT to learned in freemasonry, but are learned in more "graduated" societies.

I've been reading some manuscripts on Martinism and Rosicrucianism; both connected and interesting subjects.

top topics

join