It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Gallup Poll - Congress has lowest approval rating ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
www.gallup.com...

PRINCETON, NJ -- A new record-low 11% of Americans approve of the job Congress is doing, the lowest single rating in Gallup's history of asking this question since 1974. This earns Congress a 17% yearly average for 2011, the lowest annual congressional approval rating in Gallup history.

The previous low Gallup reading for congressional job approval was 13%, recorded in August, October, and November of this year, and in December 2010. The highest approval rating for Congress is 84% in October 2001, a month after the terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C

This month's record-low congressional job approval rating is one of a number of measures of Congress that have reached historical low points this year. This suggests that 2011 will be remembered as the year in which the American public lost much of any remaining faith in the men and women they elect and send off to Washington to represent them.

Well, I cant say im really suprised by this, but I was expecting it would be lower. I doubt January will have much better numbers either.

ETA - In addition to the above, another poll earlier this month found that 76% of voters want most of the incumbents out. Again, that is a record breaking number since Gallup began asking that question.

www.gallup.com... ation&utm_content=plaintextlink&utm_term=Politics

PRINCETON, NJ -- About three-quarters of registered voters (76%) say most members of Congress do not deserve re-election, the highest such percentage Gallup has measured in its 19-year history of asking this question. The 20% who say most members deserve to be re-elected is also a record low, by one percentage point.

edit on 20-12-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Dear buni11687,

And yet the mass media and the politicians cannot figure out what the Tea Partiers or the Occupy Movement are trying to say. I think we are all trying to say that we are fed up with elected officials being owned by the mass media and big business.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Big surprise there

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I think the public is frustrated that they're always at loggerheads and they can't get over the partisanship stance long enough to actually accomplish anything. There's little compromise, and things that should be passed quickly lag and languish for months or years. We've had a near shutdown of the government over budget issues several times, and the situation seems no closer to being resolved.

I'm pretty annoyed with them, myself.

(I'm also a liberal feminist Democrat, and I do wish we could get rid of Rick Perry here in Texas. We did so much better with Ann Richards.)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
wouldn't it be hilarious to watch ron paul become president and organize so that all the current incumbents (at least most of them) in congress & senate were fired?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

seems congress has a record of setting records....

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This is no surprise I suppose. Maybe we are in the midst of the American people actually waking up as appose to laying dormant like we have been. Truth is we aren't as far off as some third world countries we look at with our nose in the air, and there are many statistics out to prove this. Education could be one example. Anyways, I have my fingers crossed in hopes that our country and the world will awaken and succumb to our fullest potential.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Well, I guess when it falls to 1% we'll actually be able to individually name those who approve of the job they're doing. You don't suppose it will coincide with THAT 1% do you...?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
When we stop sending or keeping idiots in Congress...maybe the numbers will go up. Everyone loves to bitch and moan but the fault is all ours. We either send one party or the other usually campaigning over some polarized issue....and this is what we get.

So unless your willing to run yourself...or get up off your but and do something about this....this will be the status quo. Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Thanks i would have to agree.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
"If your not happy with your government, then let yourself be heard with your vote!"

Actually, most of the candidates have shown that they don't deserve to be considered for office.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I know it might not be in fashion, but I think a rational examination of what is going on leads to the conclusion that it is the SYSTEM that needs reforming.

Haven't we been flushing in new politicians regularly over the past decade? Eveeryone of them telling us what we want to hear during elections?

What about DC crushes their ideals and enthusiasm once they get there?

Perhaps it might be the realization what it costs to keep thier job?

Total raised for 2010 election: $1.27 billion
House candidates: $706.8 million
Senate candidates: $568.1 million

Congressional incumbent reelection rate, 2008: 94%

Average spent by House race winners, 2008:
$1.4 million
Average raised by challengers, 2010: $166,000
Average raised by incumbents, 2010: $1 million

Average spent by Senate race winners, 2008:
$8.5 million
Average raised by challengers, 2010: $519,000
Average raised by incumbents, 2010: $9.4 million

motherjones.com...

They need to start raising money the minute they arrive, which is convenient for the long line of lobbyists waiting outside their new offices.

We need to institute strict campaign finance laws, real prohibitions on lobbyist money and put public financing into place. I would not mind each Senator or Congressman getting 1 Million of taxpayer money to get thier message out....equal financesto use as they choose....if it means that they are being paid by the people vs. corporations.

Get the money out of DC and then worry about sending honest folks there.

Until that happens we will continue to throw politicians with potentially good intentions into the sewer that is DC and then complain that they smell.

Just my 2 cents.
edit on 21-12-2011 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

the polls might show that 11% don't have a clue, or have strange standards.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
www.gallup.com...

The previous low Gallup reading for congressional job approval was 13%, recorded in August, October, and November of this year, and in December 2010. The highest approval rating for Congress is 84% in October 2001, a month after the terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C

Remember this. Hegelian Dialect is real. It is too late to change the problem, but not to change the reaction.

When the next approval rating refresher happens. Change your reaction. Change the solution.

top topics

join