It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 0.45%

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

"You stand there, deployment after deployment and fight on. You’ve lost relationships, spent years of your lives in extreme conditions, years apart from kids you’ll never get back, and beaten your body in a way that even professional athletes don’t understand. And you come home to a nation that doesn’t understand. They don’t understand suffering. They don’t understand sacrifice. They don’t understand that bad people exist. They look at you like you’re a machine – like something is wrong with you. You are the misguided one – not them. When you get out, you sit in the college classrooms with political science teachers that discount your opinions on Iraq and Afghanistan because YOU WERE THERE and can’t understand the “macro” issues they gathered from books with your bias. You watch TV shows where every vet has PTSD and the violent strain at that. Your Congress is debating your benefits, your retirement, and your pay, while they ask you to do more.

But the amazing thing about you is that you all know this. You know your country will never pay back what you’ve given up. You know that the populace at large will never truly understand or appreciate what you have done for them. Hell, you know that in some circles, you will be thought as less than normal for having worn the uniform. But you do it anyway. You do what the greatest men and women of this country have done since 1775 – YOU SERVED. Just that decision alone makes you part of an elite group.

Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few.

You are the 0.45%."

Not my words. From Ranger Up

Just tired of rolling into ATS every other night to the military bashing. But, I think we all get used to it over time, and irrespective of how you perceive us, we still do what we do. And we do it for you.
edit on 12/20/2011 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--EX tags.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
For what it's worth, thank you.

Your OP says a lot about what you've given up and I have no problems at all recognizing it and respecting it.

Oops. I'd better thank RangerUp

While I don't agree with US foreign policy on most issues, I do have a lot of respect for the soldiers. I don't like when I read so many ppl having an opinion on something they could not possibly have an understanding of unless they've been there and been physically and emotionally involved. I think it's 100 percent empirical.
edit on 20-12-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
See, when people bash the military. Their actually bashing the government behind the deployment. I love troops, both sides. War is objective to each side, no one is truly right or wrong.

All vets deserve 2 million dollars and a house and no taxes.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tangonine

First, thank you a million times...my Dad now deceased was Green Beret/Vietnam (Prostate Cancer/Agent Orange) and yes the words in your OP are very accurate. The wars may be viewed with many different opinions, but there's only one way to view a veteran and that's with LOVE!

Thank you again

edit on 12/20/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
For what it's worth, thank you.

Your OP says a lot about what you've given up and I have no problems at all recognizing it and respecting it.

Oops. I'd better thank RangerUp

While I don't agree with US foreign policy on most issues, I do have a lot of respect for the soldiers. I don't like when I read so many ppl having an opinion on something they could not possibly have an understanding of unless they've been there and been physically and emotionally involved. I think it's 100 percent empirical.
edit on 20-12-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

A simple "thank you" in a grocery store will take an infantryman an extra 10 miles humping 200lbs of gear through Kunar. Those two words matter.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Thank you. My husband and I both served in the Army. My husband does have some post traumatic stress that has taken years to get over, but I will never hear his whole story. Some of our friends dont get it because they never served and it can be depressing. My employer tells me, I appear to be uncaring at times and then people speak up saying, well you know she was in the Army....
I dont get it. I have some friends that cant even drive under a freeway underpass without getting upset, and nobody understands.
Sorry for the rant, I could have really got going on this one......

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePublicEnemyNo1

First thank you a million times...my Dad now deceased was Green Beret/Vietnam and yes the words in your OP are very accurate. The wars may be viewed with many different opinions, but there's only one way to see a veteran and that's with LOVE!

Thank you again

The special operations community is very very small. Your father was, by definition, one of the best men our nation could put forward. I can't thank him so I'll thank you.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
S&F

Thanks for the touching and accurate rendition of how things are.

I've known several vets over the years and it's a pity how they're treated sometimes.

They risked IT ALL for our freedoms.
We all owe them more then we can ever pay.
edit on 20-12-2011 by LazyGuy because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
Thank you. My husband and I both served in the Army. My husband does have some post traumatic stress that has taken years to get over, but I will never hear his whole story. Some of our friends dont get it because they never served and it can be depressing. My employer tells me, I appear to be uncaring at times and then people speak up saying, well you know she was in the Army....
I dont get it. I have some friends that cant even drive under a freeway underpass without getting upset, and nobody understands.

I understand. And that's why I posted this.

My best friend is still active duty (I'm out now) and in a high-level leadership position (staying vague on purpose) and he still gets jumpy in spots, so I know where you're coming from.
edit on 20-12-2011 by tangonine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Whenever I meet a serving soldier or a veteren of any service I shake their hand and say thank you for serving. I have done this for most of my life. Over the years I have had the honor to be able to shake the hand and thank 3 members of the Frozen Chosen. They live in the same area that I do and I met them totally by chance.

I am always struck by the reaction I get when I thank soldiers. I'm glad that I can let all who serve know that I appreciate them. THANK YOU!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
Whenever I meet a serving soldier or a veteren of any service I shake their hand and say thank you for serving. I have done this for most of my life. Over the years I have had the honor to be able to shake the hand and thank 3 members of the Frozen Chosen. They live in the same area that I do and I met them totally by chance.

I am always struck by the reaction I get when I thank soldiers. I'm glad that I can let all who serve know that I appreciate them. THANK YOU!!!

That's awesome. Every now and then I see a veteran in Safeway sporting a ballcap with MAC-V-SOG or the designation of a WWII boat... and these old guys... I cannot stop myself from taking 10 minutes out of my day to extend my hand and thank them and chat with them for a few minutes. It's literally the least I can do.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

Tell your husband to write, remember everything and write. It doesn't work for everybody, but it works for many.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

It isnt the military that is being bashed, but the way people in power use the military. All that patriotic talk and handing out shiny medals does not change the facts and while lying to all those John Cena fans makes them feel good about themselves, its not helping them.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666

It isnt the military that is being bashed, but the way people in power use the military. All that patriotic talk and handing out shiny medals does not change the facts and while lying to all those John Cena fans makes them feel good about themselves, its not helping them.

I don't even know who John Cena is. He's not "in power," as you state, in that he's not a representative or a member of senate, nor the president or a federal judge..so... kinda missing your point here. What "patriotic talk?" Who is it handing out "shiny medals" that you have a problem with? Or which medals, specifically, or do you have an issue with the recipients? Your post makes no sense to me.
edit on 20-12-2011 by tangonine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Its not the soldier people have a problem with, but the politicians who use the military. Soldiers shouldnt feel attacked when the people who direct and control the military are criticized. We know that soldiers just follow orders and try to do their duty as good as they can.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Maybe one day we'll be smart enough to have governments that settle disputes with games of chess.
After 5 games, the winner would be declared and the loser will be mature enough to accept defeat without knocking the chess board to the floor.

War and suffering are not products of an enlightened society.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Thank you for posting one of THE most accurate general descriptions of our service to our country.

I thank all who serve and have served, every chance I get, from the bottom of my heart.

I would serve proudly with any of you, and would go to hell for all of you!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
As a member of the military myself, I don't mind the thanks that I get, I do appreciate it. Honestly, I think they best way for Americans to show their appreciation for military is not through discounts ( most of us don't use them any way) or parades, but with exercising the rights that we swore to protect. The military's true purpose is to protect America's rights and freedoms from foreign threats, it is the American citizens' DUTY to protect America's rights and freedoms from domestic threats. Remember, a lot of us are unable to perform out duty as American citizens while we are gone, but every other American citizen needs to protect the Constitution for themselves, for their families, and for us.

My military experience hasn't been the best. Most of the time, I am not happy with being in the military after seeing the BS that goes on in the government and waste that happens, and I haven't even been in the Middle East. Transparency and integrity are two things sorely missed in the military. One of the greatest things I have gotten out of being in the military was living without the creature comforts and actually realizing what really important in the grand scheme of things. Having much time without MSM, movies, music, games, and other media really helped to clear my head and realize some much needed truth.

I do believe most of America wants to do the right, but they are afraid of taking a few steps back even though it allows for use to take more steps forward.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Great post. Star and flag. I am winding down what will be my last enlistment period. And I can say without a doubt that the words of your post ring true. I have a little more than 3 months to go and am in the process of looking for a job. A LOT of employers don't even want to consider veterans because of the PTSD issue. I have heard from others who got out that they were told in interviews that veteran status disqualifies them from a position because it is viewed as a liability. There is so much misunderstanding about this issue and it needs to be discussed.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I rarely see any military bashing on ATS, so I am not sure what you mean. If you mean questioning and complaining about the policies and involvement of the US, and what the president does with our military, then you worded it entirely wrong.

Most people do not have a problem or look down on anyone who is or was in the military. It has been said on these forums countless times that the soldiers aren't to blame, as they are just doing their jobs, so you cannot blame them really, and military bashing has to do with the policies of those who lead.

I do not see where so many people are looking down on our military men and women. I got out of the military not too many years ago, and I never experienced anything like that. I have two brothers and a cousin, plus friends, in the US army right now, and I am sure they would agree with me. I have actually been thanked by random people for my service on more than one occasion...

Yes, people who join choose to make a sacrifice. But, you cannot come back after the fact and complain that no one is bowing at your feet for that reason...Where is the honor in complaining like that? We made a choice to join the military, to make a difference, and could care less if we get praised for it. That is how I feel and felt while serving.

But, I suppose it is only human. I can't really blame anyone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join