It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good news! Offering sex for sports tickets isn't considered prostitution in Pa.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
A woman who offered sex for world series tickets in a Craigslist ad has had her conviction overturned in Pa. "Its not illegal to be a slut!" Her lawyer crowed after the decision was handed down.

Court overturns woman's sex-for-Phillies-tickets conviction

The Pennsylvania Superior Court on Tuesday overturned the attempted prostitution conviction against Finkelstein, the Philadelphia woman accused of trying to trade sex for Phillies tickets in Bensalem during the 2009 World Series.

The appeals court's 11-page opinion stated that Finkelstein's "conduct did not exceed the ambit of 'private illicit sexual relations.' "

The misdemeanor criminal charge was designed to prevent the harmful effect of commercial prostitution and the exploitation of women, neither of which was evident in Bensalem's case, the opinion said.

"Indeed, Susan Finkelstein appears as the embodiment of 'a girl not generally engaged in commercial activity (who) nevertheless consents to have intercourse on a particular occasion in exchange for a promised reward,' " the court said.

Phillyburbs.com

Finkelstein was arrested in a sting operation when a police officer answered her ad. The officer claims she told him she was a prostitute and offered to perform sex acts on him and a friend in return for the tickets. The officer claims she lifted her skirt exposing herself before he made the arrest.

Its interesting that the court defined prostitution as "commercial activity" and said that anything that falls short of that is not technically prostitution. I guess if you don't do it to earn a living, its OK to trade sex for services as long as you don't make it your full time profession.

Or something like that...

edit on 12/20/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

"I had said it's not illegal to be a slut," Finkelstein's attorney, William Brennan, told the newspaper Tuesday. "And that's kind of what the court is saying."

Is it bad that I am laughing at this lawyer and the court calling her a slut?

Anyway, I have always felt that prostitution should be legal...To an extent...I think that if an adult decides to sell their body for money, and they are not being forced into it by anyone, then more power to them.

But I think laws need to be in place to protect child exploitation and to ensure that no one is forced into it.

If you are an adult and it is your choice, I think the government should have no say into whether you charge money or not.

My opinion may or may not be a popular one. But that is what I feel. So be it.

edit on 20-12-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The government only really cares when they're not getting a percentage of what you make.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I guess if you don't do it to earn a living, its OK to trade sex for services as long as you don't make it your full time profession.

Fort...my favorite poster...my friend.

You seem to have an issue with bartering - unless it's your soul for free will.

This should be legal, regardless of the type of payment. Regulate it just like any other global addiction...

If a woman, man, ladyboy, ect., want to exchange sex for goods, welcome it with open arms...

Reduce crime, improve public health...

edit on 20-12-2011 by facelift because: content edit

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Mind your own business. Problem solved.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I've got mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, if the government wanted to end human trafficking, they should legalize prostitution, take it out of the underground economy and regulate it to ensure sex workers are disease free. They would make sex slavery more difficult if the profession was legal and done in the light of day. They could even tax it and charge a licensing fee.

MrUncreated hit the government's opposition to the profession right on the nose, I think.

Originally posted by MrUncreated
The government only really cares when they're not getting a percentage of what you make.

On the other hand, there's no way in HELL I would want one of my daughters doing this for a living.

reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I also thought it was funny that her own attorney called her a slut.

edit on 12/20/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
What a good wife,offering her body for phillies tickets.

She added that her marriage hasn't suffered at all, saying her husband has been "her rock" throughout the ordeal.

Yea,I bet he has been her "rock".

Makes you wonder how it all went down,doesn't it.
edit on 20-12-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Prostitution is the oldest profession on the planet.

If two consenting adults want to have sex and one wants to pay the other, how is that a crime?

How is that any of yours, or mine or the government's business? How does it hurt anybody or help anybody but the two involved?

Now a lot of people will say that it leads to drugs and violence etc. This is only true when it remains illegal. Take Amsterdam for example. One of the highest drug uses per capita, highest prostitution per capita, yet some of the lowest crime rates per capita.

Why do you suppose that is? Cause the black market only exists for illegal or "morally" wrong items and services.

I'm still amazed that people are willing to sit by and let their rights be taken from them by a government whose busy lining it's pockets at your expense.

This is a great story and I'm happy the women didn't go to jail, there was no reason to. Nobody was hurt, nobody experienced significant loss and nobody was dishonest in their dealings. Under the true Common Law, there is no crime here.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 12/20/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Probably going to see scores of kerb crawlers with pocketfuls of game tickets from now on.

I wasn't soliciting for a prostitute your Honour, only a slut looking for tickets.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This is a great story and I'm happy the women didn't go to jail, there was no reason to. Nobody was hurt, nobody experienced significant loss and nobody was dishonest in their dealings. Under the true Common Law, there is no crime here.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

She still served out her full term of probation and community service so I'm not sure how much good this does her now.

Finkelstein served a year of probation and completed 100 hours of community service following her conviction. She also had lost her public relations job at a Philadelphia cancer research facility amid the publicity surrounding her arrest.

Sure, she gets the arrest wiped off her record but, with all the publicity this case attracted, how much good is that really going to do for her, especially after her own attorney called her a slut?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I"m assuming somebody of that mentality, who would offer sex for tickets, isn't going to have a problem being called a slut to win a court case

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

But I think laws need to be in place to protect child exploitation and to ensure that no one is forced into it.

I would edit my post to fix this typo but too much time has passed. What I meant to say is protecting against child exploitation. I mean, I think it is fairly obvious what I meant... But just wanted to clarify.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
(not directed at author of typo )
well the folks that run the show are taking your typo to heart
they will go to extreme lemgths to protect child exploytation
just google holly grieg, or sweat shops in china...

when the us went to war the seventh or eighth was how muslims treat thier women...

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Im sorry this is so short but this is all i need to say in regards to the so called law, "Tax Enforcement, and revenue generation from all tiers local to fed"

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Well, when you buy your girlfriends nice things so they sleep with you it isn't considered prostitution either.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Well, when you buy your girlfriends nice things so they sleep with you it isn't considered prostitution either.

I think that was the whole purpose of this ruling; to differentiate dating from the act of commercial prostitution.

They had to deliniate at what point paying for dinner and a movie and jewelery and rent, etc.. in return for sex from your girlfriend turned into the act of illegal prostitution. It seems the girl has to use sex as her main source of income in order for it to be considered as prostitution.

Where does this leave all those stay-at-home-moms out there?

top topics

join