It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers post cops’ personal data to avenge Occupy movement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Computer hackers are avenging the Occupy movement by exposing the personal information of police officers who evicted protesters and threatening family-values advocates who led a boycott of an American Muslim television show. In three Internet postings last week, hackers from the loose online coalition called Anonymous published the email and physical addresses, phone numbers and, in some cases, salary details of thousands of law enforcement officers all over the country. The hackers said they were retaliating for police violence during evictions of Occupy protest camps in cities around the country, but law enforcement advocates slammed the disclosures as dangerous. “I hope the individuals behind these cyberattacks understand the consequences of what they are doing,” said John Adler, president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association. “There are very dangerous criminals out there who might seek retribution” against any of these police officers.

I really consider this poor form. I know, I know everyone here hates cops and loves OWS. That's fine. What if cops started publishing details of OWS members? I'm all for police getting called out when they cross the line. They should be held to a higher standard. The bad ones make them all look bad, and then I have to defend the good ones (I suppose I don't have to). By all means, release the names of Officers if they are caught doing something wrong. Put the video on the news, and report the incident. Giving out personal details puts the families at risk and that's something I don't condone.

I have heard the argument, 'Well if their scared for their families lives they'll be more careful!' Yeah, maybe. They also may become more vicious and apt to take away that camera. Also is it really fair to have someone's family threatened because they acted poorly? I think not.

You may want to ask if anyone has actually been threatened and no, I don't see any evidence of that yet. I think it's a case of better safe than sorry when involving innocent people though. A cops five year old kid and wife probably have no idea what actually goes on when the husband goes out the door.

TLDR; Call out cops when they do something wrong but leave families and personal info out of it. Posting details online is not going to help at all, bring the documentation and file a suit if you have to.

Link

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I couldn't agree more with your take on this one Domo. In fact, I call it more than bad form, I call it a criminal act. What complete insanity. It's bad enough when the talk is to release personal details about a SPECIFIC Officer after a specific incident. Even that is cowardly and pathetic. Angry at the cop? Go confront the COP...not his wife or kid.

Also, for those who say but but but....Occupy won't hurt a family.. Well, hey, here is a newsflash for Ocupy and Anonymous, for those who SUPPORT this kind of thing. It isn't JUST Occupy who read these lists. You have real live criminals who have real victims and are REALLY bad people, also reading this list if it happens to cover cops in their area. Perhaps they even spot the cop's name who last busted them on a rape or a robbery for some little old lady. Well, next victim on the hit parade may now be that cop's wife or kid to avenge the bust that pissed the criminal off in the first place.

Doing stupid things like this is like releasing that man-made flu bug we're hearing about.... It's great to plan out what will happen..but it's almost certain to get wildly out of control before anyone can say boo. SO it is with this.... You can't even BEGIN to guess at who or what releases like this could cause in human misery and violent action..and it may have NOTHING TO DO with Occupy..but it was Anonymous who started the chain of events...and it's Occupy people I hear cheering this being done in some corners.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Im really glad this is being done. These cops need to take responsibility for there actions. No i dont think anyone would hurt these officers family, i really hope not. But i wouldn't mind seeing these dirty cops get a beating like they deserve, or house vandalized at the least.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
They didn't really 'release' anything
All these names an addresses and information are freely available online, you can find them, you just have to know where to look. Anyone who wants to know where police live, do.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
... Maybe Anonymous is a CIA operation. Get enough of these Cops and their families harassed, and the Feds have a good reason to proclaim Martial Law... Well, one reason anyway.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This appears to be just doxing. I would bet a fair amount of this information is freely available and there are many tools by which you can profile people and dig into their details without hacking. People love to talk about themselves, look at the 500 million users of Facebook as an example. People need to understand that what you post is more or less recoverable by anyone, anytime, anywhere.

** just saw user AzureSky's post while typing mine out....completely agree with him/her.

brill
edit on 20-12-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
They didn't really 'release' anything
All these names an addresses and information are freely available online, you can find them, you just have to know where to look. Anyone who wants to know where police live, do.

That is probably true and if one looks hard enough, you could probably find the personal details of anyone you'd like. It was a few years ago the Social Security Numbers of several high ranking US Generals and Politicians were discovered in the open on some forgotten document in a backwater of the internet.

How many inmates or people who would be a threat to a cop and his family at home actually have technical expertise to find it though? Making a nice neat list like this makes it possible for even the most technologically challenged idiot with a criminal history to know their arresting officer (or his family) in ways no one ever intended.

edit on 20-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Its great. The government has been threatening our families our whole lives. People need to wake up. Stop being a tool to someone who doesnt care about you. This attack is going to make the officers scared for their families well being aswell as their own. As the OWS protesters feel everyday they are out there. Its ok for theows to be beaten, thrown in jail, and possessions to be destroyed? But the tools doing it are immune? F that. I was in the military, i have seen the brainwashing first hand. Its inhumane. Hopefully the cops stop showing up to work. They are chosing their jobs over countrymen.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It isn't JUST Occupy who read these lists.

Which is my chief concern. OWS protesters have actually been very peaceable in my opinion even though I don't entirely agree or support the cause/methods.

And to the people saying this is just simple doxing, of course it is. The problem is that when you 'dox' someone and then release that information it seems there is only one purpose. Harassment. What other point is there? I'm sure the cop will welcome the pizzas and free Bibles, but get a crazy person thinking he's going to impress theinternet and it's a recipe for disaster.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
And to the people saying this is just simple doxing, of course it is. The problem is that when you 'dox' someone and then release that information it seems there is only one purpose. Harassment.

Simple solution....don't post personal information on the Net. You can't blame the availability of personally posted information if its used in a manner you deem threatening, if that is even the case here. How can you "release" information that is freely available
Hacking is another story.

brill

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
do u ever get tired of trolling?
scnd

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dankety
Im really glad this is being done. These cops need to take responsibility for there actions. No i dont think anyone would hurt these officers family, i really hope not. But i wouldn't mind seeing these dirty cops get a beating like they deserve, or house vandalized at the least.

Seriously? You would hope at the least that their homes are vandalized? For doing their job?

I hope you are the pizza delivery guy who brings my order to my door 5 minutes late. Perhaps I should slash your tires.

Police violence is a serious concern, but honestly, do you really want to bring their children into it?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CharonIncarnate
F that. I was in the military, i have seen the brainwashing first hand. Its inhumane.

What brainwashing did you see in the military? Proof of that please.

I served in the USAF on active duty for 10 years and never was brainwashed. I enjoyed my time there, as tough as it was with the deployments and all and didn't like all the things I had to do, but did them with honor.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CharonIncarnate
This attack is going to make the officers scared for their families well being as well as their own.

Substitute "Jews" for "officers" in this sentence and you sound like a Nazi.

When you bring families in as combatants, you are very very, wrong.

People who think like that are the true enemy of our Democracy.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Email and physical addresses, phone numbers and, in some cases, salary details. Can't anybody with a computer get this information without being a "hacker" if they could be bothered.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thebestnr1

do u ever get tired of trolling? scnd

Was that directed my way? I hope not. Not everyone who disagrees with you is a troll. There is a search engine. I think it's name rhymes with Gargle. Use it, look up the word you obviously don't understand, then get back to me sport.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeussusZ

I'd mentioned this once before, but as a matter of fact, no. It can't necessarily be had. It depends on the state and how much effort they've put into protecting their Police. In many states a cop has the option...or it's automatic in other cases...for all personal information related to the Officer being flagged in the state and federal databases for restricted view/release. It's a security measure to prevent exactly this kind of thing and specifically to protect those who work undercover. However, it is for them all in the states that have laws on it. (a large number of them)

Many of those same states also make it a criminal offense punishable by jail terms in the public release of a Police Officer's personal details in anything but an innocent mistake. An inadvertent listing where their job wasn't even known, let alone the whole POINT of making their home address a public piece of data have generally been overlooked in the past.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I didn't think you were trolling Domo...you made a good point...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tsawyer2

Proof? Proof?common guys proof? Lol i can supply proof that i was in the military. Do you really think that they would leave proof of what they do? If you believe that i would call your intelligence into question. Exhibit A, you went 10 years in the military, and did not see any brainwashing. Wow. Its ok. Its close minded people like you that have let this monster that goes unchecked to control this world. Boot camp is brainwashing. There is your proof. Ask a marine what they went through. Kill kill kill. Morons call this training. Dont get me wrong i love the people that serve our military. Its for the right reasons.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tsawyer2

And we are not a true democracy. We are a plutocracy/empire. Lol are you new to this site or do you just choose to eat what the government feeds you?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join